Apr 25, 2018
Charleston, SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Garrett ACE 400
Garrett GTA 1000 (recently deceased)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I’ve got about $150 in Amazon gift cards (I’ll throw in some extra cash if necessary) hanging out and I’m in the long handled sand scoop market. Only problem is that it has to be from Amazon. I’m open to whatever suggestions y’all fine folks have for me. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I’d prefer it to not be aluminum and not have the square dry sand “screen” on the back.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rebbel31

Aug 1, 2014
Bavaria, Germany
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Xp deus, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd pick up one the the RTG's. They have a great reputation. Last thing u want is a sketchy scoop.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
RTG Aluminum Scoop!

Attachments

• BeachShark.jpg
    BeachShark.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 96

Bengsxr

Jul 14, 2018
Pearland, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a quest scoopal. I know I am new but I don't care for aluminum tools.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're just hunting the dry sand, just about any of them will work ok. If you're digging wet sand, out in the surf, or rocky/shelly areas, you'll regret getting a cheap scoop. Not much in your price range that I would recommend. Look for ones with a decent amount of gusseting and bracing of the upper panel and where the handle attaches. That is the area most prone to getting cracks and eventual failure.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use RTG travel model - its just as sturdy as the regular but its easy to pack for travel if you ever need to
I had a stainless sharp lip added to mine

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just buy the best scoop without a handle and then go to the hardware store and get a wooden shovel handle. That's what I did for Mary and it works fine. We only have fresh water around here so not sure if the wood would last in sea water. Something like this:

scoop.jpg

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Get this one from RTG.....you have the best of both worlds... light weight for easy handling while working water and wet sand and a heavy duty stainless steel tip for working the rock and gravel beds. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1532203953.727363.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1532203966.890993.jpg

metalhealth

Aug 6, 2014
N.C.
Detector(s) used
excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RTG all the way. I have a 6” stainless monster because I use it in freshwater with rocks and sometimes heavy shells at the beach. It weighs about 7lbs so it’s somewhat heavy. If you’re only going to be in sand, I would go with aluminum. The 6” aluminum is only about 4 lbs. if you’re going to be in rocks at all, I would stick with stainless. You don’t want your nice scoop developing cracks over time. Is about 50 bucks more for the stainless. I will be getting an aluminum one at some point for the sandy bottom.

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yea. Buy direct from stavr or rtg or sunspot or any other one they all have distributors or sell direct. No need to use Amazon....

I don’t want to have to go to amazon for everything. Lol.

I’ve got about $150 in Amazon gift cards (I’ll throw in some extra cash if necessary) hanging out and I’m in the long handled sand scoop market. Only problem is that it has to be from Amazon. I’m open to whatever suggestions y’all fine folks have for me. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I’d prefer it to not be aluminum and not have the square dry sand “screen” on the back.

Sleepy

Jan 20, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's DFX White's Spectrum XLT, 2 Fisher CZ21's, 2 Tesoro Compadre's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can get most of what you want from companies by going through Amazon. I do that a lot myself. I have an RTG aluminum five inch scoop and an RTG six inch two piece travel scoop. I've used the five inch in coarse sand and small gravel for about six years now and it's as good as the day I bought it. I just purchased the six inch about two years ago. All my hunting is in the water.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Go to the amazon website and type in the search box “sand scoops for metal detecting” and you will get a ton of options.
Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread