Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Whites TDI Beach Hunter.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    au
    Mar 2010
    Perth
    Current detectors; Excalibur II > TDI BeachHunter > GPX4500
    65 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Very impressive machine....been using mine for about 2 months now.

1. Very deep with the after market 14.4V battery pack. About 2" - 3" extra depth on typical ring/coin sized targets compared to the stock battery.
    2. Very smooth ( and deeper) threshold with GB OFF......becomes a single tone machine with GB OFF but the advantage is obvious.
    3. With GB ON then you do get the two tone audio but the GAIN needs to be dropped back a bit otherwise the Threshold is a bit erratic.
    4. Surprisingly smooth even at 10uS and with GAIN at about the 9 o'clock position but GB needs to be OFF for this extra performance and smooth running.
    5. It is the deepest beach machine that I have ever used personally and just edges out the famous Deepstar which I tested/used many years ago.
    6. The smooth threshold is NOT artificially quietened down with loss of sensitivity.......quite the opposite. GB Off lets you hear those microscopic changes in threshold.
    7. If running with GB ON....be careful as the sensitivity on some gold targets is diminished depending on the GB setting.

Tony

PS....Just thought I'd add this last tip from my thread further down the page.....

Try running the Threshold a fraction below the "solid" audio level, effectively just into the quiet zone. You will know this position because the Threshold pot will feel like it's not physically moving at all but you will hear the audio just "drop off" into this "power zone".....a bit hard to explain until you try it out yourself. The machine is kind of "super tuned".....and then adjust the Volume upwards.
    Last edited by hookahforgold; Nov 21, 2018 at 09:29 PM.
    Bill G, Jim in MA, Hawks88 and 1 others like this.

Jan 2006
    217 times
    Quote Originally Posted by hookahforgold View Post

1. Very deep with the after market 14.4V battery pack. About 2" - 3" extra depth on typical ring/coin sized targets compared to the stock battery.
    2. Very smooth ( and deeper) threshold with GB OFF......becomes a single tone machine with GB OFF but the advantage is obvious.
    3. With GB ON then you do get the two tone audio but the GAIN needs to be dropped back a bit otherwise the Threshold is a bit erratic.
    4. Surprisingly smooth even at 10uS and with GAIN at about the 9 o'clock position but GB needs to be OFF for this extra performance and smooth running.
    5. It is the deepest beach machine that I have ever used personally and just edges out the famous Deepstar which I tested/used many years ago.
    6. The smooth threshold is NOT artificially quietened down with loss of sensitivity.......quite the opposite. GB Off lets you hear those microscopic changes in threshold.
    7. If running with GB ON....be careful as the sensitivity on some gold targets is diminished depending on the GB setting.

Tony

Tony,

I just got my TDI Beach Hunter in today and want to thank you for the tips. Earlier today I did some test in the back yard on some coins. It was just air testing but what you just mentioned about the GB being on and off matched up to what I was seeing in my air testing. It's good to know the GB thing is performing simular on other TDI Beach Hunter detectors and may be a norm with this detector.

I still got to get mine to the beach and look forward to learning the detector.

Again thanks for the performance tips on how to run the detector.

All The Best,
    Bill G
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3281.JPG 
Views:	150 
Size:	2.53 MB 
ID:	1653758   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3282.JPG 
Views:	117 
Size:	2.58 MB 
ID:	1653759   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3278.JPG 
Views:	135 
Size:	2.25 MB 
ID:	1653760  
    Last edited by Bill G; Nov 20, 2018 at 11:48 PM.
    Jim in MA, Hawks88 and OBN like this.
    Every find is a good find, some are just Great........

us
    Apr 2011
    Excal with Wot, Infinium LS , CZ7a PRO
    94 times
    Quote Originally Posted by hookahforgold View Post

Tony

HOW DID YOU SET UP THE 14.8 VOLT BATTERY?
    THIS IS MINE.I CUT THE TRAY SO 1/2 THE TRAY AND BATTERY SLIDE IN.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B TDI.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	1653926  

Charter Member
    au
    Mar 2010
    Perth
    65 times
    Glad to have helped out a bit......you will need to do some stretching exercises before digging with this monster !

Quote Originally Posted by Bill G View Post
    Tony,

I just got my TDI Beach Hunter in today and want to thank you for the tips. Earlier today I did some test in the back yard on some coins. It was just air testing but what you just mentioned about the GB being on and off matched up to what I was seeing in my air testing. It's good to know the GB thing is performing simular on other TDI Beach Hunter detectors and may be a norm with this detector.

I still got to get mine to the beach and look forward to learning the detector.

Again thanks for the performance tips on how to run the detector.

All The Best,
    Bill G
    Bill G and Jim in MA like this.

Charter Member
    au
    Mar 2010
    Perth
    65 times
    I'm not sure if I am allowed to post external links but I (and a few others) have posted extensive information on our TDIBH battery setups. Lots of details and pictures.
    Have a look at the White's section within DetectorProspector.

HH,

Quote Originally Posted by Jim in MA View Post
    HOW DID YOU SET UP THE 14.8 VOLT BATTERY?
    THIS IS MINE.I CUT THE TRAY SO 1/2 THE TRAY AND BATTERY SLIDE IN.
    Jim in MA likes this.

Charter Member
    au
    Mar 2010
    Perth
    65 times
    Here's another tip......keep the Threshold really low. If it's noisy from wind and waves and you are having problems hearing then still keep the Threshold low but turn the Volume up.
    The TDIBH in GB OFF will let you hear those "ghost" changes in Threshold but not if the Threshold is turned up too much.

Tony

PS........Try running the Threshold a fraction below the "solid" audio level, effectively just into the quiet zone. You will know this position because the Threshold pot will feel like it's not physically moving at all but you will hear the audio just "drop off" into this "power zone".....a bit hard to explain until you try it out yourself. The machine is kind of "super tuned".....and then adjust the Volume upwards.
    Last edited by hookahforgold; Nov 21, 2018 at 08:42 PM.
    Bill G and Jim in MA like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2014
    Massachusetts
    Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II & X-terra 705; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i & DFX
    23316 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Nice job on the finds!

OBN
    us
    Dec 2008
    Mid-Atlantic Waters
    Excalibur
    5112 times
    Gold rings..29..Misc/gold 4...Silver/Sterling 97..FTY
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    The wheels are turning all ready. A external battery for the TDI Beachhunter...Very easy to do and you would never have to worry about changing the batteries. Now all I need to do is buy one.....giving that manta till early spring..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181209_000222.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	352.3 KB 
ID:	1658968
    Last edited by OBN; Dec 08, 2018 at 11:55 PM.

Effort is Important, But knowing where, can make all the difference!

Jul 2013
    1023 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Very cool!

us
    Sep 2013
    Sutter Creek, Ca.
    Whites 6000di pro plus Whites id beach hunter Minelab pointer. Minelab Xterra 705 Ibuprofen
    81 times
    Metal Detecting
    I have a beach hunter id and it works well in water. I have to say fresh water as I live in the California foothills. It takes a while to get the ground bal. right but it works well for what it's made for. It did develop a small leak in the case. Sent it into Whites and got a new case, ring, three way switch and new seals all around. It cost me 150.00 but have a for all practical uses a new machine that doesn't leak.

Jul 2013
    1023 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    TDI beach hunter ID!!!...Now that would be an awesome machine!

us
    "Dew" Meeker

Mar 2006
    Gulf Coast, Fl
    MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
    974 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Joe..... wont you have to have the external battery producing at least the same voltage.... or wont it just equalize out to the external voltage as well as MAH storage. If more voltage increases the depth...... would you loose depth on a weak battery? Seems there is no voltage regulation. How likely is it Joe to add a PP switch to be used on the GB on and off?

OBN
    us
    Dec 2008
    Mid-Atlantic Waters
    Excalibur
    5112 times
    Gold rings..29..Misc/gold 4...Silver/Sterling 97..FTY
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by dewcon4414 View Post
    Joe..... wont you have to have the external battery producing at least the same voltage.... or wont it just equalize out to the external voltage as well as MAH storage. If more voltage increases the depth...... would you loose depth on a weak battery? Seems there is no voltage regulation. How likely is it Joe to add a PP switch to be used on the GB on and off?
    TDI BH, Stock battery is around 12 volts I believe, run time about 6 to 7 hours. I'll be putting on a 16.8, 76wh (work hours), 5200mah. Yes, Most PI's are current driven, VLF's are voltage regulated. On the GB, very easy. Just come off of the Pot that is used, which may have to be disconnected. Still waiting for the fisher but come early spring, I need deep. I'm betting there will be little difference in depth since the Fisher runs 16 volts also. Discrimination, I'm not looking for...but with the GB mod on the TDI it could be interesting. Just need a smaller coil on both the Fisher and the TDI....12 is just to big, When coil control is important in deeper waters.

Effort is Important, But knowing where, can make all the difference!

us
    "Dew" Meeker

Mar 2006
    Gulf Coast, Fl
    MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
    974 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    No kidding ....... why has companies determined water hunters/beach hunter has to have a big coil? On a PI depth wont be that much difference anyway from say a 10 to 12 inch coil... unlike a VLF. Plus who wants to FIGHT with a big coil in moving water which gives you very poor coil control..... then if it floats..... ugh. A lot will also depend on tones Joe...... most know what the TDI is..... but what will the disc and tones on the fisher give us? If its better on identifying targets..... it will be an easy choice.

us
    Aug 2017
    Boynton Beach, FL
    White's Coinmaster Pro
    1 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Great machine! Have been using it for a few months and it is very sensitive to gold and silver. With ground balance on you get dual tones and can hear an iron sound. Itís a little heavy, so use a sling or move the control box to your belt. I recently got my RNB 3100 Lithium battery pack to work with this detector. Extends the usage time and yields 12.4 volts for much longer than AA batteries or the standard HD rechargeables also is much lighter.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links