Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I am thinking of modifying one of my Excals with an inline quick disconnect to allow me to use the stock coil and a 15 inch coil, Nel, Coiltek or other coil. I was wondering if any of you are using a 15 inch coil on the Excal and is so what are you using or what would you recommend? I do water, wet and dry sand detecting but spend a lot of time in the water. Thanks for your input.

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the stock 8", 10", the 15" WOT (newer design), and the 15" NEL Attack. I use them in the water, wet, and dry myself. Of the 15" ones, I like the Attack coil the best. Even though they are both called 15", the NEL is slightly bigger than the WOT. I also think the NEL pinpoints better, goes slightly deeper, and is a little more stable in the surf. It's less expensive too! :icon_thumright: Keep in mind that they're a lot harder to swing in the water than the smaller coils. They're great for covering huge areas of sand though.

sonnar28

Dec 2, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the stock 8", 10", the 15" WOT (newer design), and the 15" NEL Attack. I use them in the water, wet, and dry myself. Of the 15" ones, I like the Attack coil the best. Even though they are both called 15", the NEL is slightly bigger than the WOT. I also think the NEL pinpoints better, goes slightly deeper, and is a little more stable in the surf. It's less expensive too! :icon_thumright: Keep in mind that they're a lot harder to swing in the water than the smaller coils. They're great for covering huge areas of sand though.

You nailed it!

The only downside that I have had with the attack coil is that it is more sensitive to interference from another detector, especially a CTX. A pinpoint button is nice too as it can be hard to get the coil's sweet spot reproducibly over the target in discriminate if there is fast current or surge..

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i only use discrimination for about a second, just to I.D. iron. Then I click the button back to all metal. It pin points and is more stable in that mode.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I also have a 6 pin open up connector and a NEL 15 x 12 ddouble D coil. I have an original blue sword with a green handle Excal. Gary Storms model. That came with a 8”coil. It (the 15 x 12) works fine but is more of a drag in water, and being larger is harder to pinpoint but not bad. I think the 10” is a good one. Some guys love the 12” .

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big coils wipe me out. IN the water..... by time you adjust them you may gain some depth, but the workout to me aint worth it. If you have a lot of long shore dift...... its just plain work. It comes down to personal preference...... and physical ability IMO. I guess we will see how much people like digging when the large coil for the Nox comes out too.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been using 15 inch coils for probably 10 years and love them, I own 4 excals, one has 15" wot, one has 12X15 SEF, one has Nel 13" and one has 10 inch stock coil, all 4 have the PP mod and are on straight shafts.

I learned quickly when using the large coils in the water to work with the current not against it. As waves or swells roll ashore I am sweeping towards shore, as they recede back to sea I am sweeping towards the ocean. I work about a 10 foot wide path as I work parallel to shore. I also always use a bungee harness which takes the weight off my arm, I use harness with all my detectors, even the Equinox. The harness gives me the ability to let go of detector in 4 feet of water and use both hands on my scoop, the detector stays right by my side, coil down controls up. as I scoop.

Now then again, I am only 70 so maybe when I get old it will become a problem...:laughing7: :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread