DJWEHAGE

Nov 30, 2012
Aberdeen, MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 21, CZ20, CZ 7a Pro, Equinox 800, Stealth 920xi
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have been a Fisher Lab customer for over 30 years. That ends today. I owned a CZ20 since 2000. A year ago, the pinpoint button went up. They converted it to a CZ21 and informed me that my Lifetime warranty would remain. Two weeks ago, I snapped a coil tab in the ocean. I spoke to Felix who said it wouldn't be covered by the warranty and sent me over to the technical department. They told me it would be covered and to send the unit in. I informed them that I changed out the headphone covers for a more comfortable, more sound proof set. They said that as long as I didn't modify the electronics, I would be OK. I spoke with Felix today and he informed me that they were going to charge me $357 to fix the coil, the headphones, and the battery door (for some reason). He also informed me that my warranty is now void because I changed the headphone housing. I pleaded my case with no avail. I've dealt with Felix in the past and have always gotten a fair shake. This time, not so much. His attitude was like he couldn't have cared less. Gave me no options at all. I told him to send me the unit back and that they've certainly lost a customer. I still have the original headphone housing and could have put them back on. I guess that's my fault. I just wanted to warn people that ANY mod to your detector will likely void the warranty. It seemed like he got enjoyment in conveying the message. On a good note, I did find this 10k ring (#34 year to date) in VA Beach Sunday with my back-up CZ20 I just bought from Mr. Scott. Thank you, sir!

0C48DF80-5EEF-4FD6-AC5B-D7957DFBF750.jpeg

Upvote 0

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you feel like you got treated poorly take the time to email this thread link to Fisher and allow them to respond. Not taking a side here but let people know you got a place to very publicly complain.
I will add any thing you do to change the product does provide a company a reason to void the warranty. If they so desire. Maybe not how we deal with others but there it is.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, thank you for your input. Didn't think of that. Maybe you didn't get the point.

i don't think i missed the point. From what i understand, you were told one thing by one person in your favor and then corrected by another after you sent the machine in for repair. I suspect you were not pleased by the decision and made it clear to him that you were not happy.

He responded in kind.

OP
OP
DJWEHAGE

DJWEHAGE

Nov 30, 2012
Aberdeen, MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
i don't think i missed the point. From what i understand, you were told one thing by one person in your favor and then corrected by another after you sent the machine in for repair. I suspect you were not pleased by the decision and made it clear to him that you were not happy.

He responded in kind.
You did miss the point.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did miss the point.

Then i apologize for missing the point. I have reread the thread and i still don't get it. What is the point that i have missed?

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With respect, I looked up the Fisher warranty.

The original warranty is NOT a promise that the unit will never wear out for your lifetime, but a warranty against manufacturing defects. If you read the original warranty, you will see that it says exactly that

Your coil problem (after 20 years or so) is clearly not a “manufacturing defect”. Things wear out.

Fisher will repair your unit, but only if they can return it to you in good working condition and with their guarantee that their repairs make it so.

They have apparently examined your headphones (as modified by you) and found them to be not in conformance with specifications - likewise they have examined the battery door and found some issue with it.

You will also notice the specific exclusion in the event of “self repair”.

2B54EB0B-7693-4A3E-BB1B-F3A09A02D8FE.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
DJWEHAGE

DJWEHAGE

Nov 30, 2012
Aberdeen, MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
With respect, I looked up the Fisher warranty.

The original warranty is NOT a promise that the unit will never wear out for your lifetime, but a warranty against manufacturing defects. If you read the original warranty, you will see that it says exactly that

Your coil problem (after 20 years or so) is clearly not a “manufacturing defect”. Things wear out.

Fisher will repair your unit, but only if they can return it to you in good working condition and with their guarantee that their repairs make it so.

They have apparently examined your headphones (as modified by you) and found them to be not in conformance with specifications - likewise they have examined the battery door and found some issue with it.

You will also notice the specific exclusion in the event of “self repair”.

View attachment 1633999
How many times do I have to explain this? Everything you graciously pointed out has already been discussed. They knew I had exchanged the headphone case. They knew I broke the coil tab. They told me to send it in anyway. I was reluctant to send it in but after speaking with both Felix and the tech (I believe his name was Dennis) I went ahead and paid the $57 to ship it to Texas. The POINT is that Felix's attitude was poor. Also, he acted like we had never discussed the issue I was having and the fact that I changed the headphone case, which, does not, in anyway effect the workings of the detector- except to improve them. The other POINT is a warning to others to NOT modify any part of their detector if they want to keep the warranty intact.

OnTheBeach

Tenderfoot
May 30, 2018
Detector(s) used
Surfmaster PI Dual Field
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
It would appear that some here are unfamiliar with The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. By law, the burden is on the manufacturer to prove that a modification caused the problem. Fisher would have to prove that changed the headphone housing caused the coil tab to break for example.

That's all beside the point though. If Fisher told the OP that it was covered then they should have honored that promise. If Fisher decided later that refusing to fix the coil tab issue was worth more to them than honoring the promise then, at the very least, they should have reimbursed all expenses incurred by the OP.

By neither honoring the promise to fix nor reimbursing all expenses incurred by the OP it gives the entire occurrence the appearance of it being a trick to get the OP to send the unit in and then later charge for expensive repairs.

It's likely all much more innocent that it appears at the moment. The agreement to fix the coil tab issue was probably an error made by technical department but companies need to consider the damage to their reputation when breaking agreements.

OP
OP
DJWEHAGE

DJWEHAGE

Nov 30, 2012
Aberdeen, MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
It would appear that some here are unfamiliar with The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. By law, the burden is on the manufacturer to prove that a modification caused the problem. Fisher would have to prove that changed the headphone housing caused the coil tab to break for example.

That's all beside the point though. If Fisher told the OP that it was covered then they should have honored that promise. If Fisher decided later that refusing to fix the coil tab issue was worth more to them than honoring the promise then, at the very least, they should have reimbursed all expenses incurred by the OP.

By neither honoring the promise to fix nor reimbursing all expenses incurred by the OP it gives the entire occurrence the appearance of it being a trick to get the OP to send the unit in and then later charge for expensive repairs.

It's likely all much more innocent that it appears at the moment. The agreement to fix the coil tab issue was probably an error made by technical department but companies need to consider the damage to their reputation when breaking agreements.
Perfect! Couldn't have said it better, and apparently I didn't. Thanks for the comment. I agree that it's probably more innocent than it appears. The whole situation could have been handled better dashed with a hint of compassion.

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DJ, Now I understand your situation better. I suggest you pick up your phone and call Fisher.

Russ Balbirona is their Director of Marketing - here’s his contact details. He is the guy who customer service reports to.

Russ Balbirona
Director of Marketing
First Texas Products
O-(915)-633-8354x405
C- (915)-309-8560
1120 Alza Dr.,
El Paso, TX 79907, USA
www.fisherlab.com
www.tekneticsdirect.com
www.detecting.com

Good information to know. Thank you for posting this Rick.

OP
OP
DJWEHAGE

DJWEHAGE

Nov 30, 2012
Aberdeen, MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope that turned out OK for you - Russ is pretty good at sorting out issues when he has all the facts.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LIFEtime warranty means lifetime warranty you got a raw deal nice ring
The warranty I think states that it is void if you mess with coil - headphones or box
but none of mine had a lifetime warranty as far as I know - I got my 2 machines back that leaked without a problem
Felix said one of my coil tabs looked thin and think they were going to replace the coil too - I said no not now
did not want to spend the extra money right now and I had 3 machines and if it went - I would do it then
they replaced it anyways no charge - Im not sure - I might have a good coil some where - if I can find it
its yours Dave

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i can see where fisher is right in not covering a broken tab since that is wear and tear

Last edited:
OP
OP
DJWEHAGE

DJWEHAGE

Nov 30, 2012
Aberdeen, MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
The warranty I think states that it is void if you mess with coil - headphones or box
but none of mine had a lifetime warranty as far as I know - I got my 2 machines back that leaked without a problem
Felix said one of my coil tabs looked thin and think they were going to replace the coil too - I said no not now
did not want to spend the extra money right now and I had 3 machines and if it went - I would do it then
they replaced it anyways no charge - Im not sure - I might have a good coil some where - if I can find it
its yours Dave
Thanks for the offer, Casper! That's why I love this hobby! Always someone to help out when the chips are down. Thanks to OBN, also, who offered his services. Two great guys! I have an update. Russ called me yesterday and said he saw this post. After conversing with him about the issue, they've decided to fix the detector at no charge to me and to keep the warranty intact! I want to thank Fisher and Russ, specifically, for their generous offer.

OP
OP
DJWEHAGE

DJWEHAGE

Nov 30, 2012
Aberdeen, MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive been wanting to fill my headphones (on at least one of my cz21s) with something to make them non buoyant
but did not want to void warranties - but don't think mine are life time as others have said - mine only had 5
year ones I think - and those are by the wayside

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the offer, Casper! That's why I love this hobby! Always someone to help out when the chips are down. Thanks to OBN, also, who offered his services. Two great guys! I have an update. Russ called me yesterday and said he saw this post. After conversing with him about the issue, they've decided to fix the detector at no charge to me and to keep the warranty intact! I want to thank Fisher and Russ, specifically, for their generous offer.
Awesome! Great outcome. That’s the Fisher I know.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread