the death of beach hunting as we know it -- new bill july 1st 2018

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
well folks the politicians of Florida stuck a knife in our back ...as well as the general public at large ... as of July 1st of 2018 because of a new law they signed ... the days of "free range" walking on the beaches are soon to be a thing of the past ..no more sunset walks ..beach combing ..metal detecting ..looking for sharks teeth ..and so on ...because all of the dry beach in front of homes or hotels will now be "part of the beach front land owner's" property ...only the wet sand will now be open to the public at large (now how the pubic at large is supposed to get to that wet sand without crossing the dry sand is something no one has addressed as far as I know) -- I say it now time to "push back" ...if the beach is now "private land" then no more "public funds" are to spent on its upkeep / renourishment from storm damage -- now that its "their land" -- they alone can foot the bill for "their private beach"

Upvote 0

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We have some similar crap rules up here in nova Scotia Canada. If I'm hunting looking for modern coins, then I'm good, but if I'm looking for the old stuff, then i need a permit. If I accidentally find an old item it must be surrendered.

In Florida anything you find worth more than $100 must be turned in, or it's GRAND THEFT BY FIND. What do they do with it? Auction it.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yes we do the public good -- once at a tot lot area in Fernadina Beach I was detecting by a slide area (a great place to find coins and now and the a bit of jewelry that the little urchins reaching up for mommy at the foot of the slide pull at their gold chains popping them) once a young mom came up in a huffy tone --WHY ARE YOU DOING THAT HERE ? -- I had just hit a signal at the foot of the slide as she arrived --so I got it --and showed her the nice big chunk of razor knife blade that it was ...and replied ---just protecting your children and others from creeps madam....gee did her mood towards me change like flipping a light switch

Happened to me too... I was detecting a volleyball court. Woman with two little kids running around in the sand says "WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING FOR? ARE YOU ALLOWED TO BE DOING THAT??" I said yes, just looking for quarters and trash. Just as I got a hit, and pulled out an 10" steak knife. I said "Hey you're glad I found this I bet!" LOL. The look on her face was priceless.

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
funny how finding a seriously dangerous object in front of nosey busy body types .... in a play ground - sandy volleyball court or public place ....oh like a razor knife insert type blade or a steak knife or big nails or sharp shredded can slaw can change some peoples point of view of weither detectorist are good folks or not

DIGDIG

Nov 23, 2009
Space Coast/Florida
Detector(s) used
WHITES SURF P.I.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Question.....So under this new law, if your renting a oceanfront home (and its property goes to the ocean) can you hunt that property ?
Good question, so once a month I rent a hotel room and that unsearched dry sand is all mine?

DIGDIG

Nov 23, 2009
Space Coast/Florida
Detector(s) used
WHITES SURF P.I.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems like just a way for the state to charge for replenishing "now private" beach.
They are predicting a severe hurricane season for 2018 and the rich will get their way. With the sharp and rusty objects I carry out I feel like I should be thanked, lol. It's the one hobby that helps with stress, exercise and as long as people are filling their holes hurts no one.

Im gonna need a copy of this since I can see a issue while on the wet sand and some rich homeowner confronts me.

UPDATE: Boy was I mistaken, seems this was written for the rich such as the Huckabee's & Karl Rove and the Govenor and all the other rich politicians. To think that the tax payer won't be paying to replenish "their" beach is just stupid.
I like the wet sand and hunt at low tide and plan on educating myself on this ruling so when I refuse to go and they charge me with trespass I can fight it to bring attention to it.
So if I read this correctly the wet sand is fair game EVEN in front of hotels?

Last edited:

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...the days of "free range" walking on the beaches are soon to be a thing of the past ..no more sunset walks ..beach combing ..metal detecting ..looking for sharks teeth ..and so on ...because all of the dry beach in front of homes or hotels will now be "part of the beach front land owner's" property ...only the wet sand will now be open to the public at large!

OK, so essentially what they are now saying is once the ocean or the Gulf has eroded the dry sand on the beaches in front of these private residences, the home owners are now responsible for covering the cost of dredging the sand and depositing it back onto the beach right?

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the people that own that beach front property don't care about your desire to metal detect, watch sunrises/sunsets, beachcomb or anything related to the riff raff intruding on their sand. I've had them come out of their multi million dollar homes on canals and tell me I can't fish in the water around their docks, they've even called the FWC, the sheriff, and every other law enforcement agency to keep me from doing that. It's called "privledge"

they got the money to buy what they need (politicians), and will use it to get what they want..

remember, you aren't in the .01% so why vote like you are?

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good question, so once a month I rent a hotel room and that unsearched dry sand is all mine?

I don't see why not.Be it a oceanfront home or oceanfront hotel(w/land going to the ocean), someone is paying the taxes on the 'property'

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep in mind was was wet at high tide is dry at low tide.

Write the Governor advising him since the dry sand in front of homes and hotels are now considered private property our tax dollars had better not be used to re-sand a single one of them after a storm, if it is used we the people will file a class action law suit against the state.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
public money should not be used to refurbish "private beaches" that the public has no access to use --- to refurbish / renourish these now "private beaches" after a hurricane or strong nor eastern hits them with public funds is a gross misuse of public funds for private use --to tax the general public at large to pay for something they cannot use and then give that tax money to the select few for their benefit only is thief by illegal taxation

the heavy taxation by England of the American colonist for things they could not use nor gain any benefit from , nor get any say in how those taxes got spent is exactly why the colonist revolted in the first place ....our forefathers would be horrified by this govt move

Last edited:

sandswimmer

Apr 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Xcal Xterra's DF
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These beachfront property owners are gaining a lot of additional land now,... So , shouldn't their property taxes go up?
SS

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If my yard gets washed out I have to pay to have it fixed...no way they can get THEIR beach replaced with taxpayer money.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems like just a way for the state to charge for replenishing "now private" beach.
They are predicting a severe hurricane season for 2018 and the rich will get their way. With the sharp and rusty objects I carry out I feel like I should be thanked, lol. It's the one hobby that helps with stress, exercise and as long as people are filling their holes hurts no one.

Im gonna need a copy of this since I can see a issue while on the wet sand and some rich homeowner confronts me.
Just ask him to show you his property line...if he shows you the high tide mark that day, tell him to try again because that changes every day...ask him if his property line is irregular like the tide line or if its straight.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not exactly, private property starts are the mean high tide line which is well beyond the wet sand.

Yes and No. At least in our state of Kalifornication. According to what I've read, it's private property from the mean high tide line and above, based on the previous 10 year average of tides. So, in other words, it will change slightly every year. That line would have to be determined by a surveyor with that sort of knowledge, and it would be void in short order and a new survey would have to be taken to remain current. Also, very interestingly, if any "improvements" have been made (say a retaining wall, ripwrap, or other erosion control measures), that mean high tide line is null and void, as the "natural" location of that line has been thwarted. A computation as to where the line SHOULD be had the "improvements not been made, is now required. Probably megabucks to determine that......or some serious bribes anyway! I'm not sure this applies nationwide or just us, but, something to ponder in Fl. Are all those dunes along the treasure coast "natural"? :dontknow:

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Expect public money to be used to repair private beaches as a matter of " Public Safety " can't have the roads wash out.
And the beaches are still public, you just can't get to them.

DIGDIG

Nov 23, 2009
Space Coast/Florida
Detector(s) used
WHITES SURF P.I.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These beachfront property owners are gaining a lot of additional land now,... So , shouldn't their property taxes go up?
SS
When they bought their million dollar home is there not a property line? No deed, survey? Good argument when were charged with trespass, bring a copy of the tax map and when they bring up HB631, ask why they don't pay tax on this lot.

DIGDIG

Nov 23, 2009
Space Coast/Florida
Detector(s) used
WHITES SURF P.I.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.png Sent email to Govenor Rick Scott. I hunt the wet sand and the public areas are where there are more people hence more finds, it's just the point of it that the rich keep taking care of the rich.

Last edited:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
anyone that wants to use my photos of trash to send to governor or representative - feel free
I think any Fla. hunters should bombard them with trash and dangerous items pics - knives etc
and with return pics and stories or if you ever helped police etc

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not going to make any friends with this response. I've read the entire thread and I have to giggle. The new law doesn't change anything for the average beach detector. It does protect home owners from teens and twenty-somethings trashing their back yards and urinating all over them after a few beers. Access to the beach - if you have half-a-brain, is NOT affected.

The DEATH of Beach Detecting as we know it, is the Minelab Equinox 600. None of you guys with your CTX 3030's; Excalibur's; CZ's; are safe anymore. Now ANY jamoke with $650.00 will be out there getting the good stuff in front of you. Old men whining about nothing, and overlooking the real monster under the bed. Typical. :skullflag:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread