Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have been detecting now for 5 years. I am sorry that I didn't get into this in my 20's. Having said that, i am curious to know what the average time out detecting is? The reason I ask is because when I go detecting I usually leave at 345 am and arrive at the beach around 6 am. I usually do this 3 times a week and detect anywhere from 6 am to 5 pm and walk detecting water and sand between 7 to 10 miles. My scoop weighs 5 lbs the stealth extreme empty and I dig anywhere from 300 to 800 targets each outing. If you do the math 300 empty is 1500lbs add rock and sand you could be moving as much as several tons of sand and rock. I would say that all of the beach hunters get a great workout each time they hit the sand. What are your thoughts?

Upvote 0

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
5 to 7 hours dry sand, wet sand and water. I wish I was digging as many targets as you.

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Dang

I couldnt play that long. I'd get bored.

My style is a bit different than most, but It's because I'm always moving. I have hundreds of spots with potential along 60-80 mile routes to my dad's house, or my cabin.

I dig five targets, or detect an hour. Then I move along down the road.

I also enjoy the road trip, and finding the sites, as much as the detecting.

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am 67 and detect 2-4 hours, by then my legs are toast, especially if I spend a lot of time in the soft dry sand, wet sand not as bad.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do about 5 hrs in the surf this time of year and hit a bit of the dry sand when the tide comes in on the walk back. I know the dry sand is ok I just hate the volume of trash up there. This year targets were slim due to replenishment but I was digging 50-200 targets in that period it just depends how they sound and how easy they are. I had a nice silver chain with pendant get away from me this summer in the surf. It was the most frustrating experience. The wave slapped it off my scoop as I went to grab it. I tried to pin it down with the detector head but it got pulled out and then I tossed my scoop up on the beach and was chasing it around but it wouldn't settle in and was washing in the surf. I spent a half hour looking for it but started hitting other targets and lost it altogether. I've had good signals go too deep in the hole or wash out of the scoop but never had it out in the air like that and lose it. Ugh. This season was tough for me. Today all the guys are elbow to elbow in the swimming spots that opened up after Labor day. I was tempted but Tuesday is my toughest day of work and my luck has been terrible. I am not a big fan of that competitive level of detecting. I feel like a bunch of jimmie crabs in a bushel basket. It'll be interesting to see what the guys find though.

Bengsxr

Jul 14, 2018
Pearland, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I normally hit the beach at 6pm or 7pm then go till about 12am I do the wet sand as tide is normally low at night. I dig at least a few hundred targets. I would go longer but the 3030 with the 17 inch coil will wear me out. Some targets are super deep and take a while to get. I been on a dry spell of jewelry for the past few weeks only finding junk. I never find any silver coins and I average about $5 bucks in clad a night. I need to go in the day time and work in the water because I won't get in at night.

tahomatom

Sep 3, 2013
Sutter Creek, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000di pro plus
Whites id beach hunter
Got rid of the Minelab pointer,
Then got a Garrett. Much better pointer.
Minelab Xterra 705
Ibuprofen
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good job Gerry and got to hand it to you for your endurance. I usually put in 3 to 5 hours detecting but I swing an old Whites 6000 di pro plus so the weight gets to me some.
I only dream of working the treasure coast and have read about the 1715 fleet that went down with millions worth of silver, gold, emeralds and beautiful jewelry.
Looks like you may have a hurricane coming that loads up your beaches with new treasures. Good luck to you.

claire

Nov 24, 2008
long island ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm V, MX 5, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the summer, I hunt about 4-5 days a week. I arrive between 6-7am and leave between 9:30-10. I live 15 mins away from the beach. I have no idea how many targets I dig. Do you guys really count? In the summer I average about $3-8.00 a hunt. Fall and winter I concentrate more in the wet sand

Last edited:
OP
OP
slider66

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
In the summer, I hunt about 4-5 days a week. I arrive between 6-7am and leave between 9:30-10. I live 15 mins away from the beach. I have no idea how many targets I dig. Do you guys really count? In the summer I average about $3-8.00 a hunt. Fall and winter I concentrate more in the wet sand

Most people won't belive this but my friend that I go with doesn't like to leave anything on the beach. We usually hunt together. Last week in one day he dug 980 coins, dollars, nickels, dimes and pennies. That does not include the rings, bracelets and garbage like pull tabs and other trash. He logs all finds and trash in a log to track his finds. A few weeks ago he found a working Rolex. People were sad because it was stainless and not gold lol I'll take that all day long.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
You should get paid for cleaning the beach...with the amount of targets you dig..

Me,..Being an Old Goat, normally 2/4 days a week, 4 hours (in the water only) is a good hunt for me. The amount of targets dug, 10 to 40.

I get a Hot area, I live there..Gold does that to me..:laughing7:

dig deeper now

Jul 10, 2013
fulltiming rv'er anywhere in the 48 states
Detector(s) used
Safari MINELAB, minelab pin pointer,lesche left sided teeth ,Lowe's short shovel,12'' sand scoop 5x9 in. 2900 battery
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as you think you need tired or not-I guess. That's what I do-- longest was 7 1/2 hours + break for drink & sandwich have to. HH

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I do about 5 hrs in the surf this time of year and hit a bit of the dry sand when the tide comes in on the walk back. I know the dry sand is ok I just hate the volume of trash up there. This year targets were slim due to replenishment but I was digging 50-200 targets in that period it just depends how they sound and how easy they are. I had a nice silver chain with pendant get away from me this summer in the surf. It was the most frustrating experience. The wave slapped it off my scoop as I went to grab it. I tried to pin it down with the detector head but it got pulled out and then I tossed my scoop up on the beach and was chasing it around but it wouldn't settle in and was washing in the surf. I spent a half hour looking for it but started hitting other targets and lost it altogether. I've had good signals go too deep in the hole or wash out of the scoop but never had it out in the air like that and lose it. Ugh. This season was tough for me. Today all the guys are elbow to elbow in the swimming spots that opened up after Labor day. I was tempted but Tuesday is my toughest day of work and my luck has been terrible. I am not a big fan of that competitive level of detecting. I feel like a bunch of jimmie crabs in a bushel basket. It'll be interesting to see what the guys find though.

You did not miss much....

Gunpowder was a bust, heard someone had hunted it out a few night before. It was checked last week for holes and none were seen, but tuesday (am) cleaned out with many holes as the hunters awaited a great hunt. Sad someone would slip in in do that.... But the good, the camara's were rolling I have been informed.

Sandy point, one gold ring and a gold pendent were found...I snagged the gold ring...about 13 hunters, 10 were in the water.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt for about 1-2 hrs at a time and then break for about an hour or so. These days, typically I let the hunt and the circumstances dictate my pace. I'm also coming to realize that the frequent breaks allow me to remain sharper while I'm actually hunting, especially if I'm hunting trashy/contaminated conditions. Once I get to feeling drained those little breaks and tics all start to sound the same and I can too easily miss them.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
4 to 6. Depends too if I'm finding much.

Foggynotion

Jun 11, 2017
SW Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Ctx 3030/
DetectorPro Headhunter Pulse/
DetectorPro Underwater 8 / Fisher CZ21
Primary Interest:
I hunt 3 days a week and if I'm wading, I go for 3 hours from 4 am to 7 am. If I decide to dive instead, I get in the water at dawn and hunt for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread