Beach & Surf Detector

NC_Horn

Mar 17, 2005
Burlington, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, White's Silver Eagle
Beach & Surf Detector

Looking to purchase a new detector for beach and surf hunting. Currently have a White's Silver Eagle. My son, 12, also has a Tesoro Compadre. Both work fine in the dry sand but wanting to venture into the wet sand and surf. I have been looking at a Beach Hunter ID but want to get feedback on this detector as well as the Surf PI Pro / Surfmaster PI and the Tesoro Sand Shark. Especially looking for feedback from someone who has hunted with the Beach Hunter ID.

Upvote 0

stede bonnet

Tenderfoot
Jan 9, 2005
Re: Beach & Surf Detector

I have only had my beach hunter a short while but i am very happy with it. last trip to the beach I didnt get any false signals from salt or minerals in the sand and found a penny down 10 inches with a very strong signal.

D

Darod

THe beach hunter is an excellent machine. Not sure what your budget is but I can tell you that there are other excellent machines (other than the one's you've mentioned) out there for the type of hunting your considering.

Minelab makes the Excalibur 800 and 1000, Garrett makes the Infinium, and there are others as well.

Personallly I would get into the Beach hunter ID or the Excalibur if you can afford it. The PI machines are a different ball game from what I understand.

Break in here everyone if I'm incorrect in this,....I beleive the PI machines don't have discrimination on them so your going to get a ton of signals, iron and all.

Like I said everyone, correct me if I'm wrong on that last statement.

The Beach Hunter ID is a dual freq. machine and the Excalibur is really a 3 freq. machine (They say it's 17 freq. BUT, it only processes 3 freq.).

The Beach Hunter ID is good down to about 20 feet or so I think,....and the Excalibur's are good to 200 feet or maybe 250' ,....can't remember.

The Excalibur cost about $400 more for a new one, than the Beach Hunter ID.
I've used both and can tell you that they are both very good machines! I prefer the Excalibur with the built in pinpointing feature.

My advice,......go to your local dealer and try them out, test drive them so to speak :)

Good luck.

Rod

metalman

Dec 16, 2004
franklin square new york

i use both the beach hunter id and excalibur up here in ny they are both great machines however the beach hunter gives false signals in breaking waves and also does not have a weighted coil. great in wet sand and in water. excalibur much better no false signals and weighted search coil. a little more money but in my opinion its money well spent.

B

BEACH DIGGER

I have used my Beach Hunter ID since Christmas (what a great gift!), I love it. True - it does give false signals in a wave but you can learn after a few times out what's false & what's not. I found lots of coins & a gold bracelet and could stay at the surf's edge where I like to be with no fear of getting it wet!

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
stuart..the treasure coast..well, used to be
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur with a WOT!
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

I agree with Rod...Excalibur (which I have) does eliminate most ferrous signals. Being waterproof means I can wash the unit after every trip to the beach. Bought mine used, cost about the same as new other units, unlikely to depreciate much more. It probably boils down to personal preference...which do you like?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread