Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
While working the water at my favorite beach this morning with the NOX 800 I came across a target and known to me by the tones it was a mobile phone so I painstakingly recovered it from 3 feet of water and 3 inches of sand and an Iphone finally ends up in my scoop. I notice that there is very little water in the lifeproof case so I stick in my pocket and continue on my hunt. Finally end up with a tiny silver ring and a small silver earring. I get home after 7 hours at the beach and take the phone out of it case and plug it in. WHAT!!! it is charging and working after about 10 minutes of charging it starts up then I look at the emergency contacts and there is all the information I needed. 1 hour later I am talking to the owner and arraigning a safe return to him in WA. Here is the amazing part as he lost the phone MARCH 2nd and I found it a month later. Iphone 7 plus in a lifeproof case amazing.

Upvote 0

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice save, I know them Iphones are not cheap and many people have unrecoverable photos and such on them, HONORABLE MENTION for an excellent return.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
May your next swing find gold!

KenG

Mar 16, 2018
East TN
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cutlass II, Land Ranger Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Unbelievable that it still worked! Hats off to you for taking the time to return it.

OP
OP
T

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The owner really helped me by making sure the Emergency contact information was there as most people never set that up. He had his spouse, mom and a friend listed with phone numbers.

GroundBalanced

Aug 4, 2017
WestCoast-FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Job Toddbbq. I was just at the beach on Saturday. No cellphones in the water though, but I would be interested to know what TID# & characteristics you know cellphones under the coil by. Can you share?

OP
OP
T

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last year I found one in the water and thought it was a silver target as the TID on the ctx showed. But when I was recovering it I put the scoop thru the screen and dented the back needless to say it was destroyed. When I got that same kind of signal on the EQ800 today I had a memory flashback from last year and just took my time. The TID is a bouncy 39 to 40 and when you sweep the coil across it you can tell it is a large target unlike a ring which is a smaller target.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Great! Nice you felt it was a phone and took care. A friend got an iPhone 7 Plus a year and half ago. He knew I wanted a new phone and we talked about the I phone 7 plus. He called me one day, he was going sailing with a friend and was getting picked up at a local marina and waited on the dock. While he was there a diver was going in. He asked what he was going in for. He said someone lost a cell phone. 5 minutes later he came out with a iPhone 7 Plus and it was on and working no case. He called me and I got one the next day. I hope you find a gold ring soon!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the find ! Congratulations on the return ! :) But please tell us all how the return went and what did the owner say when you called him and did they say how they lost it ? Come on tell us the story

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got one a couple of days back..... but mine was in seriously bad shape. Just a reminder take those cases off and check um. I remembered what Cliff told me about finding money...... sure enough, $100 in between the phone and case.

OP
OP
T

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got one with a 20 bill inside the phone under the back cover as I was looking to see if there was a memory card in it as it was water logged.

OP
OP
T

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is the story on how the phone was lost. Wally who is from WA. takes his family on a FL. vacation starting with a cruise then a trip to Orlando and then a day trip to the beach. Well Wally decides to go for a swim and forgot that he had his phone in his pocket and ooops he comes out of the water and cannot find his phone. A month later and I am doing some water hunting and bingo out of the water and into my scoop is his phone. I take it home and charge it and to my amazement it works. Called the number in his emergency contacts and they put him in contact with me. He is in total disbelief that I found it. Made arraignments to send it back to him and all is good. He has some very special memories on the phone that he can finally have. You gotta love KARMA!!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good-deed[1] (1).jpg

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story thanks for taking time to post it :)
I bet he did not believe you t first when you called him. Did he give you a reward ?

OP
OP
T

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just asked for a couple of bucks to ship it too him which he agreed to as I have access to UPS at work but have to pay for it.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I myself would have gave you 100 dollars as a reward

OP
OP
T

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I personally have never asked for any reward on my dozen or so returns but if offered I would gladly accept as I know they are thankful to get their items back.

GroundBalanced

Aug 4, 2017
WestCoast-FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, i had an iPhone 6 plus a couple of years ago, not in a waterproof case, accidentally walked into the beach water with it in my pocket. After about 3 minutes, i remembered, and i knew i was in trouble. There was nothing that could be done, that thing swelled up like the incredible hulk, busted open from the inside after a day. Now i have an iPhone X (waterproof), and i keep it in a waterproof pouch, when i'm detecting in the water, and I have no worries. But i still have bad memories.

Good job Todd, tks for the TID# and info. But now I am wondering if we pop the coil over a cellphone that is still ACTIVE/Turned ON in the water, what kindof crazy noise will we hear on the headphones?! :) Anybody want to test that out for us at a local beach? Anyone? No takers? haha... well, i guess i can do that test on land.

OP
OP
T

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have learned a good method for recovering them in the water. I started by digging behind the phone and let the sand slowly fill in and scoop out some more then I started to fan the sand with my foot. When I finally saw the edge of it I scooped under it and there it was in my scoop. Kind of a slow process but it worked.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread