Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Since there are no water proof headphones available for the Equinox yet I was wondering if anyone can tell me if I can use the phone that come with it in Saltwater if I don't get them wet on a calm day? I am getting mine this Friday and plan on using it this weekend. If you know the answer could you let me know? Thanks and best regards to everyone.

Upvote 0

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Yes, I know the answer - don't do it.
I have dropped, snagged, tripped, and have done about every unimaginable thing (e.g., get stuck on a sand bar and "walk" on the bottom with water 2 feet over your head to get back to shore, Duh) to drop a detector or/and drop my headphones or have it ripped from my hands or head and into the water...if it ain't water proof keep it out of the water, and salt water is the worst. Also think about target recovery and juggling your detector, scoop and getting the target out of your scoop and into a safety pouch or pocket. Remember, salt water is NOT forgiving and it only takes one mistake to make an electronic a doorstop.

OP
OP
slider66

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Yes, I know the answer - don't do it.
I have dropped, snagged, tripped, and have done about every unimaginable thing (e.g., get stuck on a sand bar and "walk" on the bottom with water 2 feet over your head to get back to shore, Duh) to drop a detector or/and drop my headphones or have it ripped from my hands or head and into the water...if it ain't water proof keep it out of the water, and salt water is the worst. Also think about target recovery and juggling your detector, scoop and getting the target out of your scoop and into a safety pouch or pocket. Remember, salt water is NOT forgiving and it only takes one mistake to make an electronic a doorstop.

Nox is water proof. I’m talking about maybe wading up to my waste with the headphones plugged into the unit instead of Bluetooth.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nox is water proof. I’m talking about maybe wading up to my waste with the headphones plugged into the unit instead of Bluetooth.

Just use the speaker, you'll hear it!

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since there are no water proof headphones available for the Equinox yet I was wondering if anyone can tell me if I can use the phone that come with it in Saltwater if I don't get them wet on a calm day? I am getting mine this Friday and plan on using it this weekend. If you know the answer could you let me know? Thanks and best regards to everyone.
sent you a PM

OP
OP
slider66

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
OP
OP
slider66

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's submerged, how would the wireless headphones work? My understanding is that they won't. Anything more than knee/thigh deep, I wouldn't risk it at all. even at the shallower depths, I'd put a tether on them so they don't accidentally get dunked.

OP
OP
slider66

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
If it's submerged, how would the wireless headphones work? My understanding is that they won't. Anything more than knee/thigh deep, I wouldn't risk it at all. even at the shallower depths, I'd put a tether on them so they don't accidentally get dunked.

I guess I did not make myself clear. I want to just take the headphones that come with the wireless module and jack the headphones into the back of the Equinox audio port. I do not want to use wireless. I want to know if the headphone jack on the unit will leak or if I can use them for now until the water proof headphones come out.

on another subject. I called a third party headphone manufacturer asking if they had plans to make waterproof headphones for the Equinox. I was told they have plans but that Minelab has a proprietary audio jack and they are not releasing and the audio connector hasn't been released to third parties as of yet. That is why we don't see any other headphones available. Sort of makes me mad. They launched this detector in a crazy manor. The phones and other items should be available at launch not months after. How can we expect to get good feedback on the Nox if we can't put it to some real world submerged test in saltwater?

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What in the world? No underwater headphones for a detector that was made to go underwater? That's like making a sports car without an accelerator peddle and expecting the buyer to come up with his own.

howie#1

Aug 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The answer is yes, use silicone on 3.5mm connector if water gets in icon will show up upper left of screen a triangle with exclamation mark, unit will still perform wash and dry when you get home.(use your judgement) Here's a couple of pic's really depends how handy you are ,made by man can be worked on by man. I'am still not to crazy about this unit more actual huntin needed, I like it thou. Howie's pic's 1927.JPG Howie's pic's 1930.JPG Howie's pic's 1935.JPG Howie's pic's 1959.JPG Howie's pic's 1960.JPG Howie's pic's 1965.JPG Howie's pic's 1961.JPG

OP
OP
slider66

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
The answer is yes, use silicone on 3.5mm connector if water gets in icon will show up upper left of screen a triangle with exclamation mark, unit will still perform wash and dry when you get home.(use your judgement) Here's a couple of pic's really depends how handy you are ,made by man can be worked on by man. I'am still not to crazy about this unit more actual huntin needed, I like it thou. View attachment 1565401 View attachment 1565402 View attachment 1565403 View attachment 1565404 View attachment 1565405 View attachment 1565406 View attachment 1565407

So you made your own connection for gray ghost? I have the ctx and gray ghost. Where did you get the connector? Thanks for posting the photos! I'm dying to get in the water. I am going tomorrow for my first outing.

howie#1

Aug 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes, Gray ghost were quiet, so went with speakers and 2.99 head phone from Harbor F Howie's pic's 1931.JPG reight, ctx connector,machined and 3.5 mm audio jack wallmart, connector Digi Key 1754-1023-nd, Good luck it wasn't easy. Howie's pic's 1931.JPG

Jim in MA

Apr 21, 2011
Detector(s) used
Excal with Wot, Infinium LS , CZ7a PRO
A while back I read about the XP [FONT=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]DEUS having a wire that just warped around by the coil and went up the shaft out of the water by your elbow and the signal was wireless from there to the pod, just used as an antenna to get out of the water.[/FONT]

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A while back I read about the XP DEUS having a wire that just warped around by the coil and went up the shaft out of the water by your elbow and the signal was wireless from there to the pod, just used as an antenna to get out of the water.

no, thats not correct. The antenna has a pickup head which has to be firmly held in a specific spot (over the transmitter). You cant just put a wire down there and have it transmit a signal.

howie#1

Aug 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Note: my detector seems to put up the beach overload indicator a lot while in the water submerged in South Fla., page 25 manual. The detector senses black sand and reduces the transmit power. I was incorrect saying icon came on when senses water in audio jack. When that Icon comes it reduces transmit power. (thought I had water entry into head phone jack but every time I removed my homemade connector it was dry )

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im not having that problem Howie? Nice connector. Unless you are using a water tight connector i wouldnt. Salt water will get into the jack....... it a sealed area and wont affect the box..... but salt is very corrosive over time even after it drys its still working. Also that salt water will affect the audio...... kind of creates electrolysis. Over time the corrosion will cause snap crackle pot and breaking up of audio.

howie#1

Aug 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yep, it's water proof. The Beach overload comes on certain times in the water when the bottom really looks good, can't tell any difference of performance, but I do scroll thru modes and back to beach and noise cancel when icon comes on. Need more time in water.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread