DJWEHAGE

Nov 30, 2012
Aberdeen, MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 21, CZ20, CZ 7a Pro, Equinox 800, Stealth 920xi
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have been a Fisher Lab customer for over 30 years. That ends today. I owned a CZ20 since 2000. A year ago, the pinpoint button went up. They converted it to a CZ21 and informed me that my Lifetime warranty would remain. Two weeks ago, I snapped a coil tab in the ocean. I spoke to Felix who said it wouldn't be covered by the warranty and sent me over to the technical department. They told me it would be covered and to send the unit in. I informed them that I changed out the headphone covers for a more comfortable, more sound proof set. They said that as long as I didn't modify the electronics, I would be OK. I spoke with Felix today and he informed me that they were going to charge me $357 to fix the coil, the headphones, and the battery door (for some reason). He also informed me that my warranty is now void because I changed the headphone housing. I pleaded my case with no avail. I've dealt with Felix in the past and have always gotten a fair shake. This time, not so much. His attitude was like he couldn't have cared less. Gave me no options at all. I told him to send me the unit back and that they've certainly lost a customer. I still have the original headphone housing and could have put them back on. I guess that's my fault. I just wanted to warn people that ANY mod to your detector will likely void the warranty. It seemed like he got enjoyment in conveying the message. On a good note, I did find this 10k ring (#34 year to date) in VA Beach Sunday with my back-up CZ20 I just bought from Mr. Scott. Thank you, sir!

0C48DF80-5EEF-4FD6-AC5B-D7957DFBF750.jpeg

Upvote 0

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hence why i reckon Minelab would most likely not cover the Equinox when people take it apart to fit custom shafts.

Even if the Equinox developed a fault which had nothing to do with the shaft.

Matt.

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice ring by the way!

Gold dance!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry to hear about your treatment. Great Gold Though!!:skullflag:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:sad5:

Ditto what Terry said.

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting you posted this DJ. I have dealt with Felix twice in owning my CZ for the past 5 plus years. The first time round I specifically asked for his assistance as many here on TNET stated that he is the "go to guy" and I had no issues and a normal conversation with the fella. Repairs were made and I was good to go. Second time round (several months ago), I felt like he could care less of what I was saying and our interaction bordered on the edge of rudeness. I still have my CZ-21 as I love that machine; but, it has been relegated to being a backup to my EQ 800. The CZ21 is built like a beast so I'm sure I will still have it kicking around for plenty of years to come; but, do hope that I do not have to rely on Fisher support any further as I don't think another interaction will go any better than what you experienced.

-TwoYewts

OP
OP
DJWEHAGE

DJWEHAGE

Nov 30, 2012
Aberdeen, MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Interesting you posted this DJ. I have dealt with Felix twice in owning my CZ for the past 5 plus years. The first time round I specifically asked for his assistance as many here on TNET stated that he is the "go to guy" and I had no issues and a normal conversation with the fella. Repairs were made and I was good to go. Second time round (several months ago), I felt like he could care less of what I was saying and our interaction bordered on the edge of rudeness. I still have my CZ-21 as I love that machine; but, it has been relegated to being a backup to my EQ 800. The CZ21 is built like a beast so I'm sure I will still have it kicking around for plenty of years to come; but, do hope that I do not have to rely on Fisher support any further as I don't think another interaction will go any better than what you experienced.

-TwoYewts
Sounds like the exact same experience! Gives me a little piece of mind knowing I'm not then only one. Thanks!

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
DW, while I can appreciate your frustration over the issue, please
don't swear off of Fisher just because of one bad situation.

Odds are it wasn't Felix's call, and honestly, I know of no electronics
products manufacturer that will warranty a product after the customer
has opened the case and made modifications. There are actually very
valid reasons for the policy.

Fisher has always made a quality machine (used 'em for years), and even
though it (understandably) ticked you off having to pay for the repairs,
you've still got a top performing machine that's been frequently used
for the best part of 20 years.

You can bet that someone from Fisher will see the thread, and maybe
they'll address or correct the attitudes of those in their customer service dept.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hence why i reckon Minelab would most likely not cover the Equinox when people take it apart to fit custom shafts.

Even if the Equinox developed a fault which had nothing to do with the shaft.

Matt.

Custom shafts are not a problem, changing the housing would be.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrads on the Gold Dave!

Sorry to hear the issues with Fisher, Sad they have always been a leader along with White's on customer service.

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LIFEtime warranty means lifetime warranty you got a raw deal nice ring

OP
OP
DJWEHAGE

DJWEHAGE

Nov 30, 2012
Aberdeen, MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
DW, while I can appreciate your frustration over the issue, please
don't swear off of Fisher just because of one bad situation.

Odds are it wasn't Felix's call, and honestly, I know of no electronics
products manufacturer that will warranty a product after the customer
has opened the case and made modifications. There are actually very
valid reasons for the policy.

Fisher has always made a quality machine (used 'em for years), and even
though it (understandably) ticked you off having to pay for the repairs,
you've still got a top performing machine that's been frequently used
for the best part of 20 years.

You can bet that someone from Fisher will see the thread, and maybe
they'll address or correct the attitudes of those in their customer service dept.

I didn't open the case. The issue was with the coil tab. Told it was covered. Even told them I changed the housing on the headphone. Would have never sent it in. They originally told me to epoxy it. Bottom line- did what they asked me to do and got hosed. His attitude is what really ticked me off.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Wow. Congrats. That's a beauty. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
DJWEHAGE

DJWEHAGE

Nov 30, 2012
Aberdeen, MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Congrads on the Gold Dave!

Sorry to hear the issues with Fisher, Sad they have always been a leader along with White's on customer service.
I have an extra 10.5" coil for my CZ7A Pro. Tech at Fisher said it would work for the 21. Do you know of a way to exchange/splice it without opening the case? If not, how about a recommendation on a quality epoxy?

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would just get some carbon fiber or something strong and trace your old tab and drill a hole.
Then epoxy the broken one to that making it even stronger probably would do the good tab too the same way.

I have an extra 10.5" coil for my CZ7A Pro. Tech at Fisher said it would work for the 21. Do you know of a way to exchange/splice it without opening the case? If not, how about a recommendation on a quality epoxy?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think a modification the manufacturer could see would throw out the warranty. Doesn't matter which manufacturer.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you read the fine print, no matter what the product, a lifetime warranty usually applies only to manufactures defects. Normal wear and tear is not covered. Also, i have never ever heard of a manufacturer covering their product when after market modifications have been done.

OP
OP
DJWEHAGE

DJWEHAGE

Nov 30, 2012
Aberdeen, MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
If you read the fine print, no matter what the product, a lifetime warranty usually applies only to manufactures defects. Normal wear and tear is not covered. Also, i have never ever heard of a manufacturer covering their product when after market modifications have been done.
Well, thank you for your input. Didn't think of that. Maybe you didn't get the point.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread