Are most deep signals are false?

Alpha137

Jan 5, 2017
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Often. Usually deep signals are larger items, cans, scrap iron, etc... So it depends on the area and what artifacts you may be looking for. Large deep signals are an enigma. They can pay off, it could be a cache of coins, a gun, or something cool. Most of the time they are not. In lakes and rivers it is the same. You have to weigh the value of time vs possible artifact recovery, which is often very low in value. I take them on an individual bases and sometimes it is your gut instinct along with reading your detector that tells you to dig or move on. Good luck. If you dig enough of them you learn and in time it will pay off. Is it worth it? Often no. But yes, just to learn your machine so you know better when to dig or not. Contradictory I know. haha. That is what I am learning.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it makes noise dig it. You'll never know if its junk or not of you don't .Dozens of threads here ,confirm.

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Deep metal kills me in creek beds here. The worst is large aluminum items, which sometimes ring in the high 90's...

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Really, there's a whole lot of dynamics to consider here.

On one spot a couple years ago I scooped a tiny silver ring at about 15" (my upper calf) out of a sanded lake beach using the Excal, it was only a whisper - but a solid one. Almost gave up on it, took a lot of scooping.

But then there's a lot of spots with rocky bottoms, fast moving current, and you're bringing up mud in your scoop. But, those spots do have treasures. And as bologna said, lot's of trash.

Be wary of river currents, I got surprised - carried away by the current with only my toes feeling bottom a couple years ago. That one was touchy, had my very serious attention.

If you're going to hunt rivers, please get a flotation vest and wear it.

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The best ring I've found was one I almost didn't dig because the signal was weak.......was a 14k with diamonds almost 21 inches deep

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not in my book - I like hitting spots that go to 1800s or early 1900s - I live for faint and deep targets
now and the will get a real hot rock and will be deep but rarely

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The answer is "it depends". It depends on where you are the history. There's one swimming area that I go to that has a lot of deep cans. I've dug many of them there. Another place, on the same lake, has a lot of smaller junk and many old coins. I used to stop digging when the hole got too deep, mostly because it's all rocks and hard to dig. Then a few years ago I decided to try to get that junk out of there so I would stop hearing it and found that those deep "cans" were actually half dollars. Since then, I've dug about a dozen halves - Franklins, Walking Liberties, and Barbers. All because I decided to remove the deep targets. Last night, I dug almost a foot for a Barber quarter there.

Scott

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the nox?? if so where do you run your sensitivity? Iv noticed running my sensitivity at 20 i get way less falsing and dig way less junk and still hit the deep targets...

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
incorrect assumptions here. Junk does not equal "false" signals. If you are getting a repeatable tone but it disappears when you try to dig, it likely sunk deeper and flipped on edge when you started digging. Large junk is my bigggest problem because it sounds so good but turn out to be 2 - 3 foot deep. Then its disapointing because you realize that there are probably gold and silver sitting that deep too but you'll never detect them.

Terry In Florida

Mar 3, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Year old post but, I think it comes down to being one of three types of md'ers.

Type #1, the kind that leaves stuff in the ground because they have been frustrated and disappointed too many times by digging junk and want the hobby to be easy and fun but will probably never really find much real treasure, maybe just enough to make it feel worthwhile. Mostly a once or twice a week md'er, at best.

Type 2#, the kind who detects more than most, digs every signal and refuses to let a target beat him, digs a ton of junk but also is rewarded with good solid finds, often enough to make it look like you could quit your day job to a type #1.

Of course type #1 may never understand the commitment and dedication to the hobby type #2 gives on a regular basis to find and post all of their unique finds on the forums, lol...

I use to fish every chance I got, the entire weekends and any days during the week that I could sneak out in the boat and toss a hook. It didn't matter if I had company or not, I even actually preferred fishing alone. the quiet, peaceful, soulfulness of being one with the water... But because I was out there all the time, I could always find the fish, I knew the environment, the temps, the depths and the baits to use. I knew how to creep up on them, or how to drift the boat over an area and swing back around because I could tell the area was going to produce more bites.

I was a type #2 fisherman, now I'm a type #1 fisherman, don't get out on the water near as much as I used to, fish are harder to locate, second guess myself, it just isn't the same.

I'm trying to take my MD'ing to the next level, trying to be a type #2. I want to dig every signal, fell like my excal is yelling at me to dig them up, lol... I feel like the one I don't dig, will be the treasure I never found! I want to know if the signal is a bottle cap, or a pull tab, if it's a penny, a nickel, a dime or a quarter or a piece of aluminum foil? I don't even care what it is as much as I want to ID it, I want to learn...

Oh yea, almost forgot...

Type #3 is Ron Lord. he's in a class all by himself.
He finds some great chit! I am definitely a fan!

FloridaSon

Sep 29, 2018
Between Half Reale Beach and Nuestra Seflora de La
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
+1 Terry in Florida ... Go and go often; dig, and dig all good (and faint repeatable) sounds... I am reaching the point where due to age I see slowing down one day. But while you are there, esp on a deserted beach (which happens when it is not a perfect sunny day) makes you think about how things were when items were lost, there is a story to every find. Learn the beach like Terry learned the fish. I like the research as well, on locations.

Currently searching inland with permission, a former WWII training base near the ocean. (Some large signals I leave alone. haha) While waiting for some sand to move. It's all the journey.

Have fun

FS

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Turning sensitivity down a bit can reduce false targets. And it depends on how clean the ground is. Sorry Toecutter, didn't see your above post. I think sensitivity is over used at times.

Last edited:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
For me it's about knowing the history (And Target History) of the places you hunt. ...beach, river, lake, cove, or bay. And it takes many trips of hunting these spots.....All are different!!....Just an example, one spot I have up a river cove. I get faint signal from point A to point B, (130 feet) I dig everything..no matter the signal...over in area C...nothing but junk (60 feet)....Someday I'm going to clean the place out, spend a few days in there, is there gold hidden..I would say yes.
One interesting note also, I got to know the old guy that has lived there since the 40's. He told me no one swam over in area C, Just A to B. And he added if you look across from the swim area there our trees on the other side of the river. They would swim from A/B area to that area (D), (200 feet away from A/B), several years he said they had a rope they could swing off and fall into the water. I would guess I've got over 60 gold rings from the A to B in the last 3 years. Nothing from the C area, yet other then light trash, and from the rope swing area...I need to try yet. How many trips there, a easy 50+, and that's what it takes to get this cove beach to where I know it like the back of my hand and it's not a very big place. I have about 10 beach's I know this well, Five years of hunting them and still to this day each will surprise me with a new Learn.

My buddy Bromo, first time I seen him I was in the water hunting. He came limping down his pier and set down in his chair. I said to myself, O boy he's going to say something about me hunting in here. SO after 30 minutes I decided to walk over and see what was up. We talked for close to a hour, Great guy with some amazing historical stories of that area. I still go by and visit him from time to time just to say hi....My best source for information on most of the beach's up that river. 93 years old..

20180227_131858.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions