Shear determination vs intelligent hunting

cladpirate

Apr 24, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,
I'm just recently getting back into metal detecting and first time water hunting. I started hunting beaches mid last summer, and to date have only found only five gold rings and one pendant. I'm on the gulf side of florida and dont see much in the way of cuts or sand movement in my area, but local hunters are demolishing me on the numbers some pulling in more than 50 gold rings in a year. Am I not moving to different beaches enough, I only hunt three or four local beaches at this time but focus on the closest to me or is it that I dont grid as much as I could but instead move a w pattern in the surf? I'm not retired so I already have a huge disadvantage to most hunters who get out daily. I'm feeling desperate to up my finds count at this point and feel like I am not hunting as smart as I could. If anyone who is not my competition would chime in with some unbiased tips or oppinions I would be ever so grateful. Thank you!!

Upvote 0

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Hard to reach that number if your not retired. And your sure they are getting 50 a year? I only know of one hunter in Florida that comes close to that number and they are on the east coast.

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think someone is pulling your leg.

And pick everything you can hear out of the volleyball courts.

Last edited:

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
no where near 50 this year as I am closer to just over 15 and I am not retired. My retired friend has less than 20 for this year, heck even a very seasoned hunter who we all know very well and is retired has less than 20 this year. All of us are west coast florida beach hunters.

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got 9 gold this year. the red tide has kill us this year.

OP
OP
C

cladpirate

Apr 24, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply guys. I guess I'll never know unless I get out there. I'll let the sea be my mistress and show me all her secrets. I will be the beach and perhaps my shear determination will leed me to be an intelligent hunter.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What machine are you using? How many hours per hunt?

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like Ron said - Ive heard red tide is keeping people out of the water and finds have been slimmer over on gulf

OP
OP
C

cladpirate

Apr 24, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What machine are you using? How many hours per hunt?

I'm using the Excalibur II, minimum 2 hrs but usually more than four on weekends. Trying to get out before low tide.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm using the Excalibur II, minimum 2 hrs but usually more than four on weekends. Trying to get out before low tide.

What are your settings on the Excal?

Getting the Pin Point mod completely changed my hunting methods - faster and more productive.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only got one, which is way less than 2017, the difference is I abandoned the beach this year.

OP
OP
C

cladpirate

Apr 24, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What are your settings on the Excal?

Getting the Pin Point mod completely changed my hunting methods - faster and more productive.

I've been hunting in discrim, 7 sense, 0 disc, volume full and threshold barely audible. I just did the peltor mod and am looking to try it this weekend. I may do a peizo pinpoint evntually if I can find the correct 8 core wire that Tony uses.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recommend Disc setting at 1, Sensitivity at Auto or just off Auto depending on site, Volume as high as you can stand, Threshold where it's comfortable, and hunt in Pin Point (all metal). As Deep mentioned, the pin point mod to the handle is a real time saver. Highly recommended! :icon_thumleft:

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
50 golds RINGS a year is pretty lofty..... but some do it..... and yes they live on the beach. No one is doing it on their lunch hour..... no one. I hunt 7 or 8 hours when im out there several days a week...... and i come home more times than not with the mumbles. BUT...... location plays a big part too here in Fl. Rotation beaches does help..... in that you learn the beaches and which might produce during certain conditions. Like fishermen........ there are a lot of stories being told lol. To me its not a competition...... or at least not one im winning and you cant let it become a way of life either...... just make it a hobby and have fun. You arent going to get rich...... but it sure is fun to build a collection that family and friends enjoy going thru when they visit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions