Whites TDI Beach Hunter.

Digger_O'Dell

May 11, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the TDI SL, which I understand is the same machine, just not waterproof. I have used it quite a bit, especially in highly mineralized areas and some on wet saltwater beaches. It takes some getting used to and lots of practice if you aren't familiar with PI machines. But the ability to see through stuff a vlf machine cant is amazing.
I would suggest looking up the TDI videos on YouTube. Some of them have pretty good instructional content for beginners.

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
I have one on the way to me right now as I type this. I am going to retire ( already got rid of) the old Sand Shark now that Tesoro is possibly going buy the wayside. I needed a new PI machine anyway and I have high hopes for this new Whites PI offering. My goal is to do quite a bit more salt water beach hunting this year.

All The Best,
Bill G

Last edited:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I have one on the way to me right now as I type this. I am going to retire ( already got rid of) the old Sand Shark now that Tesoro is possibly going buy the wayside. I needed a new PI machine anyway and I have high hopes for this new Whites PI offering.

All The Best,
Bill G

GOOD luck with the new machine.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I have 2 Whites Dual Field PI. Basically the same as a TDI, but a TDI has a ground balance, where the Dual Field has auto ground balance. I think all else is the same. DF is a great machine. Unlike old school PI, Whites PI Pro and Dual Gield are way ahead of all the old type PI in that they can pick up gold jewelry very well at depth, they are hot to it. Also some copper alloys, like old Spanish Silver cobs, which many treasure salvage crews are using old school PI and not doing well. Leaving lots of stuff behind. Dual Field is hot on that stuff. Plus it can tell you if you have rust and the size of your targets. Different sounds as opposed to old school with just beep at everything. I am sure the Beach TDI will be a great one. Not sure how much better than the Dual Field. I would like to try a comparison

OP
OP
Irishgoldhound

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Thanks guys. Bill G.. would like to hear your thoughts how it handles the water and wet sand once you get it. Good luck with the new machine!

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Bill G, where are you located? I am in Bradenton/Sarasota , FL and would like to see your TDI Beachand compare to the Dual Field, if possible. Steve. If it is better, then I might have to get one!

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve ...... not quite. The DF is a 15 uS machine and the TDI i believe runs at 10 uS. This can make the difference on smaller gold IF its capable to run at that uS in the salt water.

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
Bill G, where are you located? I am in Bradenton/Sarasota , FL and would like to see your TDI Beachand compare to the Dual Field, if possible. Steve. If it is better, then I might have to get one!

Steve,

I live in good old Bakersfield CA. I hunt out here on the West Coast when I can about an 1 1/2 drive for me to Pismo, Avila, Moro Bay areas. I can also run up south more towards the LA area beaches as well. If I lived closer I would for sure meet up with you. It would be one heck of a drive for me if I left today ..Lol

All The Best,
Bill G

Last edited:

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
Steve ...... not quite. The DF is a 15 uS machine and the TDI i believe runs at 10 uS. This can make the difference on smaller gold IF its capable to run at that uS in the salt water.

Steve,

The TDI Beach Hunter according to the owners manual has an adjustable pulse range. The knob adjust range from 10us. up to 25us.. The ranges on the control panel knob= 10us. to 15us. marked small gold/ 15us. to 20us. marked wet salt/ 20us. to 25us. marked large targets.

See pic's of controls. Sorry wish the pic's were better but its all I have at the time.

All The Best,
Bill G

Attachments

• tdi screen 2.jpg
    tdi screen 2.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 322
  • tdi screen.jpg
    tdi screen.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 266
Last edited:

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Great! Well let us know how it works in real life detecting and in at-the-beach-wetsand testing. I am sure we all want to know.

Jim in MA

Apr 21, 2011
Detector(s) used
Excal with Wot, Infinium LS , CZ7a PRO
I live 2 minutes from a fresh water beach,I have detected it countless times with a Excal with a 10 and 15 inch coils also with a Infinium with the large mono coil. I swam here back in the 60s so I know where the old part of the beach is. I have got many rings and silver coins in the past, But they have become far and few as I thought it was hunted out.
I got a TDI Beachhunter from Big Boys Hobbies, and all of these came from 6, 1.5 to 2 hour hunts in a 20 by 60 foot section of beach, that I thought was hunted out. There was no sand movement it is just a deep machine !
I now have a number of hunted out beaches that need to be hunted out again! I will be hitting the salt when the fresh freezes over, and I will let you know how it does there.
HH Jim

Attachments

• tdi.jpg
    tdi.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 328
OP
OP
Irishgoldhound

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
...now that’s what I wanna hear!! Sounds like it’s a deep machine. Nice finds! Keep the reviews comin thanks for the review

Octopulse

Mar 13, 2010
Perth
Detector(s) used
Current detectors;
Minelab Excalibur II
Garrett XL500 “Super Pulse”
White’s MX7
White’s XL PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very impressive machine....been using mine for about 2 months now.

1. Very deep with the after market 14.4V battery pack. About 2" - 3" extra depth on typical ring/coin sized targets compared to the stock battery.
2. Very smooth ( and deeper) threshold with GB OFF......becomes a single tone machine with GB OFF but the advantage is obvious.
3. With GB ON then you do get the two tone audio but the GAIN needs to be dropped back a bit otherwise the Threshold is a bit erratic.
4. Surprisingly smooth even at 10uS and with GAIN at about the 9 o'clock position but GB needs to be OFF for this extra performance and smooth running.
5. It is the deepest beach machine that I have ever used personally and just edges out the famous Deepstar which I tested/used many years ago.
6. The smooth threshold is NOT artificially quietened down with loss of sensitivity.......quite the opposite. GB Off lets you hear those microscopic changes in threshold.
7. If running with GB ON....be careful as the sensitivity on some gold targets is diminished depending on the GB setting.

Tony

PS....Just thought I'd add this last tip from my thread further down the page.....

Try running the Threshold a fraction below the "solid" audio level, effectively just into the quiet zone. You will know this position because the Threshold pot will feel like it's not physically moving at all but you will hear the audio just "drop off" into this "power zone".....a bit hard to explain until you try it out yourself. The machine is kind of "super tuned".....and then adjust the Volume upwards.

Last edited:

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006

1. Very deep with the after market 14.4V battery pack. About 2" - 3" extra depth on typical ring/coin sized targets compared to the stock battery.
2. Very smooth ( and deeper) threshold with GB OFF......becomes a single tone machine with GB OFF but the advantage is obvious.
3. With GB ON then you do get the two tone audio but the GAIN needs to be dropped back a bit otherwise the Threshold is a bit erratic.
4. Surprisingly smooth even at 10uS and with GAIN at about the 9 o'clock position but GB needs to be OFF for this extra performance and smooth running.
5. It is the deepest beach machine that I have ever used personally and just edges out the famous Deepstar which I tested/used many years ago.
6. The smooth threshold is NOT artificially quietened down with loss of sensitivity.......quite the opposite. GB Off lets you hear those microscopic changes in threshold.
7. If running with GB ON....be careful as the sensitivity on some gold targets is diminished depending on the GB setting.

Tony

Tony,

I just got my TDI Beach Hunter in today and want to thank you for the tips. Earlier today I did some test in the back yard on some coins. It was just air testing but what you just mentioned about the GB being on and off matched up to what I was seeing in my air testing. It's good to know the GB thing is performing simular on other TDI Beach Hunter detectors and may be a norm with this detector.

I still got to get mine to the beach and look forward to learning the detector.

Again thanks for the performance tips on how to run the detector.

All The Best,
Bill G

Attachments

• IMG_3281.JPG
    IMG_3281.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 614
  • IMG_3282.JPG
    IMG_3282.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 280
  • IMG_3278.JPG
    IMG_3278.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 379
Last edited:

Jim in MA

Apr 21, 2011
Detector(s) used
Excal with Wot, Infinium LS , CZ7a PRO

Tony

HOW DID YOU SET UP THE 14.8 VOLT BATTERY?
THIS IS MINE.I CUT THE TRAY SO 1/2 THE TRAY AND BATTERY SLIDE IN.

Attachments

• B TDI.jpg
    B TDI.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 477

Octopulse

Mar 13, 2010
Perth
Detector(s) used
Current detectors;
Minelab Excalibur II
White’s MX7
White’s XL PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to have helped out a bit......you will need to do some stretching exercises before digging with this monster !

Tony,

I just got my TDI Beach Hunter in today and want to thank you for the tips. Earlier today I did some test in the back yard on some coins. It was just air testing but what you just mentioned about the GB being on and off matched up to what I was seeing in my air testing. It's good to know the GB thing is performing simular on other TDI Beach Hunter detectors and may be a norm with this detector.

I still got to get mine to the beach and look forward to learning the detector.

Again thanks for the performance tips on how to run the detector.

All The Best,
Bill G

Octopulse

Mar 13, 2010
Perth
Detector(s) used
Current detectors;
Minelab Excalibur II
White’s MX7
White’s XL PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure if I am allowed to post external links but I (and a few others) have posted extensive information on our TDIBH battery setups. Lots of details and pictures.
Have a look at the White's section within DetectorProspector.

HH,

HOW DID YOU SET UP THE 14.8 VOLT BATTERY?
THIS IS MINE.I CUT THE TRAY SO 1/2 THE TRAY AND BATTERY SLIDE IN.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread