Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woo hooo !! I got one !! Long summer of seaweed covered beaches, but I finally saw some sand and was able to get a small Cobb on thursday. 20181018_113835.jpg
20181018_113822.jpg
20181018_113831.jpg
Aaaaahhhhhhhhh !!!! A treasure cobb is in my hand. 20181018_113900.jpg
20181018_113950.jpg
Pretty much just a cookie, heavily encased in sulfide. Couldn't see much detail at all !! 20181018_164808.jpg
20181018_164757.jpg
20181018_172345.jpg
After some cleaning more detail emerged, and although this little 2 reale (I think) is pretty tore up from corrosion it's still a beautiful little piece of king phillip the fifths treasure. 20181020_215108.jpg this 4.6 gram beauty came from a beach where the survivors from the 1733 Spanish fleet disaster came ashore and formed a survivor/salvage camp. 20181020_220259.jpg
Turned out that there was a bold little roaring lion, Jerusalem cross, and some of the florenzada and castles on one side, and some of the shield is visible on the other side. Still got some cleaning to go but almost there. Stubborn sulfide are hiding a bit of detail still. Here's a shot of the Cobb with some other finds from the summer 20181021_094030.jpg
The small decorative cross came from the 1733 site along with the musket balls, bottom of the bottle, coral encrusted Spanish olive jar shard, and the iron spike. Got those earlier this summer. The smooth beach worn olive jar shards, the small ballast stones, the small blue kngxi pottery shard, and the piece of conglomerate all came from the 1715 fleet on the treasure coast. I got that stuff last weekend hunting up there. I got a bunch of sea glass and shells up there too, and probably only just missed the coins as conditions went from good to bad right in front of me as I hunted. 20181021_093933.jpg
20181015_094627.jpg
Even found sharks teeth and an awesome large murex shell !! 20181015_094809.jpg woohoo hoooo!! The seasons are changing and there's treasure on those beaches !!!
Thanks for looking and happy hunting !!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I'm back to the conclusion that my treasure rings are nothing more than cheap 1970s hippie rings. How ever they got there I'll never no, but can't find any like that from the time period. Did find several close matches from the 70s. My treasure infected mind wanted to believe so bad !! Oh well I apologize for my ignorance. I'm taking them out of my Spanish collection, and throwing them in the junk jewlrey box. Must have been some hippies camping right on top of my cobb spot. Little embarrassing to say the least. Oooooops !!!

FloridaSon

Sep 29, 2018
Between Half Reale Beach and Nuestra Seflora de La
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Great work, surprised those make their way onshore inside the reef. They are pretty light aren't they? Makes me wonder on our steeper beaches if they work up higher into the dry sand after storms. What do you think? Thx.

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These coins are coming down from the dune when the king tides and weather erode the beach. Many of the wrecks are relatively close to shore here. The survivors came ashore in clusters here and there up and down the keys and formed camps. This is one of those survivor/salvage camp spots. The shoreline and beaches here in the keys are very different from the beaches of the 1715 fleet. When the tide is very low here the beach may dry for a 1/4 mile out to sea, and then return on a strong spring or king tide and over wash the beach and flood streets and homes. These recent coins were found about 6 inches down with just a light layer of sand over course shell layer with some marl or clay. Very hard to dig. At the bottom of this layer was a thin layer of sand and shell cemented together and resembling peanut brittle. This is a great sign, and when the lighter sand thins over this layer the coins are found here stuck and unable to sink any further. If they make it through this layer they will eventually settle on coral rock bottom here. I've found some deep down in potholes in the rock bottom too.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
sand and shell cemented together and resembling peanut brittle. This is a great sign,
I love hearing that crunch, tells me treasure is in the mix. But this is only at a few selected beach's here, others have there little secret matrix combo's to watch for.

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya I get excited when I here it too......makes my heart pitter patter !!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a Banner I would be so pissed if I was one of those posters who found a fake cobb Ive seen a few this month . Great job my friend

Deesherman

Aug 23, 2018
Palm Bay,Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett sea hunter 11
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to money beach yesterday but the slim and dead sea weed were so thick could not swing the MD. tried Annes beach found a few pennies that's it. Any better areas you can suggest.
Thanks

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to money beach yesterday but the slim and dead sea weed were so thick could not swing the MD. tried Annes beach found a few pennies that's it. Any better areas you can suggest.
Thanks
Long key park had 2 salvage camps one on each end. Coins have been found at the south end of long key close to and under the bridge. Coins have been found at conch key, little conch, grassy key, channel key, and at Sawyer key by the boy scout camp. Dont forget bahia Honda too. By far the richest hunting is at key west, both modern and old. Think outside the box down here, most spots are hard to get to and require a boat or at the least a kyak. Once you know where to start looking youll be able to get the permissions needed to access the better spots. Both the spanish and fresh drops can happen at any moment on any shoreline down here you just never know. It's not your typical beach hunting though, it can be rough terrain and not to much sandy beaches.

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20181028_172531.jpg keep the faith and dont give up. I went most of the season without much and then I had a three day stretch of perfect conditions......this was my three day total at this spot. 3 cobbs in three days. A cobb a day definatly keeps the doctor away. LOL !!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Missed this thread Bart... stellar man... well done and then some.

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you my brother from another mother !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread