Advice needed Saltwater Beaches with Garrett GTI 2500

DanWho

Feb 16, 2016
IOWA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 Garrett Infinium and
Whites Eagle II S (yes its older than some of the young'uns here)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm heading down to Florida and then the Bahamas for a few days each at the end of the month. Its been a while and I can't find my book on the 2500, are there some settings I will want to use and any special tips from guys that have some experience with the machine down on the beaches with the machine?

My GF has a Garrett ace 350 and if I remember correctly she will be limited to only dry sand with that machine unless someone has some tips for her too.

Thank you
Dan

PS. If I take the waterproof machine I will be tempted to try going into the water and I'm not up to swimming yet and would probably end up getting myself hurt. (GF says she will beat me like a redheaded stepchild if I so much as get my toes damp)

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GTI 2500 is really not a salt water detector, it will work but not work very well in the wet salt sand or water, it does have a salt mode but it still does not work very well on salt beaches. Above the high water line it will work well. You will want to turn your sensitivity down to try to help it in the wet salt sand, unfortunately turning down the sense also turns down the depth you get.

Neither one of them are waterproof, the coil is waterproof is all.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, bring your Infinium instead.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you wont have to swim in Bahamas -- waters are usually calm - hunt waist deep on in

OP
OP
D

DanWho

Feb 16, 2016
IOWA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I guess I'll roll the dice and take my chances with the infinium. I've just ordered a couple of sand scoops, didn't want to drag a couple of shovels with us down there. Now hopefully the weather will cooperate with us, last year we were going to go down but the day we were going to go down was the day the big hurricane hit so we delayed a year and so this year I can actually do lots more than just lay around and relax and recover.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WATER IS USUALLY super clear - bring a mask though and you can fan targets or scoop in the shallows
you will have a better chance of gold in the water - usually
untitledCC.png

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rings from my last 2 trips there
attachment.php
attachment.php

OP
OP
D

DanWho

Feb 16, 2016
IOWA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now your making me think that maybe I should miss the boat, totally by accident of course, when it comes time to leave the Bahamas. Not sure how the GF will handle me going into the water, unless its really smooth I know shes not in the mood to put up with me risking me getting hurt again, but I'm will to push things a little. I really am tired of being coddled.

Casper How many days were you in the Bahamas to get that load of rings, I'll only be there for 3 days?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread