Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: FIVE RING HOLE !!! RECORD MD FIND!!!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Feb 2014
    Ohio and Florida
    CTX3030 w 11" and 17" Butterfly coils, Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil Vibra-Tector 730 w 4" coil Whites (1970s)
    1080 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

FIVE RING HOLE !!! RECORD MD FIND!!!

I posted the night before on TreasureNet that I was getting up at 5:15am, walking the dog and getting to the beach for a full day (8 hrs) of metal detecting by 7am. I followed through on that post and boy am I glad I did!

I enjoy dry sand MDing but I'd rather be in the (mild) surf. However, 4 foot waves crashing into the shore every 6 seconds is too much for these ole bones - but, the forecast of 20 mph winds and cool and cloudy day at the beach temped me. Beach traffic would be minimal. I couldn't resist.

It was 3 1/2 hrs into my 8 hr hunt and I had just hit a good target, registering 12:42 on the CTX 3030 with 17" coil and I thought another cent or dime...After 4 scoops of sand with my front-loader sized scoop (Stealth 920iX) the target was still down there and I was having seconds thoughts. I raised my coil about a foot above the sand and the signal disappeared so I figured it wasn't a Can or Can top so I gave it one more full scoop; checking the hole the signal finally disappeared and I shook-out the sand scoop and, at first, couldn't believe my eyes. So I shook the scoop one-more-time and blinked my eyes and there at the bottom of my scoop were 3 rings; a large band and 2 thinner rings with clear stones. Diamonds? HOLY S*** I thought to myself - THREE RINGS IN A SINGLE SCOOP!!! Never had that before. I quickly tucked the rings into my safety pouch. Gotta check the hole again, I thought - a faint signal and up came another ring. FOUR FU***** RINGS!!! By this time I don't even think I was thinking straight. I checked the hole again and silence. But I wasn't deterred, I gave the hole one more full scoop and checked - nothing. Better check the previous sand spills - sure enough another signal... and a fifth ring. Five rings in one hole, I quietly said to myself; five rings. But the rings were deep, real deep; I figured at least a foot or more. Heck, my scoop is 13" x 9" and I was hitting deep into the center of the wide hole several times. Also, the 3-ring set discussed below were mildly corroded, suggesting that they were down there for some time.

The rings must have been there for years; but is that even possible on such a popular beach with hundreds if not 1,000 or more detectorists hitting it every year and multiple times? But no one buries their rings so deep when just visiting the beach. I surmise that the rings were initially buried a few inches below the sand and underneath a towel or blanket...and lost. Over time, rain and very high tides, the rings sank down to their final resting place until I came along with a 17" coil. I do believe that most detectors don't go down more than 9" or so; unless they have a larger coil. So, I was at the right place at the right time with the right equipment and right attitude - don't give-up. Food for thought.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Five Ring Find 030718.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	1561106

As for the rings, the large band was sterling (6.11g, 11:47 air test) and one of the small bands that also has 23 diamonds (test positive) was sterling (1.87g, 12:34). [Sterling rings are toward knuckle]. The 3-ring set is costume jewelry but look good together (2g each, 12:29 each). Also found a sterling ear ring loop (3.64g, 12:24), Skull ring (16.64g, 12:11, pictured), an unmarked silver and 2 ct aquamarine stone with beautiful cut ear ring (1.31g, 12:30), and a copper, previously silver plated, ring with 6 small clear stones (1.02g, 12:34). Did I mention 123 coins? What a day. And a personal MD best I'll always remember - a 3-ring scoop and 5-ring hole. WOW

Name:	Jewelry Finds 030718.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	1561108

Name:	Skull Ring 030718.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	1561109

PS I'm reporting these finds the next day. I swing the CTX 3030 with 17" coil for 5-8 hrs but I do take a 10 minute lunch break and change hands/arms every 30-60 minutes. And, Yes, I hurt like hell and couldn't sleep last night because of all the aches and pains, even with Ibuprofen. But I wouldn't change it for the World. I call it my "Catholic Work-out"; love that pain and suffering in some strange way.
    toddbbq, AARC, ltd063 and 24 others like this.
    Metal Detecting Goal in Life is to Find Wife a 2ct Diamond Ring (so she'll be quiet about all my metal detecting).

Charter Member
    us
    Low & Slow 2C Below

Sep 2017
    SW Washington
    CTX 3030, XP DEUS, Excalibur II Garrett ATP, Whites DFX, Tesoro Golden ĶMax, & YUP->Custom Waterscoop
    3213 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Congratulations on an awesome hunt!

Use a sling, it helps a whole lot!
    LawrencetheMDer likes this.
    Wayne Gretzky: "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."

Charter Member
    us
    Todd In Lutz FL

Apr 2014
    Lutz FL
    Equinox 800,CTX with Coiltek 14x9 coil, T-Rex scoop and ATPro
    815 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Wow That is incredible!!! My best is 3 rings in one scoop in the dry sand could actually count as 4 because 2 were welded together lol

us
    Sep 2016
    NC
    Minelab Equinox 800 & Excal II, Tesoro SandShark, White's DFX
    371 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Congrats! What an awesome day!

us
    Eddie

Apr 2013
    La Vergne, TN
    Garrett Pinpointer, White's TRX, Garrett AT Max, White's V3i
    697 times
    Metal Detecting
    What a haul.... Did you buy a lottery ticket today? Congrats
    "HAVE DETECTOR - WILL DIG FOR CHEESEBURGERS"

Charter Member
    us
    Chronic Patriot/Metal Detecting,it`s My Lifestyle !

Jul 2010
    "Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territory of The Six Nations 1779.. now in Catlin N.Y.
    XP Deus, T2 LTD Land or Sea Pointer Garrett Pointer Treasure Wise Diggers T10",T12" & T14" Lesche 28" Ground shark
    4855 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Nice beach hunt !
    I`v been detecting for 49 years owned my own detector shop G.A.P. Metal Detectors here in N.Y.
    See my old adds in Western & Eastern Treasures and Lost Treasure Magazines through the 90s
    I hunt the Sullivan Trail here in N.Y.
    "Success is just Rented, Never Owned and the Rent is due Daily"
    "Its the Golden Rule who ever has the Gold Rules"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqdSl2jFjlE

Feb 2007
    Bradenton, Fl
    ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
    740 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    wow! I've never had 2 in one scoop. incredible!!!
    Debby

Charter Member
    us
    Make America Great Again!

May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000; Equinox 600 -- Tesoro Mojave -- Makro Multi Kruzer -- Notka Pinpointer -- Grave Digger Tools Nemesis shovel, Sidekick hand digger
    18388 times
    Metal Detecting

Charter Member
    us
    ZO6 Guy

Jan 2014
    Los Angeles
    Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
    1187 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Nice hunt! Why don't you get the pro-sweep and take the weight of the 17in coil off the body. I have the same set up and I can swing it for 8 hours no problem. Makes a huge difference.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2014
    Massachusetts
    Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II, Quattro & X-terra 705; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i & DFX
    12491 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Sweet finds!

OBN
    us
    Dec 2008
    Mid-Atlantic Waters
    Excalibur
    4606 times
    Old Gold, New Gold, Any Gold
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    That's a Killer day, ring wise and 8 hours!!

Effort is Important, But knowing where, can make all the difference!

us
    Mar 2012
    Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
    Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3). Detecting since 1972.
    454 times
    Your scoop probably didn't know what to do seeing all that!

Apr 2015
    CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
    1201 times
    Metal Detecting
    Well done. I'm fairly certain I know where you were hunting. I almost went but couldn't get myself out of bed to make the low tide. Nice hunt glad you scored.
    Minelab Equinox 800,Fisher CZ-21, Excalibur II

... waiting to see that elusive dowser on the beach with a bucket of gold rings ...

Charter Member

Dec 2012
    MXT-PRO Sandshark
    10524 times
    Metal Detecting
    ok, now I definately hate you
    WHEN WILL YOU SUBMIT TO MY BRILLIANCE AND IMPROVE YOUR LIFE?

Charter Member
    us
    Jeff

Jan 2017
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
    1041 times
    Wow, Awesome Hunt! Congrats!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links