TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello Fellow Tnetters!
Hope you all had an enjoyable weekend. Got together yesterday with another fellow Tnetter and had a nice short hunt at the area where I found the 1/2 Reale a few weeks back. Came away with (2) silver Rosies (a 61' and a 57') and an old looking copper coin with Chinese characters. Also found an additional copper coin that matches the dimensions of the Chinese coin but unfortunately has been weathered to the point where it is unidentifiable. My hunting partner for the day came away with a nice Merc and buffalo nickel.

Would appreciate any help on identifying the Chinese coin, went through my catalog of World Coins 1900 onward and the closest I can find are coins dating back around 1901-1905..but they are not an exact match to what I found. Is is larger than a quarter, close to half dollar size. Did not get a chance to weigh the coin, only ran some water over the coin because attempting any further cleaning could remove the patina which would remove the identifying marks on the coin. Thank you all for looking!

11-12-18-1.jpg

11-12-18-3.jpg

What I believe to be the obverse:

11-12-18-2.jpg

What I believe to be the reverse:

11-12-18-4.jpg

Upvote 0

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds for a short hunt. Congrats! Sorry I can’t help with the ID I’ve never seen a coin anywhere like that one but I’m sure someone here will ID it soon.

Raider19962

Mar 4, 2018
Delaware, The First State
Detector(s) used
White's, Technetics, Fisher M, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The lower one is what I've heard called a "Dragon" dollar, although I think the actual value would be "10 Cash", or something close to that. Around 1900-1920 is the correct date range. I think the symbols indicate value and the province it comes from. They are difficult to nail down because there are a lot of provinces and the symbols are very similar. If you post these pictures on the Numista website, you can probably get an ID in no time as well. Looks like Hupeh Province, 1900-1906 to me. Notice the rosette in the center of one side and the orb in the center of the other.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TwoYewts

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The lower one is what I've heard called a "Dragon" dollar, although I think the actual value would be "10 Cash", or something close to that. Around 1900-1920 is the correct date range. I think the symbols indicate value and the province it comes from. They are difficult to nail down because there are a lot of provinces and the symbols are very similar. If you post these pictures on the Numista website, you can probably get an ID in no time as well.

Thank you for the info Raider!

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Nice finds.Congrats

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey, you did good!
Here is a link to research your coin. I've used it three times, upon recovery of these fascinating coins.
Chinese Coins

OP
OP
TwoYewts

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey, you did good!
Here is a link to research your coin. I've used it three times, upon recovery of these fascinating coins.
Chinese Coins

Thank you! From the link you provided, the obverse looks very much like the coin pictured at the bottom ( machine-made tong ban (铜 版) coin struck during the reign of Emperor De Zong 1902-1905.) The reverse is the only thing that seems off, on the coin I found there appears to be a circle in the middle while the coin pictured has more like a "sun" symbol. But I think its enough to at least date it back to that time period. Thanks again!

Last edited:
OP
OP
TwoYewts

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Update:
I believe I have identified it...not as old as I first thought. I believe it is a TEN CASH coin (minted up until 1948):
Obverse
old_chinese_ancient_copper_coin_collecting_hobby_diameter30mm_1_lgw.jpg

Reverse
old_chinese_ancient_copper_coin_collecting_hobby_diameter30mm_2_lgw.jpg

OP
OP
TwoYewts

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
New Update:

I stand corrected. It has been brought to my attention that the coin is most likely a 1906, China, Chekiang Province 10 Cash coin here are the pics:

tencash1.JPG

tencash2.JPG

I'm pretty sure that it is a match. Thank you everyone for your input!

-TwoYewts

claire

Nov 24, 2008
long island ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm V, MX 5, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BINGO!!! I can’t believe you were able to ID that coin! That’s awesome. Thanks for letting me join you and sharing your hot spot ��

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great ID whenever I find a Chinese coin I think I have an ancient coin well hope anyway!!!!! Good find

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread