Should I buy a CTX 3030?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you just got the 800, why are you buying something else so soon?

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you just got the 800, why are you buying something else so soon?

I was wondering the same but you just wondered it first....:notworthy:
OP,if you’re asking if the CTX is a very capable machine on a lot of fronts,yes...I have found this to be true,being a coin hunter in the worst of inland parks,schools,residences,etc. I have not had mine swimming,so not sure about the water part. It’s very handsome,lots of gizmos and actually delivers the goods...you won’t be ashamed to swing it. You might be ashamed if you swing it in the wrong place and don’t find anything,but hey,you’ll sure look good doing it!
Seriously,yeah...I get along with mine really well. And being as it’s mostly composites,they’re hard to wrap around a tree...

OP
OP
Channon

Channon

Feb 8, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I feel like I’m missing out on depth with the 800. Which is also why I’m considering a PI machine

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you got 2 new machines coming out soon - both bragging they will go deeper
you might want to wait and see
that deep stuff isn't going anywhere - yet

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel like I’m missing out on depth with the 800. Which is also why I’m considering a PI machine

Depth is not everything, majority of targets are not usually going to be so deep the Equinox want see them.

OP
OP
Channon

Channon

Feb 8, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’m new to salt water. I guess I had too high of an expectation of targets (good and trash) in the water since I never see anyone out there in my area

OP
OP
Channon

Channon

Feb 8, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was wondering the same but you just wondered it first....:notworthy:
OP,if you’re asking if the CTX is a very capable machine on a lot of fronts,yes...I have found this to be true,being a coin hunter in the worst of inland parks,schools,residences,etc. I have not had mine swimming,so not sure about the water part. It’s very handsome,lots of gizmos and actually delivers the goods...you won’t be ashamed to swing it. You might be ashamed if you swing it in the wrong place and don’t find anything,but hey,you’ll sure look good doing it!
Seriously,yeah...I get along with mine really well. And being as it’s mostly composites,they’re hard to wrap around a tree...

I might be going overseas for a deployment for nine months. If I do I think I’m going to invest in one for relic hunting because I’ll have the extra money, I also hunt trashy areas, and this is by far my favorite hobby.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
For me the two most important things, get to know your beach's, and your machine. Then you will have a much better Idea on what you need.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I might be going overseas for a deployment for nine months. If I do I think I’m going to invest in one for relic hunting because I’ll have the extra money, I also hunt trashy areas, and this is by far my favorite hobby.

The Nox is excellent as an all around detector......relics, coins, jewelry, etc. It's also a good machine in iron infested sites. No need to get a dedicated relic machine. I find the Nox doesn't go quite as deep as one of my Excaliburs with a 15" coil, but, it's certainly acceptable. It isn't much different than the stock Excalibur coil.

OP
OP
Channon

Channon

Feb 8, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I appreciate all of your feedback. I’ve been doing this for 5 years but I’ve only had the AT Pro so I’ve never really looked into other machines until now. I really feel like I don’t know anything except how to swing my coil

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
First and foremost, thank you for your service. You probably have it covered with the 800.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with TH you arent digging a ton of gold deeper. Also...... you can air test or test garden any of these multi freq machine...... but once they hit the water all things are equal. There are things i like about the Nox, Xcal, and CTX...... but it aint depth. The make up of gold jewelry may make it shallower than you think in most cases. PI..... yes gets more depth.... but all i need to know is ... is the target iron or not.... VLFs just do it better. We leave a LOT... i mean a LOT of trash behind with a VLF..... take all that trash.... foil, bobbie pins, fish hooks, crab traps, wire ect....... then consider you get 2" and you are in virgin ground with even more trash never picked thru. If you want one....... id wait on Fisher and make a decission between their machine and a the TDI.

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Were I in your situation, I'd stick with the EQX until the detecting situation requires a change. That EQX is a very capable machine and as you gain time and experience on it, that experience will tell you if you would benefit by adding another machine to your kit...PI or CTX 3030.

Just the view from my foxhole...

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The deeper the targets the less reliable discrimination becomes. If you want to recover more good deep targets then you simply have locate and dig more of those deep targets. With the shallower targets we can typically trust discrimination so we can identify the target first and then decided to dig them or not. However, with deep targets it's just the opposite, first we have to locate those deeper targets and then we have to dig them in order to accurately identify them. There's just no getting around this.

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

I just posted a CTX for sale. Take a look at it.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just posted a CTX for sale. Take a look at it.

And this is from someone who owns both the CTX and Equinox 800, along with many others. That should tell you something.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate all of your feedback. I’ve been doing this for 5 years but I’ve only had the AT Pro so I’ve never really looked into other machines until now. I really feel like I don’t know anything except how to swing my coil

I went from the ATP to the CTX and they are 2 different machines, and I think the NOX would be more inline with your ATP. They seem great for quick recovery, but the VDI is all over the place.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread