Hey! I'm working here!

sws33

Mar 15, 2013
huntington beach ca
Detector(s) used
white's 5900 di pro, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1280, Garrett Infinium LS, Teknetics T2 SE and Teknetics Omega 8000, Makro Multi Kruzer, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II and Fisher CZ21, White's TDI Beach Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I'm at the beach before Sun up the other day working the towel line at a surfing contest. As the sun comes up I noticed there are at least two other guys out detecting. A bit later, I see an 80 something year old guy swinging some type of White's metal detector coming in quick from my right hand side. Next thing I know, he cuts me off and starts working the towel line I have been working all morning, going in the same direction I am. Now, I understand I don't own the beach and he is free to detect anywhere he likes, but come on, really? You are going to jump in front of me by only a few feet and start working the same line? Wow. Just wow.

I've got to be honest, this is probably the first time I've ever been mad while detecting at an another detectorists for any reason.

Are there people out there that actually think this is okay? The whole cutting somebody off and taking their line thing I mean?

Upvote 0

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That must have been the same guy that did that same thing to me a few years ago on a July 5th morning there at Hunt Bch. He could see the line I was working at the water line, stepped right in front of me and about 10 feet later hit a gold ring. p*****d me off. NO, that is NOT acceptable behavior.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haven't you been to the grocery store lately, seems nobody cares about anybody but themselves nowdays and importing rude from elsewhere.

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
It has happened to me twice that I remember:

First time was on Virginia Beach. The guy that I did not know, pick up a Rolex right in front of me. I have never been back to the beach since then, the early 1980's. Some how I do not remember being upset with him for finding the watch, it was a beauty and he did let me hold it. I have yet to find a real Rolex. I keep searching, maybe some day.

Second time in fresh water during the mid 1990's I moved over and kept on detecting. No more than 20 feet later I found my best ever necklace, a 24K, two ounce beautiful piece that I still wear today.

Which ever way, "luck" as it may be, is part of our hobby, enjoy it. Every find by each of us is "special" something someone else did not find. There is plenty of items yet to be found, go get one.

bmcouni3

Tenderfoot
Oct 7, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happen to me last summer on Tybee beach. I was working a cut where I dug a silver ring. Out of nowhere some lady walks right in front of me and starts swinging. Pissed me off at first until I saw she didn't have the proper machine for the wet sand and she did the pendulum swing. She didn't dig anything in front of me. I was plucking targets behind her. Some folks have no courtesy or common sense not sure which one it is sometimes.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could walk around them and then jump in front of them to see what happens, but you hate to stoop to doing what they did. Might be interesting to see if they say anything though...

bklein

Feb 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haven't you been to the grocery store lately, seems nobody cares about anybody but themselves nowdays and importing rude from elsewhere.
Yeah , I just had this happen. I’m like 3rd in line for groceries and they have lots of items compared to my two. A new checker arrives and says “ok next in line..” The guy next in line doesnt move so I move towards the new cashier but wait for the other side’s customer that DID decide to move over. She sees I have two items and says I can go first. Then the guy that was in front of me shows up and says something like “sir I was in front of you, didn’t you see me?” So he goes in front of both of us, late to the game. I’m still residually pissed. Why did the ahole have to piss off me and probably the lady when he was next anyway.
In your case the guy may be one of those that just walks a straight line. He’s in his mode oblivious to others. If he doesnt say much of anything to you he’s one of those on a mission - just let him be. Any attempt at making things right will leave both of you worse off.

OP
OP
sws33

sws33

Mar 15, 2013
huntington beach ca
Detector(s) used
white's 5900 di pro, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1280, Garrett Infinium LS, Teknetics T2 SE and Teknetics Omega 8000, Makro Multi Kruzer, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II and Fisher CZ21, White's TDI Beach Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That old dude was definitely on a mission. And I'm sure he probably was oblivious to everybody but me has he came at me on a diagonal from the parking area straight across the beach in a straight line to get in front of me and then work the line I was on, no doubt at all was intentional in my mind. you know it wasn't that long ago my mother was pounding into my head do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Now the saying I think has changed too, "me first screw everybody else."

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
A younger me would have wanted to run up and either trip him ,or drop him from behind with a boot to the back of the knee.
Cutting ahead of him would be fair turn about ,but I'd probably just let him go today after shouting a couple insults ....

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Luckily I don't have to deal with this stuff, but I see no reason just to walk around him and cut in front of him. You said he was just a few feet away when he cut in front of you so I'm sure he could not hear much, for your running a Sea Hunter PI if I remember correct.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive got a local guy who likes to wave to you ...... then step in front of you. He seems oblivious...... i just step a foot or so to the right and keep on going just like i do when hunting behind my hunting buddy. Lot of water and beach no need to let it affect your day because even if you point it out .... most dont care.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wouldn’t cut off anyone detecting in front of me, that’s bad form... not a good look for a 47 year old.
But when I’m 80? .... hell yeah, what are you gonna do about it sonnyboy?

DJWEHAGE

Nov 30, 2012
Aberdeen, MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 21, CZ20, CZ 7a Pro, Equinox 800, Stealth 920xi
Primary Interest:
Ive got a local guy who likes to wave to you ...... then step in front of you. He seems oblivious...... i just step a foot or so to the right and keep on going just like i do when hunting behind my hunting buddy. Lot of water and beach no need to let it affect your day because even if you point it out .... most dont care.

Exactly! If I pass someone hunting down the beach, I try to stay out of their line. It's obvious when you're following someone the lane they're working. I'll cross it, but definitely try to stay out of it. Usually working different speeds anyway, so rarely an issue. That being said, if someone comes out and sets up directly next to me when Im out wading, we're gonna have an issue...

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I try to respect other people’s lane of hunt and I expect them to do the same. If it is someone who I haven’t seen before I just hurl derogatory insults at them. If it is someone who has a history of doing it.... I stepped on a guys coil one time and told him why. It worked!

wildcarrot

Oct 5, 2013
SoCal
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
old used white's surfmaster PI, Dual Field, DFX, Minelab GM 1000 and Nox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeez the guy is "Eighty Something"...give him a break.

That has happened to me a few times and I just move on.
There's plenty of beach out there :)

Things could be worse. I was filling some guys holes last week while I'm trying to find pirate treasure:dontknow:

PI PETE

Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Excal_1000 / Whites VX3 / Shadow 2-Troy / & Infinium L-S/Garrett / AT GOLD
Primary Interest:
Sad he’s in it for the motivation of profit instead of comradery amongst like minded folks. Never too late to teach an old dog a new trick.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeez the guy is "Eighty Something"...give him a break.

That has happened to me a few times and I just move on.
There's plenty of beach out there :)

Things could be worse. I was filling some guys holes last week while I'm trying to find pirate treasure:dontknow:
Just because he is 80 doesn't mean he's senile and lost the grasp of Basic Common Courtesy. He was probably mad because you were in his prior hot spot

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Well not much you can do; these days rude and unethical is the fashion.

But you could have at least followed him home, little checking around for his name. Then if he is married, start sending flowers with thank you notes fr the great time. Do it on the days he is not home, send it to his work.

Nothing wrong with treating folks how they want to be treated.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread