Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Why nickels?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    D. Meeker

Mar 2006
    Gulf Coast, Fl
    Blue Xcals and CTX
    955 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)

Why nickels?

most people get all excited about finding nickels the Nox is no exception in that it finds a lot of them MOST, not all fall in the digit 13. So i got out about 150 gold rings just to see where some hit. Ive attached the photos.... of the 3, yes 3 rings that hit as a nickel 13. Ive also attached two other photos....... one is digit 14 pull tabs and the other .... bottle caps 15. I thought this might hold some value for those who like to disc. By the way....there were 9 rings that fell in the 12 digit.....for the most part deep or broken tabs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0135.JPG 
Views:	138 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	1657207   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0136.JPG 
Views:	117 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	1657208   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0137.JPG 
Views:	97 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	1657209  
    Last edited by dewcon4414; Dec 03, 2018 at 11:52 AM.
    Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.... John Wooden.

Aug 2016
    MI
    E-TRAC
    2683 times
    Good post! How did you position the rings on the ground? Compare a vertically positioned ring to a horizontal ring.
    Hawks88 likes this.

OBN
    us
    Dec 2008
    Mid-Atlantic Waters
    Excalibur
    5029 times
    Gold rings..16..Misc/gold 2...Silver/Sterling 45..FTY
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I can call nickels with the xcalibur most of the time, unless it is fairly deep. They sound to good to be gold, same with the pull tabs...but we still dig them all. I just try and put myself where there is less of the one and more of the other. Wish I had a reason to buy a Nox..just does not fit into my hunting needs.

Some Nice looking golds by the way!!
    DJWEHAGE, Hawks88 and RustyGold like this.

Effort is Important, But knowing where, can make all the difference!

Jul 2014
    150 times
    Same exact targets on dry sand versus wet sand (salt water), how do the numbers vary? One or two digits?

us
    ARRG

Feb 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
    237 times
    Shipwrecks
    The first and only time I used an Equinox 800 was a couple months ago, with a friend who has a detector store near me in Bradenton, FL. We went to the beach and found a good clean area. I had several gold rings, 10 carat thin, 14 carat thin and thick, 18 carat thin. Also a nickel and a stainless steel 1/4Ē washer. I use that washer when I test all of my detectors. On the test with things on the surface, the washer and a thin 14 carat ring both rang up 21. When buried deeper I think they both rang up 14. There were numbers all over the place if is wet salt sand, on surface or buried, dry sand etc. donít trust the numbers. Kind of like the Excal, if it is anything but iron dig it. And yes the Excal can make some good sounds, but still dig any non ferrous. I have an Excal with a big SEF coil and in pinpoint it will find stuff deep, but in disc it canít tell what it is. I dig it up and itís iron. But if I was hunting in disc I wouldnít have heard it. One really nice thing about the Equinox is it is super light.
    Hawks88 and RustyGold like this.

us
    D. Meeker

Mar 2006
    Gulf Coast, Fl
    Blue Xcals and CTX
    955 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    This just happened to be the Nox....but how many of you PATTERN hunt? I know a few who do and some get tired of digging the bottle caps. But I did it not just to see if our fascination with nickels over the other two make them more attractive to look for. You are right Joe ... most us us have enough time on our machine to know what we are digging. I also believe I had as many that hit in the penny range...around 21. Any variation in depth, position, near targets, or corrosion/discoloring can change it all. But of all the coins ...nickels makes us think there has to be gold near... just like sinkers.

the Xcal hates iron ...so for the most in disc you just wont hear much from it.
    Last edited by dewcon4414; Dec 03, 2018 at 03:41 PM.
    Hawks88 likes this.
    Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.... John Wooden.

ca
    Hawks88

Aug 2012
    Niagara falls
    Equinox 600, fisher gold bug pro.
    6796 times
    Thank you for sharing all that info. Much appreciated. Nice rings.
    RustyGold likes this.

us
    Dec 2014
    ct
    excal II CZ21 sov gt
    15 times
    yes thats why you just have to dig it all!
    RustyGold and Hawks88 like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    OC, CA
    XP Deus, Equinox 800 & 600 720i Stealth Scoop
    5987 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Good post, thanks!
    Hawks88 likes this.

We are not what we take, we are what we leave.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, White's TDI SL, Tesoro Tejon
    18371 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    Very nice rings. You really do have to dig all the non ferrous, although 99% of the time I can guess which pull tab it is. However the 1% is gold.
    Hawks88 likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2010
    Northern California
    MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
    551 times
    In the fresh water lakes where I hunt nickels have always hit at 13, 14k rings at a solid 11 and 10k rings at 8, I dig all targets when in the water, this is using the Equinox 600. To be honest at the end of the day I always revert back to my Excalibur.
    Hawks88 likes this.

us
    D. Meeker

Mar 2006
    Gulf Coast, Fl
    Blue Xcals and CTX
    955 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    With the Nox....... rings are just all over the place. The ones youd expect to hit hard near say 18 ..... like that very heavy nugget ring (15 digit)..... dont. Ive got a lot of thick heavy bands that hit low...... and thinner ones in the 16/17 range....... or down as low as 2. We do know in a good many of the cases what we are digging....... but that surprised percentage makes digging necessary. Yes those were air tests....... but most didnt change digit wise unless you were a good 10" out......and i was using beach 2 mode. I used to dirt hunt a lot....... i was all smiles to bring home a nickel.... or even a couple of wheat pennies...... now i wonder why? Most arent real collectable and as a beach hunter....... we still seem to gauge in some way how many nickels we found for the day. But clearly....... the percentages say pull tabs bottle caps and foil might be more promising.
    Hawks88 likes this.

Oct 2014
    New Hampshire
    Minelab excalibur blue tube 1000 Fisher cz-6a, 1265x, Whites eagle IIsl
    275 times
    Thereís a recent vid by Tony Eisenhower on YouTube that he did with a large amount of gold and silver rings. End result was gold hit just about everywhere on his chart 26 and below for Nox vdis.

us
    D. Meeker

Mar 2006
    Gulf Coast, Fl
    Blue Xcals and CTX
    955 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Also, conditions, depth, and position play a huge part as to what a target may read on any given machine as well. Air testing ..... well ... we arent doing that once the coil hits that sand or dirt...... but its a starting point so for new hunters i dont count on it as fact and disc a lot of targets when water hunting.

Apr 2013
    Garrett AT PRO, Garrett AT GOLD, Minelab Equinox 800, Tesoro Sandshark, Garrett Carrot
    99 times
    Oh man, I misread another post and have been passing on many promising signals the last two times I've been out... Oh well, live and learn. Hopefully I can make up for it this time out. I was wondering why it seemed like my equinox only liked silver and junk...

Passed up on half a dozen 5-9 signals in areas that typically give up the goods.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links