Treasure Coast find, ideas? Suggestions appreciated too.

Digger_O'Dell

May 11, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,
Relatively new on this forum, but been reading the posts for a long time.
I'm currently on a detecting vacation in Florida hoping to find at least one of those elusive 1715 coins. I've been working my way South each day to hit the wreck sites, and so far without much luck. I've been using the CTX-3030 with 17" coil in the surf, and then switch to my GPX 4800 with 11x17 Nuggetfinder mono coil for the rest of the beach. Haven't found much of note until today. Lots of really deep sinkers (20-30 inches) and a bit of clad.
But today I hit a well eroded beach that gave up a huge chunk of encrusted something. Mostly iron for sure, but the CTX chirps a couple high tones in the thickest areas although it could just be falsing. Stopped at the museum and they guessed it could be an iron spike, but the person to ask won't be in until next week. May try the Mel Fisher museum tomorrow. But if anyone has a guess, love to hear it!
Lastly, if anyone has tips or pointers for the area, would love to hear the feedback. And heck, if anyone local wants to get together for a hunt, just let me know.
Thanks! 20180511_154941.jpeg

Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off... welcome to Treasurenet.
Secondly...

Although this item intrigues me... I have no clue as to what you have found.

This simply could be anything.

I am afraid to say "clean it / knock off some crust"... if it is in fact something really good... but this may be what you need to do in order to get a better picture up here for a re-evaluation.

Will await further pics / post.

OP
OP
D

Digger_O'Dell

May 11, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, kinda figured that would be the usual answer. And as you said, I'm too worried about it being too fragile in case it might be something good. Maybe an X-ray is in order?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd be careful where I went into the surf. Most of the areas along the Treasure Coast are off limits due to salvage claims.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What those guys said - you can hit wet sand in fleet area (as well as the dry)
Get caught in wrong place in the water - even ankle deep and you could lose your machine and get fined

OP
OP
D

Digger_O'Dell

May 11, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, I know the laws here. By "surf" I mean normal wet sand bit getting pounded by waves, above low tide level.
Being from a very anti detecting state, I've made it a habit to research local laws best I can before even going out.

OP
OP
D

Digger_O'Dell

May 11, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update: Finally stopped in at the museum to have it looked at. The ranger verified it is certainly a 1715 find and has pretty sure it's a cluster of bar shot. He also highly recommended I get xrays taken to see full internal details. Said offer there are coins or other valuables that get encased in the encrustations.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread