Slippery Shaft.........................(Sand scoop shaft you perv haha) - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Slippery Shaft.........................(Sand scoop shaft you perv haha)

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    manaloneblog.wordpress.com

Jun 2010
    Wherever there be treasure!
    An older blue Excal with connector, remote, Skullie headphones, and various coils. Got rid of the rest of my machines.
    8826 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Dechert360 View Post
    I've recently transitioned from wet sand to shallow water and surf hunting and discovered a new problem. I have a Stealth 720i with a wooden handle from Lowes that I covered with rattle can clear coat. The scoop/wooden shaft is an absolute dream on the wet sand but in the water when my hands are wet, it's slippery...very slippery.

Has anyone wrapped their shaft with a grip tape or similar material?
    Try a pair of good kayakers gloves.....that's what use, prevents slipping and blisters.
    "Treasure is wherever it can be found."

us
    UABFWSS

Feb 2010
    Indiana/Michigan border
    ~Minelab Equinox 800's, Quest Scuba Detector, Predator Tools , XtremeScoops, Stealth Scoops, Stavr Scoops, Quest Scoopal
    328 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Have since started slicing the re-grips in half, with a razor, very carefully, it's a lil trickier to install sometimes, as to not have an accidental collapse, but if one partially closes, you can still just splash some water on and slide in place. Further placement adjusting can somewhat easily be done using an air compressor blow nozzle with higher pressure, like removing hand grips from handle bars/etc, again adding water if needed. I like placing the halves now, one low, over the scoop tube end, one about 2/3's up from scoop (I don't use handles) and one up top about an inch shy of end. OH, for who asked, i just use duck brand neon duct tape for the yellow, or sometimes orange now, on coil/etc.

us
    Feb 2014
    Ohio and Florida
    CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils, Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 w 11" and 15" coils, Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35, Vibra-Tector 730 w 4" coil
    1865 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I went through 4 or 5 wood handles on my various scoops, including 2 Stealth 920i, over the last 6-7 yrs; breaking them (and sometimes the scoop) in short order and eventually settled on a carbon-fiber handle and so far my first and only one has lasted 4 yrs in the rocky shores...I wish I could say the same for the scoops...
    Now that Wife is happy with large diamond ring found last year, I search for happiness and find it every time I go metal detecting.

us
    Sep 2012
    STATEN ISLAND NY
    ONLY MINELABS, and now one Detector Pro Underwater. Macro Multi Kruzer
    1250 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Look these up, I think they have a lifetime warranty, I have one of each and reuse them as I wear out the wooden handle. They fit a range of shaft diameters.
    Raptor Pull Handle
    RAPTOR PULL HANDLE

Raptor Guide Handle
    RAPTOR GUIDE HANDLE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links