Slippery Shaft.........................(Sand scoop shaft you perv haha)

Dechert360

Feb 1, 2018
Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I've recently transitioned from wet sand to shallow water and surf hunting and discovered a new problem. I have a Stealth 720i with a wooden handle from Lowes that I covered with rattle can clear coat. The scoop/wooden shaft is an absolute dream on the wet sand but in the water when my hands are wet, it's slippery...very slippery.

Has anyone wrapped their shaft with a grip tape or similar material?

Upvote 0

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Grip tape would work...

I always had issues with the new grips they use on the handles for the water here is very murky with no vis.... Most just give you a line or mark to look at so you end up looking for the mark to get it aligned forward every time you start to dig a target. With this grip you can feel the way the handle is facing and it gives you grip. These work great.......... Just use low heat (if needed) on it before installing, it will stretch's, and I also put a small screw in it to keep it aligned.

OBN-0006.jpg
20181013_105216.jpg 20181013_110455.jpg

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
One way to use 'light heat' is to put grip into boiling water for a few minutes. This will soften it up to stretch over wood for tight grip.

zigzag

Sep 17, 2011
ft laud, fl
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 2 xcal II 1000's, 1 has OBN's remote PP & peltor HP's, 2 aquasounds, dual field, sunspot 920i hybrid, 720i, 3 rtg scoops, Howie scoop
Primary Interest:
I've recently transitioned from wet sand to shallow water and surf hunting and discovered a new problem. I have a Stealth 720i with a wooden handle from Lowes that I covered with rattle can clear coat. The scoop/wooden shaft is an absolute dream on the wet sand but in the water when my hands are wet, it's slippery...very slippery.

Go on Ebay and look up "Re-Grip PN44-7". It's a handle grip for tools that's about 8" long. It sells for about $13. I use them on my carbon fiber shafts and they work real good. I would send a pic but am having a problem doing it. Ed

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ONLY MINELABS, and now one Detector Pro Underwater.
Primary Interest:
Go on Ebay and look up "Re-Grip PN44-7". It's a handle grip for tools that's about 8" long. It sells for about $13. I use them on my carbon fiber shafts and they work real good. I would send a pic but am having a problem doing it. Ed

Re-Grip 100%.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is regrip, we used them years ago on the diablo scoops, no slip for sure. for deep water you have to mark them..

20181013_141514.jpg

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you just need some non-skid stuff to add to the shaft, I've used the peal and stick bathtub strips with great success. If you carry your scoop over your shoulder, it's pretty hard on T-shirts however! :laughing7: I also add a ProHandle to mine to make lifting a scoop full of wet sand easier. It will also keep your scoop facing the right way without having to fumble with it.

Vhoov

May 9, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro, Pro pointer AT,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always wrap your shaft🤣

OP
OP
Dechert360

Dechert360

Feb 1, 2018
Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Thank you all for the suggestions. I’m going to order the re-grip, actually I’ll probably order a couple and place them on different parts of the shaft like rc2125 did. :icon_thumright:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i just wear gloves that have rubber dipped palms - they grip great plus give some hand protection

NowandThenTreasures

Jul 23, 2014
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen some use electric heat shrink tube. Max uses it i believe. I have a cut off fiberglass shovel handle .... which of course once you cut the shovel off has the wooden dowel in it...... never had to change one or have one break on me. Woods tricky..... just like a bat.... if the grains the wrong way also people tend to dig to much material at once with that large scoop. Those handles can also come with rubber in the middle and end .. which completely seals them.

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dechert360. Hi nice post,,the scoop I have I think it’s a beach brute ,,it is very slippery also,I’m going to try some of these tips

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Try a pair of good kayakers gloves.....that's what use, prevents slipping and blisters.

rc2125

Feb 15, 2010
Indiana/Michigan border
Detector(s) used
~ XP Deus II & Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have since started slicing the re-grips in half, with a razor, very carefully, it's a lil trickier to install sometimes, as to not have an accidental collapse, but if one partially closes, you can still just splash some water on and slide in place. Further placement adjusting can somewhat easily be done using an air compressor blow nozzle with higher pressure, like removing hand grips from handle bars/etc, again adding water if needed. I like placing the halves now, one low, over the scoop tube end, one about 2/3's up from scoop (I don't use handles) and one up top about an inch shy of end. OH, for who asked, i just use duck brand neon duct tape for the yellow, or sometimes orange now, on coil/etc.

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
I went through 4 or 5 wood handles on my various scoops, including 2 Stealth 920i, over the last 6-7 yrs; breaking them (and sometimes the scoop) in short order and eventually settled on a carbon-fiber handle and so far my first and only one has lasted 4 yrs in the rocky shores...I wish I could say the same for the scoops...

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ONLY MINELABS, and now one Detector Pro Underwater.
Primary Interest:
Look these up, I think they have a lifetime warranty, I have one of each and reuse them as I wear out the wooden handle. They fit a range of shaft diameters.
Raptor Pull Handle
RAPTOR PULL HANDLE

Raptor Guide Handle
RAPTOR GUIDE HANDLE

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread