Florida beachgoer who took queen conch shells sentenced to 15 days in jail

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Florida beachgoer who took queen conch shells sentenced to 15 days in jail: report | Fox News

By Zoe Szathmary | Fox News

1532028650376.jpg

A 30-year-old woman from Dallas, Texas, is facing more than two weeks of jail time next month after removing protected conchs from the water last summer, the Florida Keys Keynoter reports.

A Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) officer nabbed Diana Fiscal-Gonzalez at a Key West home in July 2017 after someone reportedly witnessed the woman cleaning off the mollusks.

The officer said he found the conchs in plastic bins and transported them back into the ocean, with the majority of them alive, according to the newspaper.

Fiscal-Gonzalez allegedly intended for the 40 seashells to be gifts.

On Friday, she pleaded no contest and told a judge she wasn’t aware it was against the law to take them, the report said.

She was sentenced to jail for 15 days and given 6 months probation in addition to paying $268 in court costs and a $500 fine, according to the newspaper.

The Florida FWC says people can legally collect seashells, but the shells can't contain a living organism.

"It is not unlawful to possess queen conch shells in Florida as long as the shells do not contain any living queen conch at the time of collection, and so long as a living queen conch is not killed, mutilated, or removed from its shell prior to collection," the agency explains on its website.

Upvote 0

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am all for protecting things like the queen conch But someone tell me why we are protecting the Great White Shark? It likes to hang out in warm water off shore and loves to nibble on people. Their numbers are coming back very quickly and they are constantly spotted in swim surf areas. I stay out of the Pacific

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The conch they sell these days all come from the caribbean. Going back many years i could walk out in the ocean side and collect my 6 daily limit that was dinner i would put mine in the freezer ,then thaw the next day and pull the meat out and have a nice shell. these days you hardly see any it . These crustaceans were over fished hard so somebody could make a buck on selling the shell to some tourist. I dont see one every time i go out like i once did I would say they are trying to make a comeback when i do see one or two it makes my day I would say they are rare to see

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions