Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Minelab Go Find 66 - anyone?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    BrettCo

Apr 2009
    Outside of Philadelphia, PA
    Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
    911 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by bravobob View Post
    I have a Go-find 40 , it works good in dry sand , ok on the wet but does flex's a lot. It only goes about 6in deep on dry 3 to 4 on the wet. Didn't take into the surf. Feels like it will break but the plastic's tough. Gotta watch not to get wet sand on the shaft or make sure you wipe it off before you collapse it. Don't get the head wet. I found pinpointing difficult with the square mono coil but on sand it's close enough. Very portable.
    I like beep and dig. Good cheap beep and dig machine , Bounty Hunter Tracker 4. Less than $100 bucks. I've hit quarters 8in in dry 6in on the wet. 9 silver , 1 gold ring this year so far. So Cal beach's , saltwater and lots of back sand.
    Thanks for the response! Did you do any special settings when in the wet sand? Thanks. Hopefully the new models helped a little with depth. Apparently they fixed some things such as depth.

us
    BrettCo

Apr 2009
    Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
    911 times
    FYI - I just purchased it brand new. Iím excited. With the new enhancements they did to it ( depth, software, flimsiness), Iíll be sure to report back on my experience with it.

Aruba and Bahamas trip is coming up, so Iím looking forward in using it there.

Feb 2017
    Santa Barbara,Ca
    Bounty Hunter Prospector Fisher CZ6A
    1531 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by BrettCo124 View Post
    Thanks for the response! Did you do any special settings when in the wet sand? Thanks. Hopefully the new models helped a little with depth. Apparently they fixed some things such as depth.
    Nope, just walked out into it. Just discriminated out iron. Its best quality IMHO is its portability.
    Now if i just convince Minelab to build a Go-Find EQ. A Go-Find body with a Equinox head.
    BrettCo124 likes this.

us
    BrettCo

Apr 2009
    911 times
    I think Iím not going to discriminate anything, as Iíve heard several times that the machine, at a certain depth, will show good targets as iron. So itís going to be a portable beep and go machine for me. But thatís perfect and exactly what I wanted.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2014
    Massachusetts
    Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II & X-terra 705; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i & DFX
    23156 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    IMHO: Run the machine wide-open (if you can) and no discrimination! Dig everything and have a wonderful vacation.

If you have a test bed, practice pinpointing. If not, bury a few different coins at various depths, pinpoint and watch how the icons change value towards iron with depth.

GL & HH
    BrettCo124 likes this.

us
    BrettCo

Apr 2009
    911 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor of Engineering View Post
    IMHO: Run the machine wide-open (if you can) and no discrimination! Dig everything and have a wonderful vacation.

If you have a test bed, practice pinpointing. If not, bury a few different coins at various depths, pinpoint and watch how the icons change value towards iron with depth.

GL & HH
    Will do, thanks! Looking forward to the trip. Iím sure the machine will do just fine for me.

Feb 2017
    Santa Barbara,Ca
    Bounty Hunter Prospector Fisher CZ6A
    1531 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by BrettCo124 View Post
    I think I’m not going to discriminate anything, as I’ve heard several times that the machine, at a certain depth, will show good targets as iron. So it’s going to be a portable beep and go machine for me. But that’s perfect and exactly what I wanted.
    My main beach use to be a harbor , lots of iron trash. If i didn't discriminate out iron , it sounded like a pinball machine!
    BrettCo124 likes this.

us
    BrettCo

Apr 2009
    911 times
    Lol. The beaches I go to are just resort beaches without a lot of iron in the sand. Iíve detected it for years with the sand shark. Keeping my fingers crossed that itíll do the trick for what Iím looking for

Jul 2018
    I have the 66 and it feels so dam cheap .... Save a bit more and get a better one as I wish I did . Minlab don't even make a coil cover for it and the coil is made cheap and will not last long . The android pro app should have been how the display should be as it will show you the coin it picked up but not the unit, that's relay lame of them....Plus the phone holder that comes with it is also lame they should have made a clip to hold the phone not some crappy arm band for runners ....
    Last edited by Mitolo; Jul 29, 2018 at 07:43 PM.

Apr 2013
    Navarre, FL
    1 times
    Shipwrecks
    I have a Minelab Go Find 40 and surprised me that it works really well in saltwater wet sand. The autotracking really works on this machine and don't get false hits. I can move between wet saltwater and dry sand here in NW Florida with this machine without any manual adjustments.

us
    "Dew" Meeker

Mar 2006
    Gulf Coast, Fl
    MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
    973 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Even a blind squirrel will occasionally find a nut if he gets his coil over it. Its a detector..... it detects metal.... have at it if you arent a serious hunter. Beep and goes like other machines have trade offs. Like was mentioned...... its not practical to use on wet sand. But if your just having fun out there ..... cheap and simple maybe a good choice. Beach hunting can be as simple as beep and go....... but if your main goal is gold...... you will have to hunt differently and upgrade your equipment.

us
    Nov 2017
    Woodland Park, Colorado
    XP Deus, Equinox 800, AT Max, AT Pro, MXT, GMT, Goldmaster 4, Garrett Sea Hunter, Go Find 60.
    27 times
    I've had a Go Find 60 since they were first introduced. Use it mainly in my travels as a Corporate Pilot to beaches in California, Florida, Cabo San Lucas and Puerto Vallarta. Have had a ball with it and love it because it folds up so easily for packing in luggage. Back home I let the Grand Kids use it for the most part as I have other Detectors to use. Had one funny episode in Mexico with it; as I was unfolding it on the beach the Policia must have thought I was putting an M-16 together

Apr 2013
    Navarre, FL
    1 times
    Shipwrecks
    66Seabee: Have you ever done an air test on your 60? I have with my 40 with most common US coins hitting at 8 inches and wondered if the 60 hits deeper?

us
    Nov 2017
    Woodland Park, Colorado
    XP Deus, Equinox 800, AT Max, AT Pro, MXT, GMT, Goldmaster 4, Garrett Sea Hunter, Go Find 60.
    27 times
    Good question but i’ve never done any air testing with mine.

us
    Feb 2014
    Ohio and Florida
    CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils, Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, BH Discovery 3300 w 7" coil, Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil Vibra-Tector 730 w 4" coil, Fisher Pulse Pointer, Whites (1970s)
    1416 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    My main machines are a CTX 3030 and an Excal for seawater hunting. However, for a beep and go, I recently bought a BH Discovery 3300 w 7" coil for less than $100 at COSTCO. I bought it because of the price and features and to carry in my truck. I simply can't believe all of the features. After the headphones on my CTX died during a recent water hunt, I used the Discovery 3300 on dry sand for 3 hrs. Found more coins per hr than with my CTX and 17" coil. Hit coins down to about 7-8" and felt light as a feather. At the high tide line, as expected, it started to chatter and talk back to me, but turning down sensitivity helped but didn't spend much time down there. Whatever way you go, it never hurts to have a beep and go.
    Metal Detecting Goal in Life is to Find Wife a 2ct Diamond Ring (so she'll be quiet about all my metal detecting).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links