Water Scoop Recommendations

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm looking to get a new scoop. The one I have is homemade (it only cost me $12.50, plus $10 for a repair a few years ago) and it isn't very good in rocky areas. What do people recommend that is reasonable in price? I've found a used Gold Digger T-Rex 8" available nearby for $125, with the ash handle installed.

The only issue I have with all the scoops I've seen is that I think the holes are too big and smaller items, particularly earrings, can fall through them. The one I had made has very small holes and almost nothing gets through, other than the sand, which I like. I don't chase items around like others I know do because they just don't fall through. On the other hand, it takes me a lot longer to retrieve items because of the way my scoop is designed.

Thank you,

Scott

Upvote 0

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I LOVE my Stealth 920 IX Hybrid. It has slots instead of holes in the back to catch the little things. I added 1/4 inch hardware cloth to the bottom {zip ties} and have a strong magnet zip tied in the front bottom to catch an ferrous metal.

SurgTech57

Mar 15, 2014
South Bend
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 800, and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Well I agree with the Stealth scoop. I own three different scoop my first one was off of eBay the Ukranian scoop and the holes were large but it worked. The main problem was the tip of it bending in reservoirs with rocky bottoms made by US Army corp of engineers. The second scoop is a stainless two piece travel scoop made by RTG. The holes are also large and it's kinda heavy so I only use it on vacations. I finally broke down and bought a Stealth 720 which has become my go to scoop. It's built like a tank total quality and it has two size holes the smaller ones at the bottom don't let anything slip through so I highly recommend it wether you choose the 700 or 900 series. The 900 is larger and heavier and because I'm older I went with the 700 series.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread