Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Anyone else tried their Equinox in the water yet?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jan 2007
    Gold Canyon AZ
    ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
    429 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    At a FL Gulf beach yesterday, on buried 14k gold rings, earrings and thin bracelets, my CZ6 in Salt mode with the 10.5 coil hit the big stuff noticeably deeper than the Nox600 in either beach mode. Thin and small stuff, the Nox was better.

Nox signals were more “iffy” - the CZ hits like a drum.

Nox pinpoint went crazy in the water.

I much preferred the chest mounted CZ6 (unmodified) in the water.

on the dry sand, for small gold, the Nox is no doubt much better - but at the cost of finding nearly microscopic bits of foil.

They both lied about rusty beer caps. The Nox “hotshoe trick” helped on the unrusty ones.
    Last edited by Rick K; Apr 25, 2018 at 02:45 PM.
    DeepseekerADS likes this.

Apr 2015
    CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
    1215 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick K View Post
    At a FL Gulf beach yesterday, on buried 14k gold rings, earrings and thin bracelets, my CZ6 in Salt mode with the 10.5 coil hit the big stuff noticeably deeper than the Nox600 in either beach mode. Thin and small stuff, the Nox was better.

Nox signals were more “iffy” - the CZ hits like a drum.

Nox pinpoint went crazy in the water.

I much preferred the chest mounted CZ6 (unmodified) in the water.

on the dry sand, for small gold, the Nox is no doubt much better - but at the cost of finding nearly microscopic bits of foil.

They both lied about rusty beer caps. The Nox “hotshoe trick” helped on the unrusty ones.
    Thanks this seems to be the case with my CZ-21 also, but I haven't taken both into the water for a solid comparison yet.
    Minelab Equinox 800,Fisher CZ-21, Excalibur II

... waiting to see that elusive dowser on the beach with a bucket of gold rings ...

us
    D. Meeker

Mar 2006
    Gulf Coast, Fl
    Blue Xcals and CTX
    837 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Over 200 hours...... and it dont leak lol. You cant beat the coil movement...... coil control is much easier even in swift water. Ive never let go of my detector...... but it is tethered by the phone cable.... pretty light in the water. So light im not seeing nearly the wear on the skid plate as the CTX or Xcal. Ive about got mine tweaked ...... but still like to change and test ...... its just a fun machine to play with.
    Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.... John Wooden.

us
    Mar 2010
    Florida
    ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
    4679 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by dewcon4414 View Post
    Over 200 hours...... and it dont leak lol. You cant beat the coil movement...... coil control is much easier even in swift water. Ive never let go of my detector...... but it is tethered by the phone cable.... pretty light in the water. So light im not seeing nearly the wear on the skid plate as the CTX or Xcal. Ive about got mine tweaked ...... but still like to change and test ...... its just a fun machine to play with.
    Are small foil, aluminum and flakes of iron giving you a problem?

Mar 2018
    15 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lookindown View Post
    Are small foil, aluminum and flakes of iron giving you a problem?
    I've had no problem with iron, default settings beach 2. I've found no more foil than I did with my excal either.
    lookindown likes this.

ca
    Dec 2015
    Whites xlt,ctx3030,equinox 850
    216 times
    The whole detector sinks if you let it go?
    this works for me...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3454.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	2.19 MB 
ID:	1584847

as for pinpointing under water....? I never use it. I let the detector and scoop work in concert. pinpointing something when I can.t see the coil most of the time just waists time. I prefer the surf to fresh water but do most of my water hunting in fresh water.
    Last edited by fuceye; Apr 30, 2018 at 03:37 PM.
    Hawks88 and birdman like this.

us
    D. Meeker

Mar 2006
    Gulf Coast, Fl
    Blue Xcals and CTX
    837 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Lookindown..... this machine was designed to hit on smaller low conductors. In the water it can get chatty especially in the low areas such as hard pad ... it tends to hear more of the minerals/flakes of aluminum concentrations. Anything designed to find smaller gold than the Xcal or CTX is going to obviously pick up more tiny trash as well. In the dry sand ..... yes you can dig a lot of gum wrappers lol. Really can get some unbelievable tiny high conductors like copper. But like any machine you learn whats its saying and there are ways to calm the noise. This machine dont need the threshold..... disc to -2 quiets it a bit..... as does moving the recovery speed UP. The lower recovery the longer the tones.... and if you are in 50 tones it can sing.
    Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.... John Wooden.

us
    Mar 2010
    Florida
    ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
    4679 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Waiting on a three pound CZ21....come on Fisher.
    flgliderpilot likes this.

Apr 2015
    1215 times
    Metal Detecting
    Waiting on a three pound CZ21....come on Fisher.
    Will never happen unfortunately.

... waiting to see that elusive dowser on the beach with a bucket of gold rings ...

Charter Member
    us
    Todd In Lutz FL

Apr 2014
    Lutz FL
    Equinox 800,CTX with Coiltek 14x9 coil, T-Rex scoop and ATPro
    824 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    I noticed this weekend on my EQ800 in the water that it overloads a lot. My settings are beach2 recovery 4 sensitivity 18 and ground balance on tracking after first manually ground balancing. The overloads don't appear to reset so I switch thru modes to get it to clear. Anyone else notice this or is it just me?
    Last edited by toddbbq; May 07, 2018 at 10:02 AM.

us
    Jan 2007
    Gold Canyon AZ
    ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
    429 times
    3# CZ - never. 3# more advanced multifrequency detector from Fisher/Teknetics - a certainty.

When? Sadly, that’s not certain.
    lookindown likes this.

Apr 2015
    1215 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by toddbbq View Post
    I noticed this weekend on my EQ800 in the water that it overloads a lot. My settings are beach2 recovery 4 sensitivity 18 and ground balance on tracking after first manually ground balancing. The overloads don't appear to reset so I switch thru modes to get it to clear. Anyone else notice this or is it just me?
    That is not encouraging. I haven't noticed this yet, but I haven't hunted black sand yet, and honestly I wasn't looking for it. I'll keep an eye on my screen next hunt.

I would be interested in a depth check once the overload icon appears. Does depth significantly decrease?

You sure that icon doesn't actually mean DANGER STING RAY? lol
    Last edited by flgliderpilot; May 07, 2018 at 03:03 PM.

Charter Member
    us
    Todd In Lutz FL

Apr 2014
    Lutz FL
    Equinox 800,CTX with Coiltek 14x9 coil, T-Rex scoop and ATPro
    824 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    I think I figured out my overload problem. I think it happens when I line up my t-rex scoop behind the coil while on a target. It would be great if Minelab would update the equinox to somehow let you know that it is overloading like the CTX. So after every target I am going to look at the screen to see if the overload icon is there and if it is I think I can just hit the user profile button then go back to beach2 and clear the overload. Will try this out this weekend and report back.

Apr 2015
    1215 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by toddbbq View Post
    I think I figured out my overload problem. I think it happens when I line up my t-rex scoop behind the coil while on a target. It would be great if Minelab would update the equinox to somehow let you know that it is overloading like the CTX. So after every target I am going to look at the screen to see if the overload icon is there and if it is I think I can just hit the user profile button then go back to beach2 and clear the overload. Will try this out this weekend and report back.
    Hey this is a great discovery. I had an issue once where I was hunting and suddenly all signals just kinda went faint. I couldn't hear as much as I could before. Now I'm wondering if I had gotten too close to my scoop and the machine went into overload and stayed there. I'm doubting it though, I think it was my waterproof headphones acting up after getting wet.

Apr 2015
    1215 times
    Metal Detecting
    Revisiting this thread after another 10 hours of water hunting.

The Equinox just kills in the wet sand, but in the water it acts a little wonky.

Sensitivity needs to be turned down as low as 18 or even 16 to get it to stop falsing. It will still false a little You must notch out 1-3 or it'll false every time you rotate your wrist... that eliminates chains. You definitely must hunt in 5 tone or less. 50 tones will act crazy.

Targets, unless very shallow always sound iffy. Broken, a hint of iron, etc. Determining size is difficult. You can pinpoint, but it also acts weird in the water and takes some retries. There is no audio indicator of overload, so you don't know if your coil is sitting on the target (the CZ-21 will scream at you to let you know you are contacting it).

I have a real problem with solid hits just completely disappearing. I realize this is often aluminum drifting in waves, coins on edge, etc, but I have never had soooo many disappearing targets until now. Are they all bits of foil? I dunno, but it's maddening.

Yes, it is far more sensitive for small gold, but here's the thing: Really small gold isn't worth much. Is it worth spending 10 minutes per hole chasing every tiny bit of foil in the WATER with the possibility that it's an earring?

So, I've decided to keep the Equinox on the beach, and go back to the CZ-21 in the water.
    Last edited by flgliderpilot; Jun 05, 2018 at 12:15 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links