Stealth 720i Sand Scoop Question
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree21Likes
  • 1 Post By OBN
  • 1 Post By bklein
  • 3 Post By ColonelDan
  • 1 Post By ron lord
  • 1 Post By DnD
  • 1 Post By WaterScoop
  • 5 Post By ColonelDan
  • 2 Post By OBN
  • 2 Post By ColonelDan
  • 1 Post By Gare
  • 1 Post By FloridaSon
  • 2 Post By ColonelDan

Thread: Stealth 720i Sand Scoop Question

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Mar 2018
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Stealth 720i Sand Scoop Question

Well, I'm finally upgrading from my piddly short handled hand scoop to something much better. I'm getting ready to purchase a Stealth 720i, but there is a scoop option I need help with. In the past, the holes have been 1/2", but now you can have the option of 1/4" holes in the bottom and the back. It seems like with that much 1/4" coverage wet sand would have a tendency to sit there and not want to sift out or at least take longer. (I'm sure the small holes are there for good reason earring charms etc.) Does anyone have experience with 1/4" holes in this or other scoops. Is 1/4" a good thing or go with their standard 1/2" holes. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

OBN
    us
    Dec 2008
    Mid-Atlantic Waters
    Excalibur
    5404 times
    2019.....Gold rings..100..Misc/gold 9.....Silver/Sterling 239
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I have the 720I , 1/2 holes, I ended up putting some .26 x .26 mesh in the back. If I buy another..I may go smaller to catch the little stuff n not have to worry about the mesh. But right now I'm happy with what I have. I hunt only in the water and use a sifter 99% of the time also.
    RustyGold likes this.

Effort is Important, But knowing where, can make all the difference!

us
    Feb 2012
    58 times
    I have the 920 with the smaller hole back option. It always fills with larger sand stuff and I don’t find many small targets. I’d advise going with larger holes and an optional add on screen if you want it. Then you have a better scoop for the dry sand...
    DJWEHAGE likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Colonel

Jan 2014
    Central Florida
    CTX 3030; EQX 800; Excal II
    801 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    I own both a 920 and 720. My 720 has 1/4" holes in the back and on the floor. Once you continually chase small gold that falls through 1/2" holes, you'll want 1/4" holes as well. The 1/4" version doesn't drain as fast as the 1/2" version but that's to be expected. My 920 came with small holes in the back only so I added 1/4" stainless steel mesh to the bottom. Works fine for where and the way I hunt.

Even if you use the scoop and dump method most of the time like I do, it's a trade off: fast drain with possible loss of small targets or slower drain with a better chance of capturing smaller targets. Since 99% of my metal detecting is on our beaches, and "depositors" are always losing small stuff, I prefer to enhance my odds of capturing those small gold and silver items by using the 1/4" holes.

But as I always say, that's just the view from my foxhole...
    cudamark, WaterScoop and RustyGold like this.
    ~The Challenge: Big Beach; Little Coil; Tiny Targets~

~"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication"~ Leonardo da Vinci

~Pre-determined settings serve only to get you in the ballpark. Itís up to you to pick the best seat~

us
    Retired

Apr 2007
    Zephyrhills Fl
    excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
    1560 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    Honorable Mentions (6)
    I have the S3I WITH 1/4 Holes. I have had it for 10 year and love.
    Last edited by ron lord; Mar 14, 2018 at 01:09 PM.
    WaterScoop likes this.

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    7317 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelDan View Post
    I own both a 920 and 720. My 720 has 1/4" holes in the back and on the floor. Once you continually chase small gold that falls through 1/2" holes, you'll want 1/4" holes as well. The 1/4" version doesn't drain as fast as the 1/2" version but that's to be expected. My 920 came with small holes in the back only so I added 1/4" stainless steel mesh to the bottom. Works fine for where and the way I hunt.

Even if you use the scoop and dump method most of the time like I do, it's a trade off: fast drain with possible loss of small targets or slower drain with a better chance of capturing smaller targets. Since 99% of my metal detecting is on our beaches, and "depositors" are always losing small stuff, I prefer to enhance my odds of capturing those small gold and silver items by using the 1/4" holes.

But as I always say, that's just the view from my foxhole...
    Same here, I have both too. As mentioned, the big holes sift faster, but, small stuff falls through. In the surf you would want the small holes as sifting is not much of a problem, but, having to chase a small target in the shifting sand, is. In the dry, the big holes are better because of the better sifting, and if you have a pin pointer, finding the tiny targets is no big deal. Wet sand won't make much difference which you choose. Either way, you're going to dump the slug of sand and spread it out to locate the target. Personally, I prefer the 920ix. The added shifting time in the dry just isn't that significant to me. I recommend the carbon fiber handle and the add-on lift assist handle too.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

DnD
    us
    Aug 2012
    First Coast, FL
    CTX, Nox800, Excal, Explorer, CZ, AT, Sea Hunter, DP Pulse & Diver, Surf PI, BHID, and BH
    70 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    My beaches have a lot of coquina / shell and clog up the smaller holes quickly. Only way the small holes sift is in the water or in bone dry sand. Regardless, of which model you pick, just stick with a Stealth. I'm going on six years with mine....still love it!
    WaterScoop likes this.
    .... Minelab CTX and HHPI, RTG & Stealth ....
    Can slaw = 4,687...Bobby pins: 95,239...Tent Stakes = 642... Days in trouble w/Mrs. 25

Mar 2018
    Thanks for all of the advice. I actually ended up ordering the Stealth 920iX from Chuck, with an Anderson one piece carbon fiber handle from Pete through John at Xtreme Scoops. (A super nice and helpful guy by the way). It was a bit of a back and forth, but I went with the 1/2" holes over the smaller slots along the back and bottom. I guess faster sifting and I could use it in dry sand if I wander out of the water. I dunno... It was kind of a toss up. I guess if something gets through the 1/2" hole I'll chase it around, but hopefully that won't be often.

us
    Low & Slow 2C Below

Sep 2017
    SW Washington
    CTX 3030, XP DEUS, Excalibur II Garrett ATP, Whites DFX, Tesoro Golden ĶMax, & YUP->Custom Waterscoop
    3229 times
    .. so I added 1/4" stainless steel mesh to the bottom. Works fine for where and the way I hunt...
    Very interesting concept and thought to do the same many times my only question is :...how do you secure the stainless steel mesh to the Scoop?

Cheers and thanx for your anticipated fast reply
    RustyGold likes this.
    Wayne Gretzky: "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."

Charter Member
    us
    Colonel

Jan 2014
    Central Florida
    801 times
    Quote Originally Posted by WaterScoop View Post
    Very interesting concept and thought to do the same many times my only question is :...how do you secure the stainless steel mesh to the Scoop?

Cheers and thanx for your anticipated fast reply
    I use small zip ties in multiple locations. The screen is very secure and the ties don't interfere with digging, scooping or dumping. If I ever decide to change my mind on 1/4" holes, I can always cut the ties and remove the screen. Another option obviously is to weld the screen onto the scoop. However, I prefer the option to remove it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scoop Screen.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	153.9 KB 
ID:	1564497

~Pre-determined settings serve only to get you in the ballpark. Itís up to you to pick the best seat~

OBN
    us
    Dec 2008
    Mid-Atlantic Waters
    Excalibur
    5404 times
    2019.....Gold rings..100..Misc/gold 9.....Silver/Sterling 239
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I use small zip ties in multiple locations. The screen is very secure and the ties don't interfere with digging, scooping or dumping. If I ever decide to change my mind on 1/4" holes, I can always cut the ties and remove the screen. Another option obviously is to weld the screen onto the scoop. However, I prefer the option to remove it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scoop Screen.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	153.9 KB 
ID:	1564497
    Looks Good!

I tried the same but I dig in a lot of clam shells and clay mixes, which breaks those ties with in a few hunts. About all I can do is run the mesh in the back. I just have to make sure I lift the bucket to the back and level coming out of the water.
    RustyGold and WaterScoop like this.

Effort is Important, But knowing where, can make all the difference!

Charter Member
    us
    Colonel

Jan 2014
    Central Florida
    801 times
    Quote Originally Posted by OBN View Post
    Looks Good!

I tried the same but I dig in a lot of clam shells and clay mixes, which breaks those ties with in a few hunts. About all I can do is run the mesh in the back. I just have to make sure I lift the bucket to the back and level coming out of the water.
    True. Success depends on your ability to adapt to the environment...and you obviously have!
    OBN and Mudflap like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Gare or Gary

Dec 2012
    Canton Ohio Area
    936 times
    I made my own for fresh water hunting, I took a regular shovel. then cut back and side plates . Drilled 1/2 inch holes (Should have drilled 3/8) in the shovel and plates. heated up the shovel neck and bent to the angle i wanted. Then welded the backing and sides on it. The reason i used regular steel is because it in magnetic. I then put a small magnet in the back of the scoop. It makes the whole scoop magnet and things such as bobby pins , fish hooks and all other small types ferrous metals from falling through the scoop holes. When in water those things can be a pain. I also line the scoop with a fine mesh to catch things.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3166.JPG 
Views:	99 
Size:	3.61 MB 
ID:	1571031 The scoop in the middle is the one I made and it really WORKS GREAT !~!! I do not feel in non salt water you need Stainless Steel
    RustyGold likes this.
    Only TWO things in the world that spook my horses THINGS THAT MOVE and THINGS THAT DON'T MOVE !!!

Charter Member
    us
    Dig everything!

Sep 2018
    Between Half Reale Beach and Nuestra Seflora de Las Nieves
    Garrett, Equinox 800
    111 times
    I own both a 920...so I added 1/4" stainless steel mesh to the bottom. Works fine for where and the way I hunt.
    Hi Colonel Dan, from a post from last year, where did you source the 1/4" mesh (assuming it is SS).

Thanks!
    ctdirtdigger likes this.
    ďFortune favors the prepared mind.Ē ― Louis Pasteur

Charter Member
    us
    Colonel

Jan 2014
    Central Florida
    801 times
    [QUOTE=FloridaSon;6274303]Hi Colonel Dan, from a post from last year, where did you source the 1/4" mesh (assuming it is SS.)

yes, it is SS. The name is Clint Russell. He sells perforated steel on eBay.
    Last edited by ColonelDan; Aug 19, 2019 at 01:31 PM.
    Toothpick and FloridaSon like this.

Sponsored Links