Hey! I'm working here!

sws33

Mar 15, 2013
huntington beach ca
Detector(s) used
white's 5900 di pro, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1280, Garrett Infinium LS, Teknetics T2 SE and Teknetics Omega 8000, Makro Multi Kruzer, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II and Fisher CZ21, White's TDI Beach Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I'm at the beach before Sun up the other day working the towel line at a surfing contest. As the sun comes up I noticed there are at least two other guys out detecting. A bit later, I see an 80 something year old guy swinging some type of White's metal detector coming in quick from my right hand side. Next thing I know, he cuts me off and starts working the towel line I have been working all morning, going in the same direction I am. Now, I understand I don't own the beach and he is free to detect anywhere he likes, but come on, really? You are going to jump in front of me by only a few feet and start working the same line? Wow. Just wow.

I've got to be honest, this is probably the first time I've ever been mad while detecting at an another detectorists for any reason.

Are there people out there that actually think this is okay? The whole cutting somebody off and taking their line thing I mean?

Upvote 0

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yea I've been cut off before. After a Nor'easter we were harvesting the beach like crazy. I had just started and had no idea what my Excal was telling me but I knew to go slow and be patient. When I turned on the machine it was screaming and I thought it was broken. It turned out I had put it down on a silver ring when I turned it on! Talk about the stuff dreams are made of.
I had only been out a half hour when two guys practically ran by me and when they got out in front of me they slowed a bit and started digging. Right then I had a nice signal that was a 10 g white gold men's ring. I let out a big whoop and did my gold dance which got their attention. They circled back to see what I had and I was happy to show them my gold and the hole was in one of the guys foot prints. The guy kept saying, "You just found that! Right there!?" They did get the better of me since the beach petered down to nothing and was banging against the cut at the foot of the dunes. I was forced into the water at that point and was out of beach. I did pay off my Excal that first day at the beach though with three gold rings, seven silver rings and 180 coins. I even had a silver quarter. I wish I had known what the machine was telling me so I could have focused on the better signals but luck was on my side.
Another guy recently ran by me the same way swinging an AT pro about a foot off the ground and I just started laughing. I had to ask " Did you find anything?" He showed me a beautiful ruby ring. That shut me up but I was still pulling plenty of targets out of his wake. The luck factor of the hobby just blows me away.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always make it a point to talk to the other guys and gals if only for a moment. It makes me upset if someone doesn't even have the courtesy to acknowledge you.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
amazing hobby for sure and addicting

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All else being equal, I prefer to be out alone, or with a partner, but if there are other hunters out there, some friendliness and a brief discussion, even if I learn nothing by it, adds to the experience. Its similar to fishing. I think common courtesy is still the rule in most places, but the exception is indeed irritating and memorable.

At the grocery store, I always look behind me and offer the person behind me to cut in front of me when they have only a few items. Often, it is an employee waiting to check out a single bottle of soda. Why not do some little thing to help make someone's day a little brighter? It feels good to do it when its someone just buying flowers and I smile and imagine it is for some thoughtful celebration of an important event in their own life.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I understand the frustration one feels when someone “shoulder hops” you.
Not cool in surfing. Not cool when detecting.

stoneshirt

May 3, 2003
Santa Marta de Magdalena,Colombia
I try to respect other people’s lane of hunt and I expect them to do the same. If it is someone who I haven’t seen before I just hurl derogatory insults at them. If it is someone who has a history of doing it.... I stepped on a guys coil one time and told him why. It worked!
I live here in Santa Marta,Colombia...5Yrs..haven't seen any One with a Detector.I like it.

stoneshirt

May 3, 2003
Santa Marta de Magdalena,Colombia
I understand the frustration one feels when someone “shoulder hops” you.
Not cool in surfing. Not cool when detecting.
Ha.that's right.love your VW Bus.When I surfed in Santa Cruz(born and raised there) my friend Jimmy phillips was One of the first to perfect the "Flying Kickout" deadly accurate,..And that was when Boards carried a little Weight.My first board was Balsa wood.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread