Feb 16, 2017
Santa Barbara,Ca
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Prospector
Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello everyone;
I want to upgrade to a new'er beach saltwater detector. Using a single freq vlf at the moment and as you all know they don't like saltwater. Throw in i live in So Cal where we have LOTS of black sand and my machine doesn't hack it. On the dry , no problem. I'm not going more than knee/thigh deep.
So my question is , I hear the Fisher CZ20/21 is a waterproof CZ5/6 locked in salt mode. How true is this ? Would a CZ5/6 be a good option?

Upvote 0

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The CZ21 is a tough but heavy detector - chest mountable, but it is “locked” in the salt mode. The other CZ’s have a salt mode and a “normal” mode. All work the same in the salt water - till you get the control box soaked, then the other CZ’s die.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with flgliderpilot, the Noxes are the bomb right now. You didn't state your budget, but, there are others that are great for your stated hunting needs. Look at an Excalibur and CTX too. The CZ20-1 are good machines too, but, as mentioned, they're kinda heavy and not well balanced for surf hunting. They also are a silent search machine if it matters to you (it does to me!) The Noxes are the lightest of the bunch, and along with the CTX the most versatile. The Excalibur and CZ's can be used in deeper water (10'+) Other options are the PI machines, but, they lack discrimination, so, you're going to scoop lots of iron targets. The Sand Shark being the least expensive, The Infinium LS being my choice currently. The Infinium at least has a bit of pseudo iron I.D. to it. Maybe if the proposed Fisher Manta comes out soon, it might make it to the top of the list for PI machines.

OP
OP
bravobob

bravobob

Feb 16, 2017
Santa Barbara,Ca
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Prospector
Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like tone machines, I prefer knobs/analog, I'd like discrimination (No PI). I use a belt mount now due to a broken shoulder from a M/C accident.
The Excal and CZ20/21's are about the same price,new and used. Cant afford a CTX ! A new Equinox 600 would be the cheapest and new. I can get a good CZ6 right now for $250 , that's why i'm asking. Figured i could make it more water "resistant". Not going more than knee deep.

Last edited:

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CZ-6, no speaker - just protect the coil connector and you’re good to go unless you submerge the whole thing.

Last edited:

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Surfmaster Dual Field but find its not a good balance for me. That said, it is great on depth. For general use on salt beaches I use the CZ21. Still goes deep and you can use tie discrimination if necessary. I mounted the control box underneath the arm cup allowing better weight distribution.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like tone machines, I prefer knobs/analog, I'd like discrimination (No PI). I use a belt mount now due to a broken shoulder from a M/C accident.
The Excal and CZ20/21's are about the same price,new and used. Cant afford a CTX ! A new Equinox 600 would be the cheapest and new. I can get a good CZ6 right now for $250 , that's why i'm asking. Figured i could make it more water "resistant". Not going more than knee deep.

I don't know of any multifrequency water machine with knobs, and analog display. If you can afford the Equinox, I'd get that. It should run circles around the CZ6.

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an Equinox600 and a CZ6. The Nox definitely DOES NOT run circles around the CZ. The CZ (chest mounted) is much less tiring to use, pinpoints better and picks up less tiny aluminum crap. On rings, the CZ is a bit deeper.

The only waterproof CZ is the CZ21 and it is big and heavy polluters really made for diving.

OP
OP
bravobob

bravobob

Feb 16, 2017
Santa Barbara,Ca
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Prospector
Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know of any multifrequency water machine with knobs, and analog display. If you can afford the Equinox, I'd get that. It should run circles around the CZ6.

I men't older analog technology not display. With digital tech I didn't like getting a tone with numbers that jumped all over, to distracting and confusing. For myself , i found older tech easier to use, more a beep and dig style. With knobs i feel more "one" with the machine. Had a Whites Treasure Pro and a Garrett Ace 250, hated both. The Fisher CZ20/21 and Excalibur 2 are multi freq water machines with knobs and older technology.

I'm a big fan of First Texas and Fisher products. I can make a machine more water "resistant". Seal up the speaker, battery compartment and mounting holes (RTV), coat the inside of the coil plug with dialectic grease,coat the outside with RTV. Dab grease around the base of any knobs and switches. Wrap a bag around it.
Did that with my Bounty Hunter, It's survived a couple rain storms and a dunking .

Last edited:

black_cat

Greenie
Sep 21, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher Cz6a.
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Fisher Cz6a is a very deep machine!
I made a waterproof case made of plexiglass.

IMG_20180530_205525.jpg

IMG_20180530_205250.jpg

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bravobob, check out the DetectorPro Headhunter Underwater. 3 knobs, volume, sens., and disc. Electronics are in the headphones which are completely waterproof to 100'. Rechargeable for 40 hrs. No box on the shaft so the light, easy swinging. Tones are great, anything that clicks is ferrous. Repeatable tones are anything from pulltabs to coins and rings. About the same price ($680 +/-) as the nox600.
It doesn't get much love on Tnet, but I love mine. I end up using it more than my Whites MXT on dry land and is great in fresh or salt water.
There are quite a few youtube vids on it.

littlehugger

Nov 23, 2005
I owned a CZ 6a and currently have a CZ 70Pro.
They are great machines, have dual frequencies, and were advertised as splashproof.
You can also get weather covers to cover the control box.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With a plexiglass case for the cz-6a it would be a great beach machine. The CZ-21 is basically a CZ-6 locked in salt mode.

While the Equinox would be excellent in the dry sand and wet sand, the CZ-6 would probably be better in the water.

You could find a CZ-20 (earlier CZ-21) in that price range, but it's waterproof integrity would be a roll of the dice.

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Have you considered a CZ3d? Its about the same weight and price as the equinox and just as deep as a CZ21. Its not locked in salt mode so its good on land, dry beach, and wet salt beach. Its not waterproof but as you said you can make it water resistant a bit. I think the CZ3D is a much under rated machine for the price and what it does. Also, if you can wait, Fisher is releasing the Manta at some point in the future which will be a PI that can disc iron. I much prefer the all metal modes of the CZ/Excal to the Equinox/CTX tones.

Here is one for sale in the classified, which was tuned by Tom D to ensure maximum depth: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...anos-cz-3d-tom-tuned-12-w-8-5-10-5-coils.html

Last edited:

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have you considered a CZ3d? Its about the same weight and price as the equinox and just as deep as a CZ21. Its not locked in salt mode so its good on land, dry beach, and wet salt beach. Its not waterproof but as you said you can make it water resistant a bit. I think the CZ3D is a much under rated machine for the price and what it does. Also, if you can wait, Fisher is releasing the Manta at some point in the future which will be a PI that can disc iron. I much prefer the all metal modes of the CZ/Excal to the Equinox/CTX tones.

Here is one for sale in the classified, which was tuned by Tom D to ensure maximum depth: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...anos-cz-3d-tom-tuned-12-w-8-5-10-5-coils.html

After what I have been going through digging tiny foils in the water with my Equinox, I'm not sure a PI machine even with DISC would be much better.

It's not cost effective for me to spend 15 minutes digging an earring back 1ft deep in the water. IMO the lack of sensitivity to really thin and small items is a strength not a weakness of the CZ. It does get small stuff, tiny rivets, etc, just not thin and small.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After what I have been going through digging tiny foils in the water with my Equinox, I'm not sure a PI machine even with DISC would be much better.

It's not cost effective for me to spend 15 minutes digging an earring back 1ft deep in the water. IMO the lack of sensitivity to really thin and small items is a strength not a weakness of the CZ. It does get small stuff, tiny rivets, etc, just not thin and small.
Ive never used a PI but if they pick up tiny foil then count me out...PI with iron disc sounded great but I forgot about the foil.

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you don’t dig foil, you don’t find the smallest gold. It is a legitimate choice to give it up in order to make the hunt more efficient. The previous crop of multifrequency detectors took care of this by design, they were pretty deaf to the smallest low conductors even at minimum discrimination. The Nox loves low conductors so much that I guess increased discrimination is the only way to cope with these tiny low conductors like foil bits.

Having said that, a PI with adjustable pulse delay, like the new Fisher PI (Manta)can easily be adjusted to not detect small low conductors. Since this is a continuously variable control, the possibility may exist to fine-tune the setting to just eliminate the lightest, least solid low conductors while signaling on more solid ones. We will see - hopefully before next year’s beach season.

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Old post but the Fisher CZ's still are the #1 in depth on the beach. I have had a Legend for a while now and the CZ's are still king.

Reactions: OBN

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Old post but the Fisher CZ's still are the #1 in depth on the beach. I have had a Legend for a while now and the CZ's are still king.
I don't think my depth has improved much from the newer machines but the sensitivity to smaller targets has a ton. That and weight are huge differences.

Reactions: OBN

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread