How far can a person go out in the water at the Treasure Coast areas?

seas1to2

May 17, 2006
fl
depends on were you go out, some places you can't hunt in the water at all , just the dry sand other places as deep as you want to go .I don't have the info you need sure someone here has it.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You cannot go in the water at all on the Treasure Beaches anywhere near a shipwreck site with a metal detector. You can swim out to the cannons if you leave your MD in the car.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Yup, under lease and they DO take it seriously

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
going in the water with a metal detector off the known treasure beaches with leased wrecksites? --nope not at all -- the lease holders are rightfully protective of their "paid for" lease sites --- now if you have no detector and plan NOT to take ANYTHING AT ALL from the wrecks you can go look at them -- but do not go in the waters with "treasure yeilding in mind"-- the beaches waterline to dune foot ---is a differant matter -- ;) Ivan

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used
coinstrike, tigershark, ace250, OLD radioshack
ok guys, so you cant even wade in with a metal detector to say 3-4 depth on the beach if its near a wreck? arent these wrecks further out like 15 feet of water or more?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
with a metal detector in hand - do not enter the water at all --the water is leased -- you can swim and "look" but do not take any treasure in the water or off the wreck sites --it "legally belongs" to the folks who paid the state of florida for the right to harvest the sites and they are very protective of the rights they "paid" for --just like you would be --- ---on the beach its waterline to dune foot detect away -- it real simple -- no metal detecting in "leased" waters -- period-- Ivan

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used
coinstrike, tigershark, ace250, OLD radioshack
ivan salis said:
with a metal detector in hand - do not enter the water at all --the water is leased -- you can swim and "look" but do not take any treasure in the water or off the wreck sites --it "legally belongs" to the folks who paid the state of florida for the right to harvest the sites and they are very protective of the rights they "paid" for --just like you would be --- ---on the beach its waterline to dune foot detect away -- it real simple -- no metal detecting in "leased" waters -- period-- Ivan

ok, i'm still not getting a very straight answer here...
let say wreck is 75 feet from shore. there has to be a boundary, a circle, some measurement to encompass the claim area. just saying "dont search near a wreck" isnt a good answer. whats considered "near a wreck" could be 100 feet or half a mile depending on who you ask.

somewhere there has to be an actual number as to how far a perimeter a wreck claim encompasses.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
normally a leasee has a rather large "LEGAL" 3,000 yd radius around their wreck sites --which means all the way to the nearby shorelines ( the wreck sites tend to over lap basically closing off "water access" around the treasure beach areas from "free lancers") -- SO the simple "easy" answer is NO --you can not hunt in the water by the known "registered" and leased wrecks -- the salvors that have the wreck sites leased WILL have you arrested if you attempt to do so --- sadly I know thats not what you want to hear -- but its "just the facts" as joe friday said in dragnet-- now you can see why my answer is no itsnot allowed ( I'm just trying to keep you from getting in trouble with the law -- many folks who don't know find out the "hard way" sadly)-- now the waterline to dune foot on the beaches are a differant matter --have at em -- and good luck -- the somewhere you talk about is the state arch dept that issues the lease's --in the lease it spells out the distances "leased" -- once one "plots"all the the various leases -- "the facts" become quite clear -- Ivan

MoTwister

Apr 27, 2007
Joplin, MO
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Turbo, Fisher 1280-X, Aquapulse.
Primary Interest:
Boats can and do work right up near the shore line on their leases. This summer the boat that I was on and a sub contractor to the Fishers on the Nieves site at Douglas beach we were within 80 feet of the shore and finding coins in 8-10 feet of water after removing the overburden aka sand. And I have seen other contractors with deflectors even closer than that so the leases run about up to the shoreline.

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
re-tek
essentially ALL of the water up and down the treasure coast is under lease. The leases extend in a radius, and cover right up to the shoreline. The practical result is that you can't go in the water at all with a MD. severe penalties result.

steve

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
:) Here is a plan, I haven't tried yet. At low tide, take a shovel and dig a hole about 4 feet square and 4 feet deep, hunt the sand mound and inside the hole you dug. Continue to dig in one direction, filling in the hole behind you and repeat using the metal detector. It's a lot of hard work but you'll be hunting an area that no one has hunted in years. Chances of finding something from the 1715 era are better then they are now. I've hunted those beaches for hours and find only modern coins and junk. My Excaliber will detect a dime at 18 inches so if I dig down 48 inches then that's over 5 feet. I may try this method when the weather is a little cooler. ;D
In Nome, Alaska, they mine the beaches for the gold content year round. Why couldn't this method work along the Treasure Beaches. Stake out a claim and dig down. The advantages of digging below the high tide mark is obvious. When high tide returns, it refills the hole back in for you. Never leave an open deep hole on the beach after dark where someone may get hurt if they fall into it.
Be sure you are physically fit for such an activity too. ;)

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
At night treasure hunters were digging six foot deep holes in the dunes and not filling them back. The Vero Beach caretaker told me he finds many shovels left behind. I dont know why.
For weeks after the storms you didnt need to dig and treasure was still hard to find. To find the right spot is key. I guess its better than not trying at all. You may also spot some emeralds this way.

joya_dorado

Feb 13, 2005
San Marcos, TX
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
This may be a stupid question but in what state or states is this Treasure Coast area you guys talking about? Here in Texas there is absolutely no diving allowed on old wreck sites as I understand it. State claims ownership of anything offshore. Sad situation what with hundreds of shipwrecks off Padre Island and northward along the Gulf Coast.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
joya_dorado said:
This may be a stupid question but in what state or states is this Treasure Coast area you guys talking about? Here in Texas there is absolutely no diving allowed on old wreck sites as I understand it. State claims ownership of anything offshore. Sad situation what with hundreds of shipwrecks off Padre Island and northward along the Gulf Coast.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treasure_Coast

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
there is an area in florida called "the treasure coast" due to the large amount of treasure that has been found over the years from the 1715 fleet that wrecked in the area -- Ivan

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
the answer---if the question is "how far can a person with a metal detector go into the water on other folks "leased" known treasure sites?" -- the answer ---all the way to jail --- the known leased areas have about a 3,000 yard radius in the water basically to the waterline on the beach --- going in the water with a metal detector is a big no no --- they are off limits sites and the folks who "pay" for the lease will have you arrested -- for cutting into their action -- Ivan

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You also stand the chance of having your detector, and anything else you have with you confinscated if they so choose.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
geckokid said:
What about on the west coast near Port Charlotte?
That may be OK. Not positive though. A lot of Ancient Indian history there. There was also some early battles with the Spanish.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread