Excal makes loud constant noise after short time of use. ???

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
My Excal which is the original type with green handled, blue sword on body, probably original battery, after sometimes short use starts making constant loud sound and will not really pick up targets. Too loud, even with thresh hold turned down. Manual says low battery. I checked it with multimeter and it says 11.55 volts. Does it do this at less than 12 volts? I have used it many times for 12 hours straight, charged overnight, and many times for a few hours, multiple days then charged and never had this happen. It was stored and threshold was on and battery was dead. I charged it overnight and used it maybe 2 hours it did this. Charged it and next time only 10 minutes and it did it. I checked the voltage then at 11.55. Is battery going bad? My Whites can get down to 10 volts before it starts getting weak. Any clues?

Upvote 0

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I would say the battery, how old is the battery? OMG......Original sword battery, I would say you are long over due. Get a EX-3000 battery and let us know.

Last edited:

bklein

Feb 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try and check the voltage also at the circuit card in the pod.
you could also kludge up a variable power supply to see the operational range. I’ve used 11.1v lipoly’s and its worked fine but not sure the input range allowed.

OP
OP
stevemc

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
OBN, I am sure you are right. I did a search here, but nothing came up. After I posted here I did an online search and there was a YouTube video by OBN and it started making the same sounds before it went fully loud. I agree a 25 plus year old battery is old. I have seen them on eBay. Thanks all.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep your battery is shot unless you notice any water on the terminals and then you have a bad bushing and its shorting. It sounds like the original battery and its toast. It should read 13.4? max, 12.5v will give some use and low battery warning at 11v. I use the volt meter to make sure she took a charge since there's no indicator.

OP
OP
stevemc

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I did test the charger-working, and with just maybe 30 minutes charging the battery is up to 13.53 volts. It also works fine. I have it back on charge though. I have the original type with a square battery pod attaching flange as opposed the angled one of the newer models. A new pod and a new battery are quite pricy. I will get the slide in new battery, and wire it up. Thanks all

OP
OP
stevemc

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Here’s some pics. Not sure if the battery is original. All black shrink wrap. Side attachment for connections

OP
OP
stevemc

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Here are the pics.

Attachments

• 87716A3B-8ED4-4B2A-A536-7F6D2F80C7FC.jpeg
    87716A3B-8ED4-4B2A-A536-7F6D2F80C7FC.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 117
  • CB766C60-78AE-4C2B-B75C-6DEE8BA80777.jpeg
    CB766C60-78AE-4C2B-B75C-6DEE8BA80777.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 92
  • 4EDB6581-F962-4759-8A2E-8ED21531A800.jpeg
    4EDB6581-F962-4759-8A2E-8ED21531A800.jpeg
    754 KB · Views: 94

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like OBN, it is the low battery alarm. As long as the pod is still good you can buy a replacement battery and swap it out with the old. Battery cost is about $60.

OP
OP
stevemc

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yes, I am sure it is the battery. Thanks all! I will get one soon.

bklein

Feb 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep your battery is shot unless you notice any water on the terminals and then you have a bad bushing and its shorting. It sounds like the original battery and its toast. It should read 13.4? max, 12.5v will give some use and low battery warning at 11v. I use the volt meter to make sure she took a charge since there's no indicator.
I would think my 11.1v lipoly would be a risk then. Adding another would be 14.4V - any idea what the max. voltage could be? Probably not enough room in the pod...

Last edited:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I would think my 11.4v lipoly would be a risk then. Adding another would be 15.4V - any idea what the max. voltage could be? Probably not enough room in the pod...

I've run a Thunder Power Lipo at 16.8 volts on the excalibur and it seems to do well. I know the Ex-3000 is only 12.6 volts and I get about the same amount of hours out of each. The 16.8 Lipo when 12.0 volts, the excal starts to give me the low battery warning, the Ex-3000 12.6 volt give me the warning around 10.0 volts, so different batteries have different (load) points it will set the alarm off.
OBN0148 (3).jpg

OP
OP
stevemc

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
That is good to know! I am in the market but still not quite sure which one. Thanks for the tips.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe (OBN) is spot on about that lith battery. Great ones. Ive used the Maxxpacks.....3 all went south when the so called smart charger wouldnt recognize the battery. also ..... like most batteries they arent under load. Man.... what is that a 700MAH battery? You sure got the use out of that baby.

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The EX-3000 is the way to go. It will last approximately 50 hours per charge.
It comes with a smart LI-Ion charger and did fit my Sword's pod.
Got to believe it is the battery, especially if you do get a few low battery warning tones before the continuous loud sound.

DON'T forget to use the rubber seal that should be on the battery connector going to the detector. Without this seal your are sure to destroy the batter, especially in salt water.

OP
OP
stevemc

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yes WaterWalker, I do have the black rubber seal. I do plan to get EX3000. I am sure it is the battery. I used it for an hour or so and it is down to 12.5. Going to use it again or just turn it on and see how long it last. I am sure it is the battery. Yes it starts by making a loud beep for a second then again and again for maybe 12 times then constant squealing.

softsand

Mar 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the same problem and it did turn out to be the battery. Had sent it to Kellyco, they couldn't find anything wrong with machine, replaced battery with a generic and new charger that goes down to trickle charge. That battery didn't last very long, then same problem. I made a battery pod, now using AA batteries, working fine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread