Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have a question for anyone who has the stealth Extreme sand scoop and the graphite shaft. I have the extreme with the ash handle. Last year I traveled overseas with it and had to cut off my ash shaft in order to come back to the states. The ash handle swelled up and I could not get it out of the scoop. Only option was to saw the handle off. I tried knocking the handle out with a hammer but it would not budge.

I know that sunspot makes a graphite shaft and they make graphite travel shaft. I was wondering if someone on T-net has the graphite shaft and has any trouble getting it out of the scoop after it has been used for awhile. I am thinking of buying the shaft for travel, I prefer to buy the long graphite shaft vice the travel shaft so I can use it here in the states. If you have one could you post and give me your thoughts? Thanks for taking the time to read this and respond. I appreciate it. Best regards.

Upvote 0

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Hmmmmm...... I have an ash handle in my Extreme.....

OP
OP
slider66

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Yes and it will be hard to remove the wood swells

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
The scoop is Stainless, I guess I could just burn it out when the time came.

rc2125

Feb 15, 2010
Indiana/Michigan border
Detector(s) used
~ XP Deus II & Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had so many scoops i can't keep track of them all, many have been stealths, a few with carbon fiber handles that see tons of hours of use. Never had a carbon fiber one stuck in the tube bad enough to not get out with too much effort (best i can recall). Have had plenty of ash handles seized up tight in the scoop tubes though.

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No problem with my carbon fiber shaft coming out. The travel shaft warns it's not as sturdy on their site so I'd go with the regular shaft. Worth the money.

sonnar28

Dec 2, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had exactly the same experience as you had with the swollen wood handle on the X-treme scoop, I had to have it sawed off to fit the suitcase. I called my Puerto Rico hotel front desk and asked to borrow a saw and some trash bags, in less than 15 seconds I had a maintenance man and several armed hotel security men in the room to see what I was up to.

I have used the current travel handle offered by Stealth Scoops since its introduction. It is a two piece handle ( both upper and lower carbon fiber ), it does NOT stick in the scoop and can be easily removed. I do use electrical tape to seal the scoop/handle and upper/lower handle connections to keep sand out as a precaution.

The handle balances the scoop perfectly, you will love it!

Charles

OP
OP
slider66

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
I had exactly the same experience as you had with the swollen wood handle on the X-treme scoop, I had to have it sawed off to fit the suitcase. I called my Puerto Rico hotel front desk and asked to borrow a saw and some trash bags, in less than 15 seconds I had a maintenance man and several armed hotel security men in the room to see what I was up to.

I have used the current travel handle offered by Stealth Scoops since its introduction. It is a two piece handle ( both upper and lower carbon fiber ), it does NOT stick in the scoop and can be easily removed. I do use electrical tape to seal the scoop/handle and upper/lower handle connections to keep sand out as a precaution.

The handle balances the scoop perfectly, you will love it!

Charles

Thanks for your input. I'm leaning towards the one piece. I take a five foot PC tube with end caps and send my Excal shafts and scoop handles when I travel. I use the plugger travel shaft and put that in my suitcase. It works perfect.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I had a fiber glass handle get stuck in the 720, broke the handle and tried to remove it. Ended up cutting it off at the SS tube then just dremeling it out.....the reason the FG broke was the SS was eating into the fiber glass, it got weak and cracked right at the top of the SS mounting tube. This time around I ordered a CF and noticed they sent me some electrical tape to wrap around the CF before installing ....should fix the problem.

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you can always drill them out, little bit to bigger bit .

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the 920ix with the carbon fiber handle, but, I haven't tried to remove it yet. As mentioned, it comes with a roll of tape to wrap around all the seams to keep the sand out.

OP
OP
slider66

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
I have the 920ix with the carbon fiber handle, but, I haven't tried to remove it yet. As mentioned, it comes with a roll of tape to wrap around all the seams to keep the sand out.

Thanks. My friend and I are debating whether to order the CF handle for a trip overseas. Do you find the scoop a little difficult to push down in the water? I have heard it's a little different than the ash handle.

sonnar28

Dec 2, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Carbon fiber handle is not hard to push down in the water for me.

It has been a while since I used a stealth scoop with a wood handle, but if there is a difference with the carbon fiber, it is a good difference.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Not wanting to spend the money for a CF handle, I tried the wooden to fiberglass handles, all with some success but all came with one problem or another.
Then I purchased a Stealth 720i with a carbon fiber handle. What a difference in weight and function. I’m very happy with the purchase and it’s holding up great. Just wish my shoulders were. Lol!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the 920ix with the carbon fiber handle, and a 720 with a wooden one and the U-bolts. The 720 is now my backup (pretty much collecting dust unless a friend needs to borrow it!) unless I need to dig in the rocks/shells/cobble. It's reinforced on the bottom ridge to keep it from denting, so it's plenty heavy. The 920ix is a dream to use compared with all the others I've used. I've added assist lift handles on both of them. Makes it much easier to drag or carry, and to lift a heavy slug of wet sand out of the hole. Sunspot sells two different lift handles, a regular duty and a heavy duty. Don't bother with the regular duty one. I've broken two of those. The heavy duty one has been holding up fine so far. I also have a Pro Handle on the 720. It's available from Home Depot online and maybe other places like Lowe's? Menard's? Ace? I'm not sure the Pro Handle will fit the carbon fiber handle. It barely fits the wooden handle and I think the carbon fiber one is a bit bigger in diameter. Wait a sec....I'll go check.....yeah, it's bigger in diameter. Might not fit, or you would have to modify or remove the inner rubber pads, or use some other method (inner tube?) to pad the shaft from the handle. You need something to keep the lift handle from spinning on the CF handle and to protect the carbon fiber from damage.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread