First beach detector advice

Honeyman

Apr 5, 2015
Cleveland OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will be spending winters on the Gulf coast of Florida starting this year. I need advice on picking a beach detector. My only previous experience is with a Tesoro Silver uMax. Never done salt water and don't know what to look for in a beach detector. Budget would be under $750. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Upvote 0

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds like the Equinox 600 to me.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Equinox 600 - JBR's Approved! :skullflag:

Attachments

• JBRippers.png
    JBRippers.png
    5 MB · Views: 118

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you prefer beep and dig detectors the Minelab Excalibur series are a great detector and can be found in your price range used.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
H

Honeyman

Apr 5, 2015
Cleveland OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, a lot of agreement on the Equinox 600. But why the 600 over say a Sea Hunter 2 or a Sand Shark. Just trying to understand the differences.

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, a lot of agreement on the Equinox 600. But why the 600 over say a Sea Hunter 2 or a Sand Shark. Just trying to understand the differences.

Think 600 has multiple frequencies

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes, Multifrequency makes it stable in salt water when you want discrimination. If you want to dig every staple, nail, nut, bolt, or other iron target at the beach, by all means, buy a Sand Shark or Sea Hunter. The added benefit of the Nox is that it's also an excellent land machine. It has more adjustments, a depth meter, and a display. You won't find that on those other two PI machines (nor do you need them they're a beep and dig machine). You can also go wireless headphones on land hunting with the Nox. If you buy the 800, it comes with wireless, along with a lot more adjustability. There are a lot more advantages using the Nox than I've mentioned.....easily replaceable coils, headphones, weight. etc.....just ask if you need more info to decide.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Also the light weight of the Equinox is hard to beat. Any Excal for 750 will usually need something. Plus the Excal goes silent after swinging over iron and then takes a bit to reset itself possibly missing good adjacent targets.

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ecxal or sov gt , nox 600 or 800

OP
OP
H

Honeyman

Apr 5, 2015
Cleveland OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been wrestling with this decision for a while now. Thanks for all the input. I had finally decided to go with a pi detector. I was just about to order a Sand Shark from One of our sponsers when I heard that Tesoro closed it's doors. Since their lifetime warranty was a big factor in my decision I will not be getting one.

What are your thoughts on the Garrett Sea Hunter? Does anyone have any experience with one?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been wrestling with this decision for a while now. Thanks for all the input. I had finally decided to go with a pi detector. I was just about to order a Sand Shark from One of our sponsers when I heard that Tesoro closed it's doors. Since their lifetime warranty was a big factor in my decision I will not be getting one.

What are your thoughts on the Garrett Sea Hunter? Does anyone have any experience with one?

Not a popular machine. Whites Dual Field would be a better choice if you MUST have a PI machine. Just a friendly reminder that I have my 8-month-old Equinox 600 up for sale in the Classifieds. :skullflag:

OP
OP
H

Honeyman

Apr 5, 2015
Cleveland OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry, Sorry to keep picking your brain, but why do you think it is not a popular detector? Also, I thought PI's didn't have descrimination, but in videos the Sea Hunter seems to?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Sea Hunter is heavy and unbalanced. It does NOT "discriminate," it "eliminates." This is one of the reasons I dislike the machine - it's hobbled from the get go. Less depth than the Sand Shark, or Dual Field. When you flip it into "Standard" or "Discrete" trash ELIMINATION you instantly lose an inch in depth, and are guaranteed to miss small gold rings.

Seriously, if you have to have a PI, and you don't, go with the Dual Field. I'm so sure you should get the Equinox that I'm willing to knock off another $25 on mine - but ONLY for you, because the machine will change your hobby life forever. Good luck no matter what you decide, but if you really want a machine that will work in saltwater and wet sand, then go effortlessly into farm fields, woods, parks, wherever, buy a new Equinox 600 where I bought mine! 3720-0001 | Minelab Equinox 600 | Fort Bedford Metal Detectors

OP
OP
H

Honeyman

Apr 5, 2015
Cleveland OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where's the tab for the classifieds? Cannot find it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread