Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I posted the night before on TreasureNet that I was getting up at 5:15am, walking the dog and getting to the beach for a full day (8 hrs) of metal detecting by 7am. I followed through on that post and boy am I glad I did!

I enjoy dry sand MDing but I'd rather be in the (mild) surf. However, 4 foot waves crashing into the shore every 6 seconds is too much for these ole bones - but, the forecast of 20 mph winds and cool and cloudy day at the beach temped me. Beach traffic would be minimal. I couldn't resist.

It was 3 1/2 hrs into my 8 hr hunt and I had just hit a good target, registering 12:42 on the CTX 3030 with 17" coil and I thought another cent or dime...After 4 scoops of sand with my front-loader sized scoop (Stealth 920iX) the target was still down there and I was having seconds thoughts. I raised my coil about a foot above the sand and the signal disappeared so I figured it wasn't a Can or Can top so I gave it one more full scoop; checking the hole the signal finally disappeared and I shook-out the sand scoop and, at first, couldn't believe my eyes. So I shook the scoop one-more-time and blinked my eyes and there at the bottom of my scoop were 3 rings; a large band and 2 thinner rings with clear stones. Diamonds? HOLY S*** I thought to myself - THREE RINGS IN A SINGLE SCOOP!!! Never had that before. I quickly tucked the rings into my safety pouch. Gotta check the hole again, I thought - a faint signal and up came another ring. FOUR FU***** RINGS!!! By this time I don't even think I was thinking straight. I checked the hole again and silence. But I wasn't deterred, I gave the hole one more full scoop and checked - nothing. Better check the previous sand spills - sure enough another signal... and a fifth ring. Five rings in one hole, I quietly said to myself; five rings. But the rings were deep, real deep; I figured at least a foot or more. Heck, my scoop is 13" x 9" and I was hitting deep into the center of the wide hole several times. Also, the 3-ring set discussed below were mildly corroded, suggesting that they were down there for some time.

The rings must have been there for years; but is that even possible on such a popular beach with hundreds if not 1,000 or more detectorists hitting it every year and multiple times? But no one buries their rings so deep when just visiting the beach. I surmise that the rings were initially buried a few inches below the sand and underneath a towel or blanket...and lost. Over time, rain and very high tides, the rings sank down to their final resting place until I came along with a 17" coil. I do believe that most detectors don't go down more than 9" or so; unless they have a larger coil. So, I was at the right place at the right time with the right equipment and right attitude - don't give-up. Food for thought.

Five Ring Find 030718.jpg

As for the rings, the large band was sterling (6.11g, 11:47 air test) and one of the small bands that also has 23 diamonds (test positive) was sterling (1.87g, 12:34). [Sterling rings are toward knuckle]. The 3-ring set is costume jewelry but look good together (2g each, 12:29 each). Also found a sterling ear ring loop (3.64g, 12:24), Skull ring (16.64g, 12:11, pictured), an unmarked silver and 2 ct aquamarine stone with beautiful cut ear ring (1.31g, 12:30), and a copper, previously silver plated, ring with 6 small clear stones (1.02g, 12:34). Did I mention 123 coins? What a day. And a personal MD best I'll always remember - a 3-ring scoop and 5-ring hole. WOW

Jewelry Finds 030718.jpg

Skull Ring 030718.jpg

PS I'm reporting these finds the next day. I swing the CTX 3030 with 17" coil for 5-8 hrs but I do take a 10 minute lunch break and change hands/arms every 30-60 minutes. And, Yes, I hurt like hell and couldn't sleep last night because of all the aches and pains, even with Ibuprofen. But I wouldn't change it for the World. I call it my "Catholic Work-out"; love that pain and suffering in some strange way.

Upvote 0

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on an awesome hunt!

Use a sling, it helps a whole lot!

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow That is incredible!!! My best is 3 rings in one scoop in the dry sand could actually count as 4 because 2 were welded together lol

ltd063

Sep 28, 2016
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 & Excal II, Tesoro SandShark, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! What an awesome day!

Roundness

Apr 27, 2013
La Vergne, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pinpointer II, Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a haul.... Did you buy a lottery ticket today? Congrats

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice hunt! Why don't you get the pro-sweep and take the weight of the 17in coil off the body. I have the same set up and I can swing it for 8 hours no problem. Makes a huge difference.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sweet finds! :occasion14:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a Killer day, ring wise and 8 hours!! :headbang:

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your scoop probably didn't know what to do seeing all that!

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well done. I'm fairly certain I know where you were hunting. I almost went but couldn't get myself out of bed to make the low tide. Nice hunt glad you scored.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ok, now I definately hate you

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, Awesome Hunt! Congrats!:icon_thumright:

strick

Feb 28, 2005
SF Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Embarrassed to tell
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow nice going...had a two ring hole once both gold...keep up the stellar finds!

strick

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something you don't hear every day, congratulations.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread