Just Installed A Handle On My New Whites Medium Hex Sand Scoop

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
It took a little work to cut down sand and fit this hardwood shovel handle to my new Whites medium hex sand scoop. It is my understanding that the scoop is manufactured by Sito for Whites.

The scoop is very nice and the quality seems to be there.The issue was the 1 1/8" diameter tube that the handle fits into had weld bleed through showing from the bracing welds. This was of course great penetration with the welding but they should have cleaned it up inside the tube.

I ground the penatration bleed through down smooth with a long dramel tool solving the fit up issues this would have caused with the handle fitting smoothly into the tube.

I also drilled and added a second screw hole to hold the handle in place with now two stainless steel screws. It was a little bit of work but I am very pleased with the outcome.

Happy Detecting To All,
Bill G

Attachments

• IMG_3270.JPG
    IMG_3270.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 117
  • IMG_3269.JPG
    IMG_3269.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 128
  • IMG_3268.JPG
    IMG_3268.JPG
    437.3 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_3267.JPG
    IMG_3267.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 130
Upvote 0

bigmike

Jan 5, 2007
Oregon
Detector(s) used
fisher 1266xb
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Looks great! nice work. How much weight did that handle add? Looks like a sturdy set up for sure.

OP
OP
Bill G

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
Looks great! nice work. How much weight did that handle add? Looks like a sturdy set up for sure.

Mike,

I am not sure on the handle as I did not weigh it before installing it. The scoop spec out there depending on were you look on forums and web pages say around 2.2 to 2.4 Lbs give or take on the scoop itself if I recall correctly and I may be off a little here on my information. It is a nice sturdy rig and I think it will serve me well.

All The Best,
Bill G

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For my type of use, it would never hold up. Not enough gusseting to keep the stress points from cracking. Should work fine for dry sand and mild wet sand use though.

OP
OP
Bill G

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
For my type of use, it would never hold up. Not enough gusseting to keep the stress points from cracking. Should work fine for dry sand and mild wet sand use though.

I hunt wet beach shore lines and out about to my knee or hip in water and some dry. I don't swim well enough to go out deep in the ocean so this scoop is perfect for my needs.

All The Best,
Bill G

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the surf, I like to make quick recoveries before the next wave hits. In doing so, I tend to take a big slug of sand with my scoop. That puts a big strain on the corners and upper plate. That's where you'll usually see the first signs of metal fatigue and failure. If you have any rocky areas, hard pan, or sand with lots of shells or cobble, they're pretty hard on a scoop too.

OP
OP
Bill G

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
In the surf, I like to make quick recoveries before the next wave hits. In doing so, I tend to take a big slug of sand with my scoop. That puts a big strain on the corners and upper plate. That's where you'll usually see the first signs of metal fatigue and failure. If you have any rocky areas, hard pan, or sand with lots of shells or cobble, they're pretty hard on a scoop too.

I totally understand. What scoop have you had the best luck with holding up to the abuse?

All The Best,
Bill G

HI-McDunnogh

Sep 7, 2018
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

What's your go to scoop/handle cudamark?

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sure hope Stavros knows that imitation is a form of flattery!! Lots of copies of his great designs available now. I think my Stavro Scoop Evroexcavator may be a little stronger than the Whites copy. It is a very good design, you should be happy with it. I used a fiberglass post hole digger handle on mine and used an acrylic sealer on the end where it goes into the scoop to prevent water and fine sand from getting in there.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I totally understand. What scoop have you had the best luck with holding up to the abuse?

All The Best,
Bill G

I've had the best luck with the Sunspot scoops. I have a reinforced Stealth 720 with a wooden handle for working in rocks/cobble/shells, and a 920ix with a carbon fiber handle for everything else. IMO, Sunspot has the best guaranty in the business and top quality scoops. Xtreme scoops is another good quality one, just not quite as good a guarantee.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread