Stealth 720i Sand Scoop Question

Sand Sifter

Mar 13, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I'm finally upgrading from my piddly short handled hand scoop to something much better. I'm getting ready to purchase a Stealth 720i, but there is a scoop option I need help with. In the past, the holes have been 1/2", but now you can have the option of 1/4" holes in the bottom and the back. It seems like with that much 1/4" coverage wet sand would have a tendency to sit there and not want to sift out or at least take longer. (I'm sure the small holes are there for good reason earring charms etc.) Does anyone have experience with 1/4" holes in this or other scoops. Is 1/4" a good thing or go with their standard 1/2" holes. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Upvote 0

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I have the 720I , 1/2 holes, I ended up putting some .26 x .26 mesh in the back. If I buy another..I may go smaller to catch the little stuff n not have to worry about the mesh. But right now I'm happy with what I have. I hunt only in the water and use a sifter 99% of the time also.

bklein

Feb 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the 920 with the smaller hole back option. It always fills with larger sand stuff and I don’t find many small targets. I’d advise going with larger holes and an optional add on screen if you want it. Then you have a better scoop for the dry sand...

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I own both a 920 and 720. My 720 has 1/4" holes in the back and on the floor. Once you continually chase small gold that falls through 1/2" holes, you'll want 1/4" holes as well. The 1/4" version doesn't drain as fast as the 1/2" version but that's to be expected. My 920 came with small holes in the back only so I added 1/4" stainless steel mesh to the bottom. Works fine for where and the way I hunt.

Even if you use the scoop and dump method most of the time like I do, it's a trade off: fast drain with possible loss of small targets or slower drain with a better chance of capturing smaller targets. Since 99% of my metal detecting is on our beaches, and "depositors" are always losing small stuff, I prefer to enhance my odds of capturing those small gold and silver items by using the 1/4" holes.

But as I always say, that's just the view from my foxhole...

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the S3I WITH 1/4 Holes. I have had it for 10 year and love.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own both a 920 and 720. My 720 has 1/4" holes in the back and on the floor. Once you continually chase small gold that falls through 1/2" holes, you'll want 1/4" holes as well. The 1/4" version doesn't drain as fast as the 1/2" version but that's to be expected. My 920 came with small holes in the back only so I added 1/4" stainless steel mesh to the bottom. Works fine for where and the way I hunt.

Even if you use the scoop and dump method most of the time like I do, it's a trade off: fast drain with possible loss of small targets or slower drain with a better chance of capturing smaller targets. Since 99% of my metal detecting is on our beaches, and "depositors" are always losing small stuff, I prefer to enhance my odds of capturing those small gold and silver items by using the 1/4" holes.

But as I always say, that's just the view from my foxhole...

Same here, I have both too. As mentioned, the big holes sift faster, but, small stuff falls through. In the surf you would want the small holes as sifting is not much of a problem, but, having to chase a small target in the shifting sand, is. In the dry, the big holes are better because of the better sifting, and if you have a pin pointer, finding the tiny targets is no big deal. Wet sand won't make much difference which you choose. Either way, you're going to dump the slug of sand and spread it out to locate the target. Personally, I prefer the 920ix. The added shifting time in the dry just isn't that significant to me. I recommend the carbon fiber handle and the add-on lift assist handle too.

DnD

Aug 24, 2012
First Coast, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX, Nox800, Excal, Explorer, CZ, AT, Sea Hunter, DP Pulse & Diver, Surf PI, BHID, and BH
Primary Interest:
My beaches have a lot of coquina / shell and clog up the smaller holes quickly. Only way the small holes sift is in the water or in bone dry sand. Regardless, of which model you pick, just stick with a Stealth. I'm going on six years with mine....still love it!

OP
OP
Sand Sifter

Sand Sifter

Mar 13, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all of the advice. I actually ended up ordering the Stealth 920iX from Chuck, with an Anderson one piece carbon fiber handle from Pete through John at Xtreme Scoops. (A super nice and helpful guy by the way). It was a bit of a back and forth, but I went with the 1/2" holes over the smaller slots along the back and bottom. I guess faster sifting and I could use it in dry sand if I wander out of the water. I dunno... It was kind of a toss up. I guess if something gets through the 1/2" hole I'll chase it around, but hopefully that won't be often.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.. so I added 1/4" stainless steel mesh to the bottom. Works fine for where and the way I hunt...

Very interesting concept and thought to do the same many times my only question is :...how do you secure the stainless steel mesh to the Scoop?

Cheers and thanx for your anticipated fast reply

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Very interesting concept and thought to do the same many times my only question is :...how do you secure the stainless steel mesh to the Scoop?

Cheers and thanx for your anticipated fast reply

I use small zip ties in multiple locations. The screen is very secure and the ties don't interfere with digging, scooping or dumping. If I ever decide to change my mind on 1/4" holes, I can always cut the ties and remove the screen. Another option obviously is to weld the screen onto the scoop. However, I prefer the option to remove it.

Scoop Screen.jpg

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I use small zip ties in multiple locations. The screen is very secure and the ties don't interfere with digging, scooping or dumping. If I ever decide to change my mind on 1/4" holes, I can always cut the ties and remove the screen. Another option obviously is to weld the screen onto the scoop. However, I prefer the option to remove it.

View attachment 1564497

Looks Good!

I tried the same but I dig in a lot of clam shells and clay mixes, which breaks those ties with in a few hunts. About all I can do is run the mesh in the back. I just have to make sure I lift the bucket to the back and level coming out of the water.

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Looks Good!

I tried the same but I dig in a lot of clam shells and clay mixes, which breaks those ties with in a few hunts. About all I can do is run the mesh in the back. I just have to make sure I lift the bucket to the back and level coming out of the water.

True. Success depends on your ability to adapt to the environment...and you obviously have! :icon_thumright:

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I made my own for fresh water hunting, I took a regular shovel. then cut back and side plates . Drilled 1/2 inch holes (Should have drilled 3/8) in the shovel and plates. heated up the shovel neck and bent to the angle i wanted. Then welded the backing and sides on it. The reason i used regular steel is because it in magnetic. I then put a small magnet in the back of the scoop. It makes the whole scoop magnet and things such as bobby pins , fish hooks and all other small types ferrous metals from falling through the scoop holes. When in water those things can be a pain. I also line the scoop with a fine mesh to catch things. IMG_3166.JPG The scoop in the middle is the one I made and it really WORKS GREAT !~!! I do not feel in non salt water you need Stainless Steel

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Hi Colonel Dan, from a post from last year, where did you source the 1/4" mesh (assuming it is SS.)

yes, it is SS. The name is Clint Russell. He sells perforated steel on eBay.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions