Fighting the waves

cyperpc

Nov 18, 2012
Bucks County, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800;Fisher CZ-21; White Classic IDX Pro; White Classic SL
I been tiring to hunt at low tide in two feet of water. The waves are hard on me and the MD. So far I have found nothing in this area of water. My best finds have been on the towel line which is mostly clad coins and beer caps. The other area are the entry points to the beach. What is the best way to hurt in the shore line?

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't do well in the water so gave up a couple years ago. The towel line is best. I found a lot of gold rings there in the past, didn't do much at the beach this year.

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hit the low tides. Very productive areas there too.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Can you give us a general Idea where you hunt..body of water. Easier to fine tune to your needs knowing some details.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cape May NJ

In dry sand, the towel line and picnic areas. In wet sand - that is, below the high tide line, zig-zag between the water and where the dry sand starts. Continue to zig-zag until you find the seam where the coins have settled out.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Low tide. Start at the high water mark and detect straight down into the water knee deep take one step to the side, turn around, and detect up to the high tide mark. Just grid like that and you'll find the "goodie line" in the wet sand!:skullflag:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use the tide chart to find low tide. Then decide how much time you have to hunt the intertidal zone. If you have 2 hours, then start 1 hour before low tide (the ebb) and hunt until 1 hour after low tide (the flood). We fossil hunt at low tides and try to hunt 2 hours before through 2 hours after low tide. This time of year, its more comfortable to hunt a low tide when the sun is up. Wind from the N-NE will bring lower water while SE winds will bring higher water.

Last edited:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cape may is tough hunting, there's a local club there that hits those beaches hard !! They hunt at night and early morning and clean it up good. They are pretty territorial and will call the law on intruders to have your beach pass checked. I know this because the cop that was called on me told me all about these guys and said they call quite often to have out of towners checked for beach passes in an effort to get them removed from the beaches. He even pointed out the person who called on me. The cop was getting sick of these calls and was not happy with this group. I still got 1 gold ring and it came from the dry sand. It was the only good find in 3 days of hunting. Those big beach grooming machines may have something to do with the my lack of finds also. Dont be discouraged though just keep swinging and it'll happen for you. Lots of history in that town. Try some permission hunting there it's way more productive. Seems like every house is old there.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try hunting from HIGH tide line to the water hitting those low spots........ after a bit of time ..... look back at your digs that will give you a target line. Take into consideration..... what kind of targets you are finding too. Most stuff in the surf near the low tide is going to move that shallow. In a lot of cases you get larger swells at low tide too. Your goal should be to find the targets and get a good picture of where,WHY, and what is there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread