Minelab Go Find 66 - anyone?

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

I was interested in the minelab go find 60, but now am more interested in the 66 after calling minelab and hearing the differences in the upgrades: new software, goes deeper, more sturdy. I attempted to post this in a different section but for some reason I can’t post anymore in my own thread. So I’m trying it yet again.

I completely understand this isn’t a equinox or ctx. I am looking for a machine that folds down in seconds and can go in my backpack to a beach to hunt in saltwater wet and dry sand. My intentions are not to have the best chance at finding things, just a “good” chance.

From my reviews, it sounds like the go find 60 actually surprised a lot of people on the beach. The only complaint was a cheap feel and a fear of breaking it. Sounds like some of that was addressed in the new 66.

If you’ve had any machine in the go find series, can you tell me your thoughts on it? I will most likely pick this up at some point today after work.

Thank you all.

BrettCo

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMHO: Run the machine wide-open (if you can) and no discrimination! :icon_thumleft: Dig everything and have a wonderful vacation.

If you have a test bed, practice pinpointing. If not, bury a few different coins at various depths, pinpoint and watch how the icons change value towards iron with depth.

GL & HH

Will do, thanks! Looking forward to the trip. I’m sure the machine will do just fine for me.

bravobob

Feb 16, 2017
Santa Barbara,Ca
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Prospector
Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think I’m not going to discriminate anything, as I’ve heard several times that the machine, at a certain depth, will show good targets as iron. So it’s going to be a portable beep and go machine for me. But that’s perfect and exactly what I wanted.

My main beach use to be a harbor , lots of iron trash. If i didn't discriminate out iron , it sounded like a pinball machine!

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol. The beaches I go to are just resort beaches without a lot of iron in the sand. I’ve detected it for years with the sand shark. Keeping my fingers crossed that it’ll do the trick for what I’m looking for

Mitolo

Jul 29, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the 66 and it feels so dam cheap .... Save a bit more and get a better one as I wish I did . Minlab don't even make a coil cover for it and the coil is made cheap and will not last long . The android pro app should have been how the display should be as it will show you the coin it picked up but not the unit, that's relay lame of them....Plus the phone holder that comes with it is also lame they should have made a clip to hold the phone not some crappy arm band for runners ....:tongue3:

Last edited:

John Navarre

Greenie
Apr 7, 2013
Navarre, FL
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I have a Minelab Go Find 40 and surprised me that it works really well in saltwater wet sand. The autotracking really works on this machine and don't get false hits. I can move between wet saltwater and dry sand here in NW Florida with this machine without any manual adjustments.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even a blind squirrel will occasionally find a nut if he gets his coil over it. Its a detector..... it detects metal.... have at it if you arent a serious hunter. Beep and goes like other machines have trade offs. Like was mentioned...... its not practical to use on wet sand. But if your just having fun out there ..... cheap and simple maybe a good choice. Beach hunting can be as simple as beep and go....... but if your main goal is gold...... you will have to hunt differently and upgrade your equipment.

66Seabee

Greenie
Nov 16, 2017
Woodland Park, Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800, AT Max, AT Pro, MXT, GMT, Goldmaster 4, Garrett Sea Hunter, Go Find 60.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had a Go Find 60 since they were first introduced. Use it mainly in my travels as a Corporate Pilot to beaches in California, Florida, Cabo San Lucas and Puerto Vallarta. Have had a ball with it and love it because it folds up so easily for packing in luggage. Back home I let the Grand Kids use it for the most part as I have other Detectors to use. Had one funny episode in Mexico with it; as I was unfolding it on the beach the Policia must have thought I was putting an M-16 together :)

John Navarre

Greenie
Apr 7, 2013
Navarre, FL
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
66Seabee: Have you ever done an air test on your 60? I have with my 40 with most common US coins hitting at 8 inches and wondered if the 60 hits deeper?

66Seabee

Greenie
Nov 16, 2017
Woodland Park, Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800, AT Max, AT Pro, MXT, GMT, Goldmaster 4, Garrett Sea Hunter, Go Find 60.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good question but i’ve never done any air testing with mine.

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My main machines are a CTX 3030 and an Excal for seawater hunting. However, for a beep and go, I recently bought a BH Discovery 3300 w 7" coil for less than $100 at COSTCO. I bought it because of the price and features and to carry in my truck. I simply can't believe all of the features. After the headphones on my CTX died during a recent water hunt, I used the Discovery 3300 on dry sand for 3 hrs. Found more coins per hr than with my CTX and 17" coil. Hit coins down to about 7-8" and felt light as a feather. At the high tide line, as expected, it started to chatter and talk back to me, but turning down sensitivity helped but didn't spend much time down there. Whatever way you go, it never hurts to have a beep and go.

milsnippers

Aug 21, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, this is my first post on this forum :-)
After using a friend's SDC2300 out in the goldfields area (havent found any gold yet unfortunately need to put in more time).. i decided to get my 5yo a go-find66.
Read the reviews about the 22,44 being flimsy, 66 more sturdy better software etc so decided on this one. Was pleasantly surprised with it, easy to use, pinpoint feature is pretty accurate also and has been great to use considering its so light at just over 1kg! Cant say much about the battery life but i've taken it out twice over a few days probably for an hour or more and the battery indicator still showing full.
Happy with the purchase for now, if the little man keeps up his detecting, i might cave in and get myself a more professional detector and get the day trips happening!

Today's find - a 50yr old vintage padlock from an area that used to be an old mental asylm (he was super excited with his first real treasure find).
IMG_2471.JPG

Flipperfla

Dec 2, 2018
Fl.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Report on my GoFind66. First let me say that it is a great design for packing and portability. Durability zero. I’m am excellent at keeping my gear, vehicles you name it in pristine condition so this was never abused. It failed the 2nd time out. Worked great while it lasted. Keep away from any kind of moisture, the head unit is completely open at the base where the shaft connects so water can get into the head very very easily. KellyCo and Minelab were fantastic with there customer service. Exchanged it for a AT Pro, great machine but I am right back where I started with the breakdown /packability issue. The head unit and pole assy is about 2” too long to fit in a reasonable size pelican type case. Any suggestions on a case would be helpful. I could cut the shaft shorter with a pipe cutter but that will probably void the warranty. The shaft/head assy looks like ass sticking out out my backpack, nice lightning rod while hiking.

Last edited:

Taladeganite

Feb 4, 2020
Antioch, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Mine lab go find 40/60/whites classic
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a go find 40 and 60 and they don't do well in the rain.. they stop working altogether. but once they dry out they're up and running. They really aren't meant for hard use but I modified mine with a crutch tube and it keeps my hands off the detector handle. I use it on pin point mode 100% of the time and I can tell by the tone/icon what I've likely got. They're good on battery's and found them cheap, used and in new condition. $150 for the two and my find$ have paid for them 10 times over. One day I'll get an equinox 800.... But ya.. the bicep brace will crack with use.

I think the GO FIND detectors are great for kids other than that I think the GO FIND detectors are junk.

whistler84

Jun 9, 2015
BEAN FIELD ,IL
Detector(s) used
Whites MX-7 / Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be a great backpacking machine.i been eyeing one for a while too for a scout bag.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread