Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It has been a tough Jan and Feb here on the west coast of Florida. Cold weather really reduced beach traffic and if they don't go to the beach than no one goes in the water. As for the water, temps have been also below normal so even if someone got to the beach the chances were slim that they would enter the water. Because of the low beach traffic, dry and wet sand finds have been dismal based on casual talks with numerous detectorists in the area. For example, Jerry, who actually lives just off Clearwater beach on the outer bank told me yesterday that he has found only 2 small 10k charms on Clearwater beach this year and he has the chance to detect every day as well as evenings! Personally, I've been to Clearwater beach 10 times this year (about 60 hrs) and haven't found any gold and only one small piece of silver (ear ring back). I have found 4 junk bands (3-SS, 1-Tungsten) and about 8-9 coins/hr, but this is very depressed from the past 3 years, when I find gold about every 30 hrs of beach hunting.

Talked to Jim today who was at Howard Park, at Tarpon Springs. A Snow Bird, who arrives in November, I saw his Excal in his open trunk and decided to see what he thought about MDing this Winter on the west coast of Florida. He expressed the same feelings that things were slow due to the cold weather and cold water. "Haven't really found much this year", he said after I asked about his finds this year. The wind was blowing about 15mph with a wind chill coming off the Gulf and it was low 70s, at least it was sunny.

Spring Break is here and there are crowds now at the beach but not many going into the water. Spent 5 hrs in the water yesterday and found a few coins and junk ear ring. Couldn't believe how quiet it was in the water...had to hit the dry sand once-in-a-while just to dig some signals, any signals as I wasn't being picky. It is sad when you enjoy digging cents, just to dig something. This isn't to say you can't find gold, eventually, but it is just harder. I did snag a small (2.84g) 10k white gold and diamond band last Friday (12:06 on CTX 3030) at a local beach but it took me 115 hrs of MDing (not all at the same time) to find the band whereas in previous years I would have found 3 or 4 by now!

WG and Diamond Band 030218.jpg

PS The wife confiscated the white gold and diamond band since it fit her perfectly...now back to the beach. I'll let you know how March turns-out.

Upvote 0

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yes it has been a cool time sometimes and we had a fairly long spell in December of rough weather. My wife and I found a good spot in early December that gave up lots of 100% crusty coins and so far just silver and plated rings, bracelets and chains. Almost no iron. Some non ferrous junk that had been there a while 1943 50 caliber machine gun bullets and shells. And other old stuff. Hitsceverywhere. Then it got rough. Next time we went it was really sanded, nothing in the water, or Beach, since it had several feet of new sand on it. Then you have the solid fact of horrible traffic at this time of year. Makes you want to get out when the sun comes up.

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
You know it is bad when even the dry sand is not producing anything. Hopefully things will pick up in March.

OP
OP
L

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Its raining right now (11 pm on Tuesday) and the forecast is for rain in the morning with 25 mile/hr winds, high 60s and 4 ft surf - a perfect time to hit the "dry" sand. I'm waking up at 5:15 am, walking the dog and will be at the beach by 7 am. I plan to hit the blanket lines and paths all day. I'll swing my 17" coil for 5-7 hrs loving every minute of it, and go home wet, hungry and thirsty...and feeling good.

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
You had a great day. mine sucked! lol...got about $1 in clad.

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
I don't know about the west coast but here on Florida's east coast, the very cool weather has discouraged many depositors from making their normal deposits...and they darn sure aren't going into the water even if they do come to the beach for a few hours. Additionally, authorities are dumping tons of new sand around the Cocoa area in preparation for the upcoming warmer weather and the great number of visitors we normally get in spring and summer.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah man it's been difficult indeed! Longest I have gone between good finds. Fortunately no-one I know here has done much better... not that I don't want them to.

Light weather has kept erosion to a minimum, and cold weather has kept the finds on the fingers.

My last few water hunts turned up zero.. not even a quarter!

My best dry sand hunt lately turned up a couple bucks in clad and a junk necklace. I went back a week later and found NOTHING. So it must have been seeded LONG ago... and I cleaned it out.

So I'd say you did well!

OP
OP
L

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Its raining right now (11 pm on Tuesday) and the forecast is for rain in the morning with 25 mile/hr winds, high 60s and 4 ft surf - a perfect time to hit the "dry" sand. I'm waking up at 5:15 am, walking the dog and will be at the beach by 7 am. I plan to hit the blanket lines and paths all day. I'll swing my 17" coil for 5-7 hrs loving every minute of it, and go home wet, hungry and thirsty...and feeling good.

If you're following this thread, you must see how my hunt turned-out!!! Just amazing and personal best! Thanks for following.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/beach-shallow-water/571352-five-ring-hole-record-md-find.html

NaplesMark

Tenderfoot
Jan 15, 2017
SW Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030; Equinox 800; Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Gold + ice in scoop today

14k mans ring w/ diamond...way to go Excal II 👍🏻✨
A3ECE21F-E986-4866-888E-BAF84D44C7DD.jpeg

Top Member Reactions