Detector(s) used
Current detectors;
Minelab Excalibur II
Garrett XL500 “Super Pulse”
White’s MX7
White’s XL PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's another tip......keep the Threshold really low. If it's noisy from wind and waves and you are having problems hearing then still keep the Threshold low but turn the Volume up.
The TDIBH in GB OFF will let you hear those "ghost" changes in Threshold but not if the Threshold is turned up too much.

Tony

PS........Try running the Threshold a fraction below the "solid" audio level, effectively just into the quiet zone. You will know this position because the Threshold pot will feel like it's not physically moving at all but you will hear the audio just "drop off" into this "power zone".....a bit hard to explain until you try it out yourself. The machine is kind of "super tuned".....and then adjust the Volume upwards.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice job on the finds! :occasion14:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
The wheels are turning all ready. A external battery for the TDI Beachhunter...Very easy to do and you would never have to worry about changing the batteries. Now all I need to do is buy one...:hello2:..giving that manta till early spring..

20181209_000222.jpg

Last edited:

tahomatom

Sep 3, 2013
Sutter Creek, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000di pro plus
Whites id beach hunter
Got rid of the Minelab pointer,
Then got a Garrett. Much better pointer.
Minelab Xterra 705
Ibuprofen
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a beach hunter id and it works well in water. I have to say fresh water as I live in the California foothills. It takes a while to get the ground bal. right but it works well for what it's made for. It did develop a small leak in the case. Sent it into Whites and got a new case, ring, three way switch and new seals all around. It cost me 150.00 but have a for all practical uses a new machine that doesn't leak.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe..... wont you have to have the external battery producing at least the same voltage.... or wont it just equalize out to the external voltage as well as MAH storage. If more voltage increases the depth...... would you loose depth on a weak battery? Seems there is no voltage regulation. How likely is it Joe to add a PP switch to be used on the GB on and off?

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Joe..... wont you have to have the external battery producing at least the same voltage.... or wont it just equalize out to the external voltage as well as MAH storage. If more voltage increases the depth...... would you loose depth on a weak battery? Seems there is no voltage regulation. How likely is it Joe to add a PP switch to be used on the GB on and off?

TDI BH, Stock battery is around 12 volts I believe, run time about 6 to 7 hours. I'll be putting on a 16.8, 76wh (work hours), 5200mah. Yes, Most PI's are current driven, VLF's are voltage regulated. On the GB, very easy. Just come off of the Pot that is used, which may have to be disconnected. Still waiting for the fisher but come early spring, I need deep. I'm betting there will be little difference in depth since the Fisher runs 16 volts also. Discrimination, I'm not looking for...but with the GB mod on the TDI it could be interesting. Just need a smaller coil on both the Fisher and the TDI....12 is just to big, When coil control is important in deeper waters.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No kidding ....... why has companies determined water hunters/beach hunter has to have a big coil? On a PI depth wont be that much difference anyway from say a 10 to 12 inch coil... unlike a VLF. Plus who wants to FIGHT with a big coil in moving water which gives you very poor coil control..... then if it floats..... ugh. A lot will also depend on tones Joe...... most know what the TDI is..... but what will the disc and tones on the fisher give us? If its better on identifying targets..... it will be an easy choice.

Len-e

Aug 11, 2017
Boynton Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Great machine! Have been using it for a few months and it is very sensitive to gold and silver. With ground balance on you get dual tones and can hear an iron sound. It’s a little heavy, so use a sling or move the control box to your belt. I recently got my RNB 3100 Lithium battery pack to work with this detector. Extends the usage time and yields 12.4 volts for much longer than AA batteries or the standard HD rechargeables also is much lighter.

ivanll

Jul 5, 2008
TNQ
Spare battery case slightly modified to take 4 x 18650 Li-ion 3500 mAh cells will power a TDI BH, SL or SPP all day.

DSCF0569.JPG

ivanll

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Spare battery case slightly modified to take 4 x 18650 Li-ion 3500 mAh cells will power a TDI BH, SL or SPP all day.

View attachment 1660996

ivanll

Like to see a picture of your work and details on the batteries used? I just made a battery pack for my heated gloves using the Samsung 3.7 volts 2600 mAh 18650 Li-ion. Gloves are 7.4 volt..

I'm guessing but you must be MAx charging the battery's to get that many volts from 4.

20181211_172727.jpg

Last edited:

ivanll

Jul 5, 2008
TNQ
4 x Keeppower Protected 18650 cells, newly installed in battery case without the lid ........... 1 Amp load.

DSCF0578_600.JPG

ivanll

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Added depth is great...... but a lot of times if the sand has everything buried gold just isnt there unless something moves. Winter months can be good hunting...... longer tide swings, deeper tides pulling targets off the beach more than in the summer, at really low tides you can get more long shore drift and bigger waves from the lower water hitting the sand bars/slopes in the water...... and of course the wind as we get more strength from the jet stream. Watch the movement ...... then bring out those PIs.

brncofan

Jul 30, 2013
southwest ,CT
Detector(s) used
minelab e-trac,EQ 800,TDIpro,TDI beachunter,excal II OBN pp mod,excal 800 blue OBN pp mod,excal blue 1000
Primary Interest:
4 x Keeppower Protected 18650 cells, newly installed in battery case without the lid ........... 1 Amp load.

View attachment 1661118

ivanll

nice setup can you send me a link i would like to try these cells out just need to know where you bought them and extra battery case i just ordered my TDI BH TODAY any help would be great thanks ivan

ivanll

Jul 5, 2008
TNQ
Battery case used above is a modified AA cell battery case included with the TDI BH.

Keeppower protected 18650 Li-ion cells were purchased on e-Bay Australia, a charger for these cells are required.

ivanll

Jul 5, 2008
TNQ
More details as requested the lid need to be slightly flexible to accommodate and curve over the larger 18650 cells, beyond this it's a simple modification.

DSCF0590_600.JPG

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe...... in order to get that higher voltage woudnt you first have to change the batteries inside...... then the ones in the Pod have to be the same or they would equalize the voltage much like water will do with a restrictor to the lower voltage? Couple of hundred bucks for that pod mod...... but NOT opening that box would save you down the line id bet in repairs.

brncofan

Jul 30, 2013
southwest ,CT
Detector(s) used
minelab e-trac,EQ 800,TDIpro,TDI beachunter,excal II OBN pp mod,excal 800 blue OBN pp mod,excal blue 1000
Primary Interest:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Dew, these are the things I am thinking, and I haven't even got one yet........... external battery if I go the TDI, opening and closing that door is not a good thing over time if you are a "in the water hunter". Plus the batteries would not be limited to the size of the battery box. Being a external battery there are so many more options since the excalibur pod can hold a LiPo. See the TDI is a current driven machine, you hunt 6 hours, the last few hours your not at the top of your game on depth because the voltage is lower. With a external battery you could carry a extra battery and 3 hours into the hunt just change out batteries, the voltage stays at it's best, for deeper targets.......

Come on Fisher your testing my patients...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions