Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Lost a Customer for Life!!!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    13012 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (5)
    I would think a modification the manufacturer could see would throw out the warranty. Doesn't matter which manufacturer.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2015
    NC
    Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre, Nokta Pin pointer.
    2667 times
    If you read the fine print, no matter what the product, a lifetime warranty usually applies only to manufactures defects. Normal wear and tear is not covered. Also, i have never ever heard of a manufacturer covering their product when after market modifications have been done.
    smokeythecat likes this.
    Dig till you drop!

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    13012 times
    Banner Finds (5)
    What Ammoman said.

us
    "BIG DAVE"

Nov 2012
    Aberdeen, MD
    Fisher CZ 21, CZ20, CZ 7a Pro, White's Beach Hunter 300, Stealth 920xi
    751 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ammoman View Post
    If you read the fine print, no matter what the product, a lifetime warranty usually applies only to manufactures defects. Normal wear and tear is not covered. Also, i have never ever heard of a manufacturer covering their product when after market modifications have been done.
    Well, thank you for your input. Didn't think of that. Maybe you didn't get the point.

us
    "BIG DAVE"

Nov 2012
    Aberdeen, MD
    751 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeythecat View Post
    What Ammoman said.
    What I said. You're missing the point.

us
    Aug 2018
    SW Missouri
    Garrett All Terrain Pro
    2678 times
    If you feel like you got treated poorly take the time to email this thread link to Fisher and allow them to respond. Not taking a side here but let people know you got a place to very publicly complain.
    I will add any thing you do to change the product does provide a company a reason to void the warranty. If they so desire. Maybe not how we deal with others but there it is.
    RustyGold likes this.
    You may forget but let me tell you this: someone in some future time will think of us-Sappho

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2015
    NC
    2667 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DJWEHAGE View Post
    Well, thank you for your input. Didn't think of that. Maybe you didn't get the point.
    i don't think i missed the point. From what i understand, you were told one thing by one person in your favor and then corrected by another after you sent the machine in for repair. I suspect you were not pleased by the decision and made it clear to him that you were not happy.

He responded in kind.
    Dig till you drop!

ca
    Hawks88

Aug 2012
    Niagara falls
    Equinox 600, fisher gold bug pro.
    3620 times
    Nice gold ring find. Congrats

us
    "BIG DAVE"

Nov 2012
    Aberdeen, MD
    751 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ammoman View Post
    i don't think i missed the point. From what i understand, you were told one thing by one person in your favor and then corrected by another after you sent the machine in for repair. I suspect you were not pleased by the decision and made it clear to him that you were not happy.

He responded in kind.
    You did miss the point.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2015
    NC
    2667 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DJWEHAGE View Post
    You did miss the point.
    Then i apologize for missing the point. I have reread the thread and i still don't get it. What is the point that i have missed?
    Dig till you drop!

us
    Jan 2007
    Gold Canyon AZ
    ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
    455 times
    With respect, I looked up the Fisher warranty.

The original warranty is NOT a promise that the unit will never wear out for your lifetime, but a warranty against manufacturing defects. If you read the original warranty, you will see that it says exactly that

Your coil problem (after 20 years or so) is clearly not a “manufacturing defect”. Things wear out.

Fisher will repair your unit, but only if they can return it to you in good working condition and with their guarantee that their repairs make it so.

They have apparently examined your headphones (as modified by you) and found them to be not in conformance with specifications - likewise they have examined the battery door and found some issue with it.

You will also notice the specific exclusion in the event of “self repair”.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2B54EB0B-7693-4A3E-BB1B-F3A09A02D8FE.jpeg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	1633999
    Last edited by Rick K; Sep 19, 2018 at 11:04 PM.
    DizzyDigger likes this.

us
    "BIG DAVE"

Nov 2012
    Aberdeen, MD
    751 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick K View Post
    With respect, I looked up the Fisher warranty.

The original warranty is NOT a promise that the unit will never wear out for your lifetime, but a warranty against manufacturing defects. If you read the original warranty, you will see that it says exactly that

Your coil problem (after 20 years or so) is clearly not a “manufacturing defect”. Things wear out.

Fisher will repair your unit, but only if they can return it to you in good working condition and with their guarantee that their repairs make it so.

They have apparently examined your headphones (as modified by you) and found them to be not in conformance with specifications - likewise they have examined the battery door and found some issue with it.

You will also notice the specific exclusion in the event of “self repair”.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2B54EB0B-7693-4A3E-BB1B-F3A09A02D8FE.jpeg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	1633999
    How many times do I have to explain this? Everything you graciously pointed out has already been discussed. They knew I had exchanged the headphone case. They knew I broke the coil tab. They told me to send it in anyway. I was reluctant to send it in but after speaking with both Felix and the tech (I believe his name was Dennis) I went ahead and paid the $57 to ship it to Texas. The POINT is that Felix's attitude was poor. Also, he acted like we had never discussed the issue I was having and the fact that I changed the headphone case, which, does not, in anyway effect the workings of the detector- except to improve them. The other POINT is a warning to others to NOT modify any part of their detector if they want to keep the warranty intact.

May 2018
    Surfmaster PI Dual Field Equinox 600
    6 times
    It would appear that some here are unfamiliar with The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. By law, the burden is on the manufacturer to prove that a modification caused the problem. Fisher would have to prove that changed the headphone housing caused the coil tab to break for example.

That's all beside the point though. If Fisher told the OP that it was covered then they should have honored that promise. If Fisher decided later that refusing to fix the coil tab issue was worth more to them than honoring the promise then, at the very least, they should have reimbursed all expenses incurred by the OP.

By neither honoring the promise to fix nor reimbursing all expenses incurred by the OP it gives the entire occurrence the appearance of it being a trick to get the OP to send the unit in and then later charge for expensive repairs.

It's likely all much more innocent that it appears at the moment. The agreement to fix the coil tab issue was probably an error made by technical department but companies need to consider the damage to their reputation when breaking agreements.
    DJWEHAGE, RustyGold and Nitric like this.

us
    "BIG DAVE"

Nov 2012
    Aberdeen, MD
    751 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by OnTheBeach View Post
    It would appear that some here are unfamiliar with The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. By law, the burden is on the manufacturer to prove that a modification caused the problem. Fisher would have to prove that changed the headphone housing caused the coil tab to break for example.

That's all beside the point though. If Fisher told the OP that it was covered then they should have honored that promise. If Fisher decided later that refusing to fix the coil tab issue was worth more to them than honoring the promise then, at the very least, they should have reimbursed all expenses incurred by the OP.

By neither honoring the promise to fix nor reimbursing all expenses incurred by the OP it gives the entire occurrence the appearance of it being a trick to get the OP to send the unit in and then later charge for expensive repairs.

It's likely all much more innocent that it appears at the moment. The agreement to fix the coil tab issue was probably an error made by technical department but companies need to consider the damage to their reputation when breaking agreements.
    Perfect! Couldn't have said it better, and apparently I didn't. Thanks for the comment. I agree that it's probably more innocent than it appears. The whole situation could have been handled better dashed with a hint of compassion.

us
    Jan 2007
    Gold Canyon AZ
    ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
    455 times
    DJ, Now I understand your situation better. I suggest you pick up your phone and call Fisher.

Russ Balbirona is their Director of Marketing - here’s his contact details. He is the guy who customer service reports to.

Russ Balbirona
    Director of Marketing
    First Texas Products
    O-(915)-633-8354x405
    C- (915)-309-8560
    1120 Alza Dr.,
    El Paso, TX 79907, USA
    www.fisherlab.com
    www.tekneticsdirect.com
    www.detecting.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads