Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By StinkinLincoln
  • 2 Post By WaterWalker
  • 3 Post By CASPER-2
  • 2 Post By Sleepy
  • 1 Post By rook3434
  • 1 Post By A2coins
  • 1 Post By DJWEHAGE

Thread: Hunting at Caribbean resorts

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Feb 2018
    18 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Hunting at Caribbean resorts

What are the policies for detecting at resorts in the Caribbean? Wife and I are planning on going to an all inclusive like Sandals or Couples and was wondering if they allowed detecting on their beaches. If not then I was thinking of maybe getting one of those little hand held PI detectors and just snorkeling with one of those. Wouldnít think they could object to that.
    A2coins likes this.

us
    Jan 2007
    Cape Cod, Massachuestts
    Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Troy (X2 X5), Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Pro-Find 35
    432 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Not so much about the resorts as it is getting through the island's Customs. I don't ever want to have my gear detained by Customs while I try to enjoy a vacation I had planned to do a lot of detecting. Some cruise ships will detain metal detecting gear while you travel with them. Times are changing!

All depends on the island you are going to. The British Commonwealth islands are about the same for the written law. Although not always enforced. I personally have given up trying to take a metal detector, full-size, hand held or a pinpoint to the British Commonwealth islands. They are all on the banned/restricted lists. I never had a problem until this year and have made many trips since the early 1980's. Turks & Cacos and Jamaica have gotten strict about the enforcement of their written law.

See the two below links.

Traveling to Jamaica? A MUST READ!

Traveling to Antigua or Barbuda? A MUST READ!
    Last edited by WaterWalker; Sep 28, 2018 at 10:54 AM.
    A2coins and ctdirtdigger like this.

Feb 2018
    18 times
    Wow! Did not expect that. Thanks for the info. Guess I’ll be leaving my detector at home.

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
    13577 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    Quote Originally Posted by WaterWalker View Post
    Not so much about the resorts as it is getting through the island's Customs. I don't ever want to have my gear detained by Customs while I try to enjoy a vacation I had planned to do a lot of detecting. Some cruise ships will detain metal detecting gear while you travel with them. Times are changing!

All depends on the island you are going to. The British Commonwealth islands are about the same for the written law. Although not always enforced. I personally have given up trying to take a metal detector, full-size, hand held or a pinpoint to the British Commonwealth islands. They are all on the banned/restricted lists. I never had a problem until this year and have made many trips since the early 1980's. Turks & Cacos and Jamaica have gotten strict about the enforcement of their written law.

See the two below links.

Im hoping that this winter I will have the time to compose a letter to send to Jamaican officials
    hoping to get a response from the right people - TNET has a lot of members - hoping to maybe get all
    to send a protest - hoping to get members from here whether they travel or not detect or not to support us
    and write an email once I find the right people to contact - will probably start with their board of tourism
    I think we are paying the price for the few lawbreakers that are stealing historical treasures - they will lose 100s of
    us "simple" Ther's for the acts of a few dicks
    Motto = "I try to hit where others cant or others wont "

us
    Jan 2013
    Alabama
    White's DFX White's Spectrum XLT, 2 Fisher CZ21's, 2 Tesoro Compadre's
    223 times
    I agree Casper and when you get ready and or locate contact persons I will gladly join in sending letters. I haven't been able to go on a vacation to one of the tourists areas and hunt yet but have been looking forward to gettting to go for a long time and to think I may never get to now totally chaps my buttocks!
    A2coins and rook3434 like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Rook

Nov 2013
    Mississippi
    XP Deus
    5318 times
    Welcome to Tnet from Mississippi. Keep us posted on what you find out. Thanks.
    A2coins likes this.
    When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    AT MAX
    10393 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Im not sure you could rent one when you get there.
    islamoradamark likes this.
    This is an addiction!!! There is no cure!!! And it only gets worse!!!!! KEEP PLUGGIN AWAY!!!!!!!!!!

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    AT MAX
    10393 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Welcome also can I go with ya lol
    This is an addiction!!! There is no cure!!! And it only gets worse!!!!! KEEP PLUGGIN AWAY!!!!!!!!!!

Feb 2017
    Santa Barbara,Ca
    Bounty Hunter w/Cors Fortune coil
    838 times
    Metal Detecting

See the two below links.

What about the US Virgin islands ?

us
    Jan 2007
    Cape Cod, Massachuestts
    Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Troy (X2 X5), Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Pro-Find 35
    432 times
    There is NOT ONE detector supplier in Jamaica. No rentals, No sales and no one answered local postings for help. I had several locals trying to help to no avail in finding a "loaner".

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
    13577 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    There is NOT ONE detector supplier in Jamaica. No rentals, No sales and no one answered local postings for help. I had several locals trying to help to no avail in finding a "loaner".
    I work with a couple of guys that have dual citizenship - one guy said he knew they were stirring things up
    I was wondering if I had one mailed to his house there if I would still get fined - arrested or it get confiscated
    if they saw me doing it - he was in the military police when he worked down there - so he said no one would mess with
    him - but me
    Motto = "I try to hit where others cant or others wont "

us
    "BIG DAVE"

Nov 2012
    Aberdeen, MD
    Fisher CZ 21, CZ20, CZ 7a Pro, White's Beach Hunter 300, Stealth 920xi
    751 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Traveling to Mexico in a few weeks. Will let everyone know how it goes down there. Was there back in June with no issues. We'll see...
    CASPER-2 likes this.

Feb 2007
    Bradenton, Fl
    ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
    745 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    USVI are ok to hunt just watch that you are not in a National Seashore area like Megan's Bay or St John. I"ve hunted Cozumel many times and it is ok there.
    Debby

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links