Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By cudamark
  • 1 Post By sonnar28
  • 1 Post By cudamark
  • 1 Post By Treasure_Hunter

Thread: 15 Inch Coils On Excal II Your Thoughts

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Garry

Nov 2013
    Treasure Coast
    Minelab Equinox 800 Minelab CTX 3030 Garrett AT Pro Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch Tesoro Sand shark Whites prizim 4 Minelab Go 20 Stealth Extreme 920I Sand S
    1418 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)

15 Inch Coils On Excal II Your Thoughts

I am thinking of modifying one of my Excals with an inline quick disconnect to allow me to use the stock coil and a 15 inch coil, Nel, Coiltek or other coil. I was wondering if any of you are using a 15 inch coil on the Excal and is so what are you using or what would you recommend? I do water, wet and dry sand detecting but spend a lot of time in the water. Thanks for your input.
    If you don't look for it you won't find it!! So get out there and dig it.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    5462 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    I have the stock 8", 10", the 15" WOT (newer design), and the 15" NEL Attack. I use them in the water, wet, and dry myself. Of the 15" ones, I like the Attack coil the best. Even though they are both called 15", the NEL is slightly bigger than the WOT. I also think the NEL pinpoints better, goes slightly deeper, and is a little more stable in the surf. It's less expensive too! Keep in mind that they're a lot harder to swing in the water than the smaller coils. They're great for covering huge areas of sand though.
    slider66 and sonnar28 like this.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

us
    Dec 2011
    61 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by cudamark View Post
    I have the stock 8", 10", the 15" WOT (newer design), and the 15" NEL Attack. I use them in the water, wet, and dry myself. Of the 15" ones, I like the Attack coil the best. Even though they are both called 15", the NEL is slightly bigger than the WOT. I also think the NEL pinpoints better, goes slightly deeper, and is a little more stable in the surf. It's less expensive too! Keep in mind that they're a lot harder to swing in the water than the smaller coils. They're great for covering huge areas of sand though.
    You nailed it!

The only downside that I have had with the attack coil is that it is more sensitive to interference from another detector, especially a CTX. A pinpoint button is nice too as it can be hard to get the coil's sweet spot reproducibly over the target in discriminate if there is fast current or surge..
    slider66 likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    5462 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    i only use discrimination for about a second, just to I.D. iron. Then I click the button back to all metal. It pin points and is more stable in that mode.
    slider66 likes this.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

us
    ARRG

Feb 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
    143 times
    Shipwrecks
    I also have a 6 pin open up connector and a NEL 15 x 12 ddouble D coil. I have an original blue sword with a green handle Excal. Gary Storms model. That came with a 8”coil. It (the 15 x 12) works fine but is more of a drag in water, and being larger is harder to pinpoint but not bad. I think the 10” is a good one. Some guys love the 12” .

us
    D. Meeker

Mar 2006
    Gulf Coast, Fl
    Blue Xcals and CTX
    863 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Big coils wipe me out. IN the water..... by time you adjust them you may gain some depth, but the workout to me aint worth it. If you have a lot of long shore dift...... its just plain work. It comes down to personal preference...... and physical ability IMO. I guess we will see how much people like digging when the large coil for the Nox comes out too.
    Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.... John Wooden.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Orlando, Fl
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    27525 times
    I have been using 15 inch coils for probably 10 years and love them, I own 4 excals, one has 15" wot, one has 12X15 SEF, one has Nel 13" and one has 10 inch stock coil, all 4 have the PP mod and are on straight shafts.

I learned quickly when using the large coils in the water to work with the current not against it. As waves or swells roll ashore I am sweeping towards shore, as they recede back to sea I am sweeping towards the ocean. I work about a 10 foot wide path as I work parallel to shore. I also always use a bungee harness which takes the weight off my arm, I use harness with all my detectors, even the Equinox. The harness gives me the ability to let go of detector in 4 feet of water and use both hands on my scoop, the detector stays right by my side, coil down controls up. as I scoop.

Now then again, I am only 70 so maybe when I get old it will become a problem...
    cudamark likes this.
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

USAF 1967-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links