Bullhead23

Sep 30, 2012
Omaha, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Current-Minelab E-Trac, Sunray Pro phones, TW digger
Past-Garrett Treasure Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm getting into water/beach metal detecting for the first time and have come to see how hard it is to hunt without a scoop. The areas I'm hunting have a lot of hard clay, thick mud, and rocks. What in your opinion is the best bang for your buck scoop that wont easily break, especially along the weld?

Upvote 0

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Just don't get the 5'' RTG unless you need something light for travel. Its my travel scoop and I have been using it for the last week. Compared to my 9'' stealth scoop its like a toy. I feel like I can't dig with it, especially in the water. And its not the scoop - its the size. The RTG is fine but just way too small...this is also why its great for my travel needs though.

Chuck-N-Detroit

Oct 18, 2010
Warren, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, Equinox and Deus
Primary Interest:
John designed these himself. He did look at all scoops in the market and took input from dedicated water hunters as to what worked for them and what did not. Every stainless scoop has similarities and differences. Here is one of his design drawings, he took two years in developing his product and it continues to evolve from user feedback.
View attachment 1603100

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Oh sure. How stupid do you think we are?

Sunspot Stealth innovations:
First with: Pointed front for easier digging
First with: CNC laser cut mounting tube
First with: Corner gussets
First with: U-Bolt clamping
First with: Laser cut parts
First with: Calling our scoops X-treme
First with: Laser cut mounting tubes
First with: Quick release handle
First with: Top mounting tube plugging into the top for stronger mount
First with: Handle clamp (quick release)
First with: Underside screw to secure Carbon Fiber handle
First with: Large under the handle hole for knocking out frozen handle (sand)
First with: Free gloves with scoop
First with: Bottom rear angle relief to make it easier to retrieve your target
First with: Slotted hybrid sifting for catching small items
First with: Hybrid design
First with: 1 3/8” diameter handle for better floating and grip
First with: A true Carbon Fiber handle
First with: Hollow Carbon Fiber handle which is the lightest
First with: Over sized end cap for better gripping
First with: “Fish Scale” grip on a Carbon Fiber handle
First with: Lifetime Warranty
First with: A marked handle for orientation
First with: Internal Ribs for extra strength
First with: Double folded top front
First with: “ToePad”
First with: Design innovations you may not see but make it light and strong

These are facts, sorry to burst your bubble.

I used the name X-treme in 2014 and he even copied it.

Chuck

Mr. B

Mar 23, 2017
SW Fla.
Detector(s) used
2-Exal 2s Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have that the TRex tackles all my needs and the some.

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
Poor Stavr. He started it all and has to witness how half the world is copying his design..

controlfreq

Dec 2, 2007
This, I believe is the T-Rex but there's no markings on it I can find and really cannot remember. I looked at so many that were so similar. The collapsible handle I purchased from Amazon by a company called Inteletool that markets to forest fire fighters and off road enthusiasts. They make an interesting assortment of tools. I got the cheapest shovel I could find and removed the spade part. The handle insert is machined aluminum and I had to drill the rivets out to remove the OEM full sized spade. On a recent trip to the beach I gave it a good work out (as much as I could, it was not a target rich environment even not a lot of trash...) Despite the ability to extend to a full size handle, I discovered it does most jobs collapsed. I apply a slow steady force when digging in the wat sand and water. I've been know to get carried away and accidentally snap a healthy hickory handle in the garden so I try to take it slow. It's still bulky and a little heavy but does what it was designed for rather well. It just needs experience digging rings, nuggets, and rare coins. :)

scoop collapsed.jpg scoop extended.jpg

goldiger

Greenie
Aug 4, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks chuck on the warrantied scoop I just received back. Great customer care spend little more money and have something last. I sent it in and got it back in less than a week.

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Yes, 720i (20 degrees angle tilt back)
with the lifetime warranty. I dig in clay, rocks, mud, clam shells, and deep sand. ..A Lot..

I can say it has been the best for cutting thru clam shells. Every other I have used had a issue with clay..every scoop cut thru and did good in the clay but if you ever hunted it before you will know it sticks to the scoop, what a pain in the azz, you have to spin the scoop around and dig it out with your foot. But NOT the 720i rarely does it stick, a big time saver. Expensive at 220. but well worth every penny, and to know if it breaks you pay shipping to and it gets fixed for free and done right, then shipped back free.

If your a partime hunter, or vacation hunter buy cheaper. But if you hunt several days a week, why take a chance.

Earlier this year (2018) I tested the guarantee to replace, free, a broken Stealth 720i(x) scoop and true to their word, it couldn't be fixed and they sent a new scoop. I also upgraded to the carbon fiber handle after going thru 4 other handles in a year.

20180715_085759.jpg
Stealth 720i(x) scoop with 3 weld breaks following 1 yr of digging in rocks and dense wet sand (by a Maniac). I kept going all long as I could MDing, knowing that my season was fast coming to an end.

Honeyman

Apr 5, 2015
Cleveland OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just had my new ScooPal scoop on Ft Myers beach this morning. Bought it from Amazon. It's my 1st sand scoop so I don't have anything to compare it to but it performed very well in wet and dry sand.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread