Found a ring that says 10KP. ?

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Upvote 0
OP
OP
stevemc

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I looked it up on line. It stated that 10 karat gold can be as low as 9.5 and that 10KP means it is 10 Karat as stated. I learned something.

May 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The P stands for "plumb" gold meaning it is exactly 10k - no less. It's a good find :icon_thumleft:.

Roundness

Apr 27, 2013
La Vergne, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pinpointer II, Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I looked it up on line. It stated that 10 karat gold can be as low as 9.5 and that 10KP means it is 10 Karat as stated. I learned something.

I also learned something... Thanks

DJWEHAGE

Nov 30, 2012
Aberdeen, MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 21, CZ20, CZ 7a Pro, Equinox 800, Stealth 920xi
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
What a coincidence! I just found an earring with 10KP stamped on it. I assumed it was plated.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
585925 is 100% CORRECT

A large majority of antique jewelry has the KP mark, you might have a nice old ring on your hands

8FA3438A-26E4-49CE-AF1B-7F900404BD40.jpeg

Here is a cut and paste with additional information yiu might find interesting from a site I frequent
It sheds deeper detail into the why...

Karat Plumb - What does it Mean?

If you've got a piece of gold jewellery you might find a stamp on it that gives the caratage of the piece followed by the letters KP. For example, 14KP, or even 585KP. The KP stands for "Karat Plumb". Obviously the Karat refers to the purity of the gold, while the plumb can be considered to mean 'exact', in the same way that a 'plumb' wall is exactly vertical or a 'plum' surface is exactly horizontal.

In gold bullion terms it means that the gold stamped with the KP is guaranteed to have a gold purity not less than indicated but could possibly be slightly more pure. So, for example, a bracelet stamped 14KP is guaranteed to contain 58.33% gold or more. Another bracelet stamped 585KP is guaranteed to contain 58.5% pure gold or more. The KP stamp is designed to eliminate the non standard caratage tolerances that some markets allow for. In the USA, for example, gold can be sold at up to 0.5 carat more than it's actual gold content. So, a ring marked 14K can contain just 13.5 carats of gold. Furthermore, even though the USA only allows jewellery to be sold as gold with a minimum of 10 carats purity, the 0.5 carat leeway still applies and 9.5 carat is the actual minimum. So, as a consumer you'd be better off purchasing a ring stamped 10KP than a ring stamped 10K.

saltednuts

Feb 12, 2011
york county, penn.
Detector(s) used
presently garrett gta 1000 , fisher cz5 and now a fisher cz21 10.5" coil and vibra=quatic 2 pinpointer add another cz21
I always understood it to mean Karat Pure was taught that by a old precious metal dealer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread