Minelab Go Find 66 - anyone?

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

I was interested in the minelab go find 60, but now am more interested in the 66 after calling minelab and hearing the differences in the upgrades: new software, goes deeper, more sturdy. I attempted to post this in a different section but for some reason I can’t post anymore in my own thread. So I’m trying it yet again.

I completely understand this isn’t a equinox or ctx. I am looking for a machine that folds down in seconds and can go in my backpack to a beach to hunt in saltwater wet and dry sand. My intentions are not to have the best chance at finding things, just a “good” chance.

From my reviews, it sounds like the go find 60 actually surprised a lot of people on the beach. The only complaint was a cheap feel and a fear of breaking it. Sounds like some of that was addressed in the new 66.

If you’ve had any machine in the go find series, can you tell me your thoughts on it? I will most likely pick this up at some point today after work.

Thank you all.

BrettCo

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have any experience with these, however, depending on the price I'd give it a shot. My best item ever was found with a beep and go.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You posted this on the beach and shallow water forum so I will mention none of the Go Find series will work on wet salt beaches. Yhey will work fine in the dry sand above the high tide line but ont in the damp or wet sand, they are a single freq detector not designed to work on salt water beaches..

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t know know the price difference but, I would buy the Equinox 600 and use it and work both wet, dry, and water. It will break down also. Jmho. Good luck!

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You posted this on the beach and shallow water forum so I will mention none of the Go Find series will work on wet salt beaches. Yhey will work fine in the dry sand above the high tide line but ont in the damp or wet sand, they are a single freq detector not designed to work on salt water beaches..

Thanks for the response! I’ve heard it does well on wet sand. It makes sense for it to not work, but I’m curious if anyone also has used it in the wet sand. Are the reviews true, that it actually works?

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the GO FIND detectors are great for kids other than that I think the GO FIND detectors are junk.

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the GO FIND detectors are great for kids other than that I think the GO FIND detectors are junk.

Thanks for your response. Can you elaborate? If you are looking for something that can pull coins and jewelry from 5-8” off of sand, and have it fold down for ease of storage in backpack, I feel like this would be a good choice.

Also, I don’t want to build a machine even though I know it takes seconds. Just want it to fold up quickly. I just want to make sure they work as promised, which it sounds like it does from reviewing it so far, but I’d love to know from an owner.

Also the new 66 apparently addressed some of those concerns with new software and better locking mechanisms.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your response. Can you elaborate? If you are looking for something that can pull coins and jewelry from 5-8” off of sand, and have it fold down for ease of storage in backpack, I feel like this would be a good choice.

Also, I don’t want to build a machine even though I know it takes seconds. Just want it to fold up quickly. I just want to make sure they work as promised, which it sounds like it does from reviewing it so far, but I’d love to know from an owner.

Also the new 66 apparently addressed some of those concerns with new software and better locking mechanisms.

Mrbrett, I do not own a 66 but I did purchase a 60 when they came out. Even with the flex I found it to be a very good machine and it paid for it's self the first time out with some very good 14 K items. The improvements they have made should make it fit your needs well. I had bought a Garrett 400 prior to that and it has been a very big disappointment and nearly a year later it has only brought in the equivalent value of a coil cover. I think you will enjoy that machine. Please let us know how it does for you if you go ahead and add one to your inventory.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have a Minelab Go-Find 60, just keep it in the trunk wrapped in a blanket. IMHO: The machine works well to about +/-5" after that the display icons starts moving down towards iron. I believe its a good beep and dig machine with not much controls to fiddle with while detecting. As some have said, it does feel cheap, but does fold up nicely and fits very well in a large backpack. This is not a high power detector (like your Safari) and again has no bells a whistles, but for something to have with you to play around with and not spend too much money it may be a quick solution. I have found a ton of clad and a few nice jewelry pieces in play ground areas with this machine.

It would be a great "pass-down" machine to your kids to begin the hobby.

GL & HH

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Minelab Go-Find 60, just keep it in the trunk wrapped in a blanket. IMHO: The machine works well to about +/-5" after that the display icons starts moving down towards iron. I believe its a good beep and dig machine with not much controls to fiddle with while detecting. As some have said, it does feel cheap, but does fold up nicely and fits very well in a large backpack. This is not a high power detector (like your Safari) and again has no bells a whistles, but for something to have with you to play around with and not spend too much money it may be a quick solution. I have found a ton of clad and a few nice jewelry pieces in play ground areas with this machine.

It would be a great "pass-down" machine to your kids to begin the hobby.

GL & HH

This sounds like exactly what I am looking for then! Simple beep and go detector. I use a minelab safari, so I know this isn’t anything compared to that. But if I can find jewelry or money on the beach, it’ll keep me going! Sounds perfect to me. I have the Tesoro sand shark, so I’m content with a beep and go machine.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For a beep and go, I use a $369 Tesoro Cibola. They are a lot less used and you can easily find them used. Will pull coins very deep in dry sand, and will work well in wet sand, without as much depth. Lifetime warranty from Tesoro. They weigh less than 3 pounds and break down easily. For salt water you have to turn the sensitivity down a little, but you can still find a gold ring at 10" or more. I have done it. First one I found was a white gold ring and I didn't recognize it as a ring as I had never found one before! That was a few years ago.

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tempting - but I like minelab a lot, and I just don’t want to build a detector, as dumb as that may sound.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There really is no reason to build a detector these days. It would be fun though.

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There really is no reason to build a detector these days. It would be fun though.
I’m just thinking it will be more convenient on a plane to carry it on, and fold it up and put away when I’m on the beach and want to leave my chair for a little without the machine.

bravobob

Feb 16, 2017
Santa Barbara,Ca
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Prospector
Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a Go-find 40 , it works good in dry sand , ok on the wet but does flex's a lot. It only goes about 6in deep on dry 3 to 4 on the wet. Didn't take into the surf. Feels like it will break but the plastic's tough. Gotta watch not to get wet sand on the shaft or make sure you wipe it off before you collapse it. Don't get the head wet. I found pinpointing difficult with the square mono coil but on sand it's close enough. Very portable.
I like beep and dig. Good cheap beep and dig machine , Bounty Hunter Tracker 4. Less than $100 bucks. I've hit quarters 8in in dry 6in on the wet. 9 silver , 1 gold ring this year so far. So Cal beach's , saltwater and lots of back sand.

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Go-find 40 , it works good in dry sand , ok on the wet but does flex's a lot. It only goes about 6in deep on dry 3 to 4 on the wet. Didn't take into the surf. Feels like it will break but the plastic's tough. Gotta watch not to get wet sand on the shaft or make sure you wipe it off before you collapse it. Don't get the head wet. I found pinpointing difficult with the square mono coil but on sand it's close enough. Very portable.
I like beep and dig. Good cheap beep and dig machine , Bounty Hunter Tracker 4. Less than $100 bucks. I've hit quarters 8in in dry 6in on the wet. 9 silver , 1 gold ring this year so far. So Cal beach's , saltwater and lots of back sand.

Thanks for the response! Did you do any special settings when in the wet sand? Thanks. Hopefully the new models helped a little with depth. Apparently they fixed some things such as depth.

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FYI - I just purchased it brand new. I’m excited. With the new enhancements they did to it ( depth, software, flimsiness), I’ll be sure to report back on my experience with it.

Aruba and Bahamas trip is coming up, so I’m looking forward in using it there.

bravobob

Feb 16, 2017
Santa Barbara,Ca
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Prospector
Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the response! Did you do any special settings when in the wet sand? Thanks. Hopefully the new models helped a little with depth. Apparently they fixed some things such as depth.
Nope, just walked out into it. Just discriminated out iron. Its best quality IMHO is its portability.
Now if i just convince Minelab to build a Go-Find EQ. A Go-Find body with a Equinox head.

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I’m not going to discriminate anything, as I’ve heard several times that the machine, at a certain depth, will show good targets as iron. So it’s going to be a portable beep and go machine for me. But that’s perfect and exactly what I wanted.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
IMHO: Run the machine wide-open (if you can) and no discrimination! :icon_thumleft: Dig everything and have a wonderful vacation.

If you have a test bed, practice pinpointing. If not, bury a few different coins at various depths, pinpoint and watch how the icons change value towards iron with depth.

GL & HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread