Nox 800 Black Screen Of Death

lostandfound1

Greenie
Oct 29, 2009
Durham Ct
Detector(s) used
Whites Dfx - Whites Dual Surf Pi - Sunray Dx-1- Two Minelab Sovereign GT - And a few coils
Has anyone experience there screen going dead? Mine went black while hunting the salt water.

I was still having issues trying to get the machine to stabilize in the water when this happened. So I went home figuring it was low on battery and recharged it.

Turned the Nox on and now the screen is white. Still not working but the sound works but can't program it. I put a call into Minelab waiting to hear back.

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks just like something bad inside it. They'll have you send it back and most likely send you a new unit. It happens. I bought a computer keyboard the other day which lasted all of a week.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Minelab has upped there image in the customer service so I am sure they will take good care of you. Keep us informed.

One thing I do see a possible issue with is, don't mention aftermarket head phones or a adapter if you've used them. Guessing, but that could be a weak link if you need to use the warranty.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I married 39 years ago and she went bad in two weeks.:laughing7: Just joking honey buns.

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did I just hear the sound of a cast iron skillet bouncing off of your head?

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sounds like the unit was not water tight. no problems here so far hunting in salt water also.

OP
OP
lostandfound1

lostandfound1

Greenie
Oct 29, 2009
Durham Ct
Detector(s) used
Whites Dfx - Whites Dual Surf Pi - Sunray Dx-1- Two Minelab Sovereign GT - And a few coils
Off to Minelab today. We will see what the diagnoses will be.

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they don’t fix them - they are likely unfixable - welded shut - no nondestructive disassembly possible.

good thing there’s a long warranty - non-warranty replacement might not be cheap.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HAVE HEARD OF A FEW OTHERS THAT HAD THEM LEAK TOO

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, not the first one. Anyone remember the length of the warranty? Two years?

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they don’t fix them - they are likely unfixable - welded shut - no nondestructive disassembly possible.

good thing there’s a long warranty - non-warranty replacement might not be cheap.
They actually built something that cant be repaired?...they cant open them up?...When its out of warranty and breaks down, you throw it away and have to buy a new one...is this true?

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Russian video was posted showing opening a Nox. The only way was cut all around the mating line of the two case halves with a Dremel tool. Then peeling the push button screen off destroys it apparently.

I know another knowledgeable individual who has verified that this is indeed the case.

When the first guy backs over his or there is for some other reason a non warranty fault in a control head, we fill find out what is up. The warranty is 3 years so only an accident would tell us what’s up before then.

I doubt any control head faults will ever be repaired - only replaced.

It makes some sense for a waterproof machine, probably easiest way to seal it and repairs to water machines involve re-sealing and pressure testing - which means those repairs are usually well over $200.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
I married 39 years ago and she went bad in two weeks.:laughing7: Just joking honey buns.

rook3434 - Now we all know that your wife never visits this forum!
HH
dts

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Has anyone experience there screen going dead? Mine went black while hunting the salt water.

I was still having issues trying to get the machine to stabilize in the water when this happened. So I went home figuring it was low on battery and recharged it.

Turned the Nox on and now the screen is white. Still not working but the sound works but can't program it. I put a call into Minelab waiting to hear back.

Uh oh - sounds like the death knell for your 800. I haven't gotten mine into the water yet.
Good luck
dts

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread