Cococay and Nassau Bahamas

BallsDeep

Apr 30, 2012
Eastern Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Whites Surf Dual Field, Garrett Carrot Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
We are taking a cruise to these ports of call and I have been researching on bringing a detector (Whites Surf PI) via Royal Caribbean and everything I have read is from several years ago and the replies are so conflicting. :dontknow: Has anyone been successful recently on bringing and using one at these ports? TIA

Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you should have no problem at all - that being said a few over the yrs have had problems
I have never been on a cruise - do not give me enough hunting time
That being said - some time back a few guys were having trouble with a few of the cruise lines and
I stepped up and wrote a handful of them a letter expressing my displeasure with some of their employees
taking it upon themselves to make rules that were never really in existence about bringing them on board.
I said that I was the president of a world wide detecting organization and we had 100s if not 1000s of
detectorists that use their cruises and if they were going to implement these rules that they would be losing
a lot of business and that we all would find a line that did not have this problem - I also told them I wrote for
a major publication (at the time I wrote for a minor publication) and would tell others to boycott them also
a got "butt kiss" replys from them all - and pretty sure Royal Carribean was one of them. I ve got friends in Fla. that
cruise all the time with theirs and have never had a problem - but all it takes is one "mightier than thou" attitudes
to spoil your party - I had a guy at an airport tell me -"You cant take that on the plain" - this was just before TSA
I made him get his supervisor and almost missed my flight - (they were paging me to the gate over and over) his boss put him in his place
as he mumbled "well ..they shouldn't be allowed" - Making up his own rules
lot of guys now do the ole "don't ask...don't tell' - pack it in a carry on and only speak about it if spoken to about it.
I take 2 CZ21s with me in a carry on - I used to take my Pi Pro same way - I will pack the upper rods in my equipment case
if that suitcase gets lost - I can hunt shallows with lower rod using chest mount or go to a hardware store and buy a
mop handle - shovel handle and duck tape lower rod to it. When they go thru the xray and if I see them stop the belt
I will tell them - "they are 2 underwater metal detectors" and they will usually say - "okay ..I see the headphones and the coil
and the box" and send me on my way - some times they will call others over and show them so they can identify down the road.
if you know what the upper rod of the cz21 looks like flip over - it look like a small rifle - so I stopped taking those in the carry
especially after one young girl saw it on xray in Barbados and started screaming "Gun...Gun!" and men with real guns showed up.

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't belive there's much detecting at Nassau port (?) I think the ships dock right on the town quayside?

ATPRoDon

Nov 26, 2007
Griffin, GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI, Whites V3i, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know about any issues with bringing a MD on a cruise ship but I went twice to the Bahamas last year once to Nassau and the other time to Bimini Island. Had no issue using my metal detector (Took my Whites Dual Mode Surf PI) and even saw other people out there on the beach. If your docking in Nassau your kind of in the middle of the island and not really close to the beach.

OP
OP
BallsDeep

BallsDeep

Apr 30, 2012
Eastern Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Thanks so much for the reply, I did speak with a Royal Caribbean rep and a supervisor that flagged my account as ok and approved to bring and use at both ports. This happened only after I measured it, assured them that it was not a commercial industrial detector and got clarification on what a industrial detector meant to them, apparently it means the wands used at security check points. such confusion as the rules are so grey on this with them. so it appears I am good to go...now to figure a way to bring my big scoop :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
BallsDeep

BallsDeep

Apr 30, 2012
Eastern Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I plan on mainly searching in CocoCay as our itinerary is quite full in Nassau but from what I read, 20-30 mins to the beach by cab so ya never know.

Chiara1988

Tenderfoot
Jul 16, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dear, i’ve read your post and i write you if this week you’ll be in New Providence (Nassau). I’m bere and i have lost my wedding ring. Can you please help me find it?

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Welcome to Tnet from Mississippi. Hope you can find your ring.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread