flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a set of waterproof headphones which were custom made in Europe for my Equinox. Problem is, when they are dry they extremely base heavy... almost ear splitting. The resonant frequency is a very uncomfortable mid tone, and terribly lacking in treble. When wet, they are high in treble, but faint, and difficult to hear even with volume all the way up.

I'm considering tearing them apart and replacing the waterproof speakers with 50mm piezos on sound boards.

Piezo seems to be the standard in waterproof headphones... but before I tear into my $150 headphones I figured see what opinions you all have.

Anyone else has experienced this with non-piezo headphones?

thanks

Upvote 0

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Not sure which you are talking about, maybe Mals? In england?

I designed the first set of water proof speaker-ed head phones several years ago. What I found was the best speakers were either the Audiosears 2463's which are used in most land head set head phones. (Black widows, Gray Ghost, Killer Bee's...The others were the Kobitones which were used in the Rat Head Phones, The kobitones were very bassy..............audiosears were higher pitched, kind of tinny. Each needs to be protected with Gortex fabric and set in a tube with the back totally sealed. 100% water proof...

OBN0049 (2).jpg OBN0047.jpg

Now on the Piezo's, I copied one design (Gold Masters)

The secret with Piezo's, Use only the Audio unlimited 50mm, the best I've tested, then you want a super thin piezo plate. And the less restriction on the piezo the louder it will be. I use silicon grease as part of the protection.

Here is a quick shot of the gold masters, I do use a even thinner piezo plate, which you called a sound board, which really raises the db's/audio.

IMG_0160.jpg IMG_0167.jpg

a chart on the audio...the gold master would be the same as the skullie tubes, and the 2463 skullies were the speakered. I'm guessing but the audio would for the Nox would be closer to the CTX

OBN0357.jpg OBN0358.jpg

An details needed just send me a message, I no longer do any work but have no problem helping with advice and information.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread