Do any wear wetsuits to hunt? (anti jellies, black flies, etc.)

cathexis

Sep 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With our normally cold water, we wear wet suits all the time if we're in the water any length of time.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a 7mm 2 piece with a farmer john - its for extreme cold
in cooler waters will wear farmer john with a lighter dive jacket on top
warmer waters up here - which to most is not that warm - I will wear the dive jacket
in Fla. and caribean waters I will wear a long sleeve sweat shirt to keep jellies off
I will wear 7mm gloves in cold but in warmer waters will usually always wear some sort
of glove - always protect my hands and feet - with gloves you can push jellies aside
I will wear lycra or bike short under my trunks to keep them off my thighs

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fla. waters have a lot of man o wars now - they float on surface so good to wear a thin glove with rubberized palms
you can push them out of the way or pick them up and toss them out deeper

OP
OP
C

cathexis

Sep 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yah, I have gloves too. Forgot to mention that. I know many beach combers wear just full length pants/khakis and long-sleeves for the shore.
I thought some kind of combo or just wetsuit for moving in/out along the shore. Guess I might look kinda silly working high tide line in a wetsuit though.

Andrew

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im a water hunter even in the summer I were a 1 mil keeps the sun off and things that bit and sting

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, all the time. Even in summer i wear a 3 mm wetsuit, keeps me protected from the sun.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I just wear surf trunks and rash guard. I would feel constricted in a wetsuit. Also I don’t want to look like a seal to the sharp teeth guys.

Hookka

Apr 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett AT GOLD, Minelab Equinox 800, Tesoro Sandshark, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wear a shorty or short sleeved one here. I'm not terribly worried about jellies. It's nice to stay a little warmer at the night when I'm out. It doesn't get too cold here, but it does get chilly in winter. Although I'm not really worried about jellies we have a ton of them. It's nice to have peace of mind most times I can walk right into them and not get stung, the same goes for surf shoes for blue crabs and smaller rays. However I don't think they would have done much good with the eagle ray I saw last night...

As for the day, maybe a rash guard for the sun. If it's been a while and I need to get rid of my farmers tan I'll leave it off [emoji23]

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wear a thin 3/2 wetsuit with back zipper in the winter ... 7mm is too much for me down here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread