Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Heavy duty sand scoop suggestions?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Orlando, Fl
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    27982 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by lookindown View Post
    Stealth.
    2nd the stealth, what ever brand you buy if you have rocks buy SS, aluminum will tear.
    AARC and Hawks88 like this.
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

USAF 1967-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

us
    Sep 2012
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Current-Minelab E-Trac, Sunray Pro phones, TW digger Past-Garrett Treasure Ace 300
    28 times
    Metal Detecting
    Thanks for all the info guys, the Stealth's look awesome!

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Orlando, Fl
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    27982 times
    Something to keep in mind, a good heavy duty scoop cost close to $200 +/- , remember though you can sell a 5 year old scoop you paid $200 for all day long for $150-$170 as long as you take care of it. I have done so twice.
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

USAF 1967-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

fr
    Oct 2013
    FISHER AQUAMANTA / Pulsepower Goldscan 5c - goldquest ssv3 / Vista Gold / Nexus
    78 times
    on some hunting / not in the water
    but at low tide, a very strong scoop makes the difference

mine / homemade
    stainless steel A4 / 3mm
    what weight does it make? / I do not know, I drag him

fiber handle incasable / the same for 5 years
    the right angle of departure is the most important
    I ride on it / my 95 kilos do the rest lol

and a good spoon effect
    allows to take very deep targets

go see a boilermaker who works stainless steel
    and do an over-measurement

the right scoop adapt
    to each type of hunt

often neglect / Yet as important as the detector
    maybe more...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GAMATTE.JPG 
Views:	149 
Size:	250.0 KB 
ID:	1597403
    AARC likes this.
    ----------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------------
    FISHER AQUAMANTA / Pulsepower Goldscan 5c - goldquest ssv3 / Vista Gold / Nexus

(forgive my bad english....)

us
    May 2010
    New England
    Excal WOT
    288 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Do you know anyone that can weld ss? You will need a stavr 9.5” or wider scoop. Have a spike or tip welded on it that extends well down middle of basket for strength. Weld additional 3/8 stock to strengthen existing brackets. I also had a lip cut out of .072 ss and it adds about one inch to the tip. It was ball busting work and I paid a skilled welder 100$ to do about 3 hrs of work. A shops gonna charge a lot like 150 and hr. Give me an hour and I’ll post picks.

The shaft it has the back saver on it. And it’s made of carbon fiber. And a solid oak dowel for inside of it. The dowel was coated heavy with epoxy before being assembled. It’s lasted 3 years of heavy New England digging in rocky beaches.

It to bad the extra work is needed. It’s normally not needed. Most conditions won’t stress that scoop out. Mine lasted 6 weeks in its stock form. If you have rocks to dig through you need something stronger.

good luck. When figuring out dimensions start with the inside diameter of the stager and go from there. I got the cf from eBay for 130$. I know. I put probably 500$ into the scoop.

Name:	D2844B39-187D-4CCF-BCF3-53E042491084.jpeg 
Views:	123 
Size:	3.97 MB 
ID:	1597448Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C66AE936-0CB3-4B89-9572-CC57F1836612.jpeg 
Views:	128 
Size:	3.02 MB 
ID:	1597447Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ACEBF893-2F09-4E33-BD92-B0A75FEDD837.jpeg 
Views:	123 
Size:	2.94 MB 
ID:	1597449Click image for larger version. 

Name:	230E26C9-82A4-42A3-AEF3-97139DE6804C.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	2.96 MB 
ID:	1597450

Quote Originally Posted by Bullhead23 View Post
    I'm getting into water/beach metal detecting for the first time and have come to see how hard it is to hunt without a scoop. The areas I'm hunting have a lot of hard clay, thick mud, and rocks. What in your opinion is the best bang for your buck scoop that wont easily break, especially along the weld?
    Last edited by jyt2017; Jun 02, 2018 at 10:37 AM.

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    5850 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    I've reinforced my Stealth 720 to dig in the rocks. Adds a bit of weight, but, it's sure strong now!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1427.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	1597520   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1428.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	1597521  
    RustyGold, slider66 and Hawks88 like this.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

ca
    Jun 2018
    Victoria, BC
    White's Treasure Master and a Makro Kruzer
    115 times
    While I think all of the offered scoops are wonderful... have you thought about a much cheaper yet still viable option of going to your local buck or two store and getting a big plastic water jug... they come for about 4 or 5 dollars and are a very solid construction. Then take your drill if you have one or borrow one and use a bit that is just smaller than a dime in diameter... drill holes in the base of the jug... all around and on the bottom. I've used one for a year now... and it works fine. I balk at spending $150 to 200 for a scoop... even if it has excellent resale value... that is a quarter of the way to a new machine for me. I might spend that on a pinpointer but it is really a tool that you can use through all facets of your detecting... the scoop is good for one area but not all.

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    5850 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Plastic doesn't work or hold up well in rocky areas, and not great in wet sand either. You would have to squat down to use one like you describe. My legs and back ache just thinking about doing that! A good long handled scoop can dramatically speed up the recovery time, allowing you to find many more targets in a given period of time. It's the best investment you can make at a sandy venue. As for a scoop not being good for all areas......that's true of just about all metal detecting tools and equipment. The proper tool for the job is always best.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

ca
    Jun 2018
    Victoria, BC
    White's Treasure Master and a Makro Kruzer
    115 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cudamark View Post
    Plastic doesn't work or hold up well in rocky areas, and not great in wet sand either. You would have to squat down to use one like you describe. My legs and back ache just thinking about doing that! A good long handled scoop can dramatically speed up the recovery time, allowing you to find many more targets in a given period of time. It's the best investment you can make at a sandy venue. As for a scoop not being good for all areas......that's true of just about all metal detecting tools and equipment. The proper tool for the job is always best.
    My plastic scoop has held up for soon to be two years of granted occasional use on the beach. As for stoop and scoop... I hear ya. My main point was that the metal crafted scoops are very expensive and for a beginner who has already shelled out at least say 3 to 4 hundred dollars for a detector, rudimentary pinpointer and shovel/spade... well another 150 to 200 for a scoop... that's kinda breaking the bank. Short term investment of 5 bucks and time with power tool will get you through the first couple of days/weeks/months of activity and let you decide if this is the life for you.
    Last edited by mikebourgeois; Jun 03, 2018 at 05:38 PM.

us
    May 2010
    24 times
    I have one of the nuttall scoops ordered for the creeks and rivers. We have very little sand and a lot of gravel. I wanted something with a good point angle and something strong. From what I have read, this is the best choice for me.
    AARC likes this.

us
    out for the big treasure

Jan 2014
    Texas
    Garrett ACE 400-Bounty Hunter
    59 times
    Shipwrecks
    I live near the beach (salt water) and a scoop is only good for me in loose sand.
    In hard packed sand or mud,I use a shovel.But that's just me.

us
    Jul 2017
    Northwest Arkansas
    Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
    1435 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Soloman View Post
    I am sending you a PM with a link you should check out. Good Luck!
    Terry - would you mind sending it to me as well?

us
    Chuck

Oct 2010
    Warren, Michigan
    74 times
    Just a thought: Aluminum seems like the answer BUT, many do not think about or realize that the thicker metal (1/8") makes penatrating the sand harder. So every dig is harder, dig after dig. Finding more gold happens when you are efficient and have the energy to hunt that extra hour or two...
    Chuck
    zigzag, OBN, RustyGold and 1 others like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    15460 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck-N-Detroit View Post
    Just a thought: Aluminum seems like the answer BUT, many do not think about or realize that the thicker metal (1/8") makes penatrating the sand harder. So every dig is harder, dig after dig. Finding more gold happens when you are efficient and have the energy to hunt that extra hour or two...
    Chuck
    I've done a lot of river scooping = lots of rocks large and small. I don't believe aluminum would stand up to that, where a good stainless scoop handles it well. No damage to my 920iX yet.
    Hawks88 likes this.
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

us
    Mar 2012
    Spring TX
    CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
    941 times
    We carry the Xtreme Scoops as well as RTG. I think the Xtreme is the best value right now.

Name:	xtreme.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	1599308
    https://metaldetectingstuff.com/coll...ll/beach-scoop

Wayne
    Hawks88 likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links