A Persistant Problem When Detecting the Shoreline - Does This Happen to You Too?

cathexis

Sep 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings All,

I don't get to the shore often but I do have a Excal. II and love it when I can use it at the beach.
The last three trips (all around Coin Beach, DEL.) I had problems with feeling disoriented and even
dizzy at times when waves were breaking and receding as I tried to walk very close to the water.
Basically, I'm happily swinging my detector and focused down and just ahead and that's fine. But
when rushing waters break and roll back and forth across my field of view I can get really kinda
turned around, lose my track, and even veer off and away. Frustrating!

I'm kinda embarrassed to even bring it up that I'll get goofed on about it but it is a problem.
The waters around Rehoboth can be really subject to rip currents so just diving in is often NOT a
good choice. Shallow water wading means getting beat up by the breakers. I wanted to ask: Does
anyone else ever have this problem and what (if anything) can you do about it?

BTW, I don't have any kind of chronic inner ear thing going on. I can sorta see why it might be
happening but I'm not sure what I can do about it. It is never an issue on dry land/sands.

Any advice appreciated,

Andrew

Upvote 0

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What you are describing to me sounds like mild sea sickness. Try taking half a Dramamine tablet as directed before your next hunt and see if that helps. If that does not do it, I’d go see your doctor and get checked out just to be safe.

Best of luck!

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
My first thought was a form of sea sickness as redcobra8u said. See your physician to rule out other possibilities.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Same happen to me years ago when I hunted OC MD...just shallow surf. Almost like being disoriented, caused by the water rushing by and that's what your focused on... I think it's normal for someone asked me before if I experienced it also...have to look thru my videos..that was 2008 I think..

I was wrong..here it is..

Motion sickness is a condition in which a disagreement exists between visually perceived movement and the vestibular system's sense of movement. Depending on the cause, it can also be referred to as seasickness, car sickness, simulation sickness or airsickness.

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is why I focus on the beach babes....:laughing7: Strange though, their motions can often cause the same effect?
But seriously, I experienced this when I first moved to Florida but after a few hunts I adjusted it and no longer had the problem. But for a time I felt like I could even fall down.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I would say it’s normal. It happens to me. When you first get in the water the motion of the water plays with your mind like the ground is moving causing your brain to react to the motion. Once you’re in the water a while or the more you water hunt you get used to the motion and your balance

OP
OP
C

cathexis

Sep 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to hear I'm not alone with this and glad I asked. I'd read up on Dramamine 1st before putting it in my system but I see the point.
Focusing on a more distant point might help with the neurological issues and I certainly say Yes! to more time swinging on the beach!

Thanks very much folks,
Andrew

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Andrew....... spend much time on a boat? I think most of us have that moment when watching the water..... where we get that elevator feeling.

OP
OP
C

cathexis

Sep 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"elevator feeling." Good point. Closest I usually get to a boat is the S.S. Minnow on TV.
Would like one someday. I tried the scuba dive tour on Bermuda once and could NOT
clear my inner ear no matter what. The guy said some people never can. Major bummer
at the time. We were on the twin wreck that was part of the plot for the movie, "The Deep."

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to hear I'm not alone with this and glad I asked. I'd read up on Dramamine 1st before putting it in my system but I see the point.
Focusing on a more distant point might help with the neurological issues and I certainly say Yes! to more time swinging on the beach!

Thanks very much folks,
Andrew

Happens to me as well, So I just look up from the water at the horizon and everything stops moving

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
Your eyes are focusing too much on the water. The in & out of waves lapping on the beach, can give you a mile form of motion sickness. Don't stare down, glance up often, focusing on distant objects, or across the sea.

Mr. B

Mar 23, 2017
SW Fla.
Detector(s) used
2-Exal 2s Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are experiencing these dizzy spells, go to a health food store and buy a bottle of Ginger Tabs, they work wonders and you will not get sleepy.

FloridaSon

Sep 29, 2018
Between Half Reale Beach and Nuestra Seflora de La
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
An alternative to dramamine which makes you sleepy (and me grouchy) is ginger tea. Although i am not bothered the same as you I fought with seasickness most of my life, tried everything. Finally discovered instant ginger tea with honey by a Chinese company (PM for name so i don't break the rules). It has to be the strong stuff in the green box, individual envelopes. Almost burns when you drink it due to the high level of ginger. Also stop and look at the horizon once in a while. One cup hot or cold about 30 minutes before you need it lasts about 4-5 hours. Try it a couple times before giving up. Good luck.

man_in_black

Nov 2, 2013
Pensacola
Detector(s) used
Fisher F44
Bounty Hunter QuickSilver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An alternative to dramamine which makes you sleepy (and me grouchy) is ginger tea. Although i am not bothered the same as you I fought with seasickness most of my life, tried everything. Finally discovered instant ginger tea with honey by a Chinese company (PM for name so i don't break the rules). It has to be the strong stuff in the green box, individual envelopes. Almost burns when you drink it due to the high level of ginger. Also stop and look at the horizon once in a while. One cup hot or cold about 30 minutes before you need it lasts about 4-5 hours. Try it a couple times before giving up. Good luck.

+1 on the ginger tea. You can also find ginger gum (sea band brand, I think at CVS or Walgreens). Does the trick.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep ginger candy on the boat in case guests experience this. And if they don't, then we have candy...

Madmox

Mar 26, 2014
Andrew....... spend much time on a boat? I think most of us have that moment when watching the water..... where we get that elevator feeling.
Good way to phrase it. The physiological reason those spins happen is because essentially what your eyes are seeing does not mesh with what the fluid in your ears is telling your brain.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread